Winter Warmer?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

caravanman

Engineer
Hi folks, I am trying to plan another trip to America, and Amtrak, but money is tight just now..I see that there are real cheap fares in January, and Judith says she could manage without my grumpy face being around then,

so I am thinking hard about visiting at that time. My question is: I understand that trains may be delayed, or cancelled due to snow, etc, but supposing they are running, are they going to be well heated and comfy aboard train, or is it "hats, gloves, and 2 overcoats" in the winter. I am imagining going from New York, to Chicago, Seattle, L.A.,and possibly down to Miami, where I don't expect to wear the gloves!

I am not concerned about temperatures off the train, only while aboard. Any wintertime Amtrak user's experiences most appreciated!

Ed

B)

I've never been cold on a train in the winter. Granted I usually wear a long sleve shirt and in coach I might have a light jacket or sweater available, but that should be all that's needed.

In a sleeper you can even control your level of heat to some extent. In coach, the diner, and the lounge, you are at the mercy of the crew to set a desirable temperature.

But I've never needed to don hats, gloves, and my winter coat while on board, other than when I was preparing to get off the train.

caravanman said:
Hi folks,  I am trying to plan another trip to America, and Amtrak, <Snip>

I am not concerned about temperatures off the train, only while aboard. Any wintertime Amtrak user's experiences most appreciated!

Ed

B)
Aloha

The closest to a winter trip I have done was Los Angeles to Vancouver Canada, in November. There wasn't any time on the train that I felt cold. But on the ground when it goes below 70 we Hawaiians are in trouble. You should listen to us complain during our winter when it get to 58 at night. We are such wimps.

I would like to join you to see those parts of the country at that time of year, must be beautiful. That snow caped mountain in North California (?Dunnsmire) I will never forget the view.

spot1181 said:
However, the water may freeze up. No toilets, no coffee.
The Superliners don't seem to have that problem as much, as do the single level cars that are used mainly east of Chicago.

Back