Women and children drown on Tongan ferry

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DET63

Conductor
A survivor has described how the Tongan ferry Princess Ashika overturned and all the women and children perished, as searchers combed waters for survivors. 

The Princess Ashika was heading from Nuku'alofa to Ha'afeva, in the Nomuka Islands group, when it issued a mayday call just before 11pm last night, quickly followed by the release of a distress beacon.

Ha'afeva man Siaosi Lavaka said he saw one body recovered and only the men had reached the lifeboats after the MV Princess Ashika was overturned by heavy seas.

He feared none of the women and children survived.
Link

:(

A survivor has described how the Tongan ferry Princess Ashika overturned and all the women and children perished, as searchers combed waters for survivors. 

The Princess Ashika was heading from Nuku'alofa to Ha'afeva, in the Nomuka Islands group, when it issued a mayday call just before 11pm last night, quickly followed by the release of a distress beacon.

Ha'afeva man Siaosi Lavaka said he saw one body recovered and only the men had reached the lifeboats after the MV Princess Ashika was overturned by heavy seas.

Link

Sounds so much like the Dona Paz.

Link

Not quite that bad, but a reminder that travel in developing countries always has its inherent hazards, whether by boat, train, bus, plane, or on the back of an animal.

Last edited by a moderator:
More people died on the Doña Paz than on the Titanic. Does this mean we should expect to see a blockbuster movie made about it?

More people died on the Doña Paz than on the Titanic. Does this mean we should expect to see a blockbuster movie made about it?
I have often wondered why EVERYONE knows what the Titanic was, but nobody has ever heard of the Dona Paz! I know both disasters pretty well. Shipwrecks are an old hobby of mine.

Of course, the Titanic has a lot more star quality to it- super-luxurious ship, who's who list onboard, largest in the world, and supposedly unsinkable sinking on its maiden voyage to the sound of a full band playing.

The Dona Paz disaster is lot more macabre and a lot less... romantic? I've read reports, witness accounts, and so on that have turned my stomach on that one. The one I remember to this day, and still gives me nightmares thinking about it, was from one of the few survivors, translated as such: "One of my companions on the ship stood looking at the water, his family beside him. He looked at the water, deciding whether to die by burning on the ship, or by burning in the oily water. He then kisses his three children and his wife before quickly breaking their necks. He then, seemingly mortified by what he had to do in the name of love, jumped into the burning water below."

I've probably read that account a hundred times, and it still makes my hair stand on end.

I wonder if that story about the man killing his family on the Doña Paz is true, especially considering that someone near to it would have had to have witnessed it—and then survived.

Last edited by a moderator:
I wonder if that story about the man killing his family on the Doña Paz is true, especially considering that someone near to it would have had to have witnessed it—and then survived.
A handful of people actually did survive, believe it or not. I have no idea whether the story is true, but I did find it in an actual official report. I had it quoted in a report I did on the disaster, which is where I found the quote again. I'm sure I still have a hard copy of the report somewhere. I don't throw away anything- I'm the worlds worst pack-rat. But its probably in a plastic container in a stack of other similar plastic containers that is among a group of same sitting in a closet or storage room somewhere down here in my parent's basement.

As to the veracity of the Philippine reports and the people they took statements of, I have no clue.

Out Of Tragedy, Blessings Multiplied: Lost Ambulance Is Replaced By Two

Written: 9/22/2009
When the Princess Ashika ferry capsized en route to the Tongan Island of Vava'u in August, the hope of better medical care on the island went down with it. A supplies-filled ambulance, donated by the City of Sanger and United Methodist congregations in the California-Nevada Annual Conference, now rests alongside the ferry on the bottom of the Pacific Ocean.

The loss of the ambulance compounded a tragedy of epic proportions, when 73* people, including all the women and children aboard the vessel, were killed. It would be difficult to find a Tongan untouched by the tragedy, and in fact, three Cal-Nev clergy lost members of their own families.

So it is with a measure of joy and a huge helping of gratitude that the Rev. Siosifa ("Sifa") Hingano, pastor of Genesis UMC in San Jose, announces that the lost ambulance has been replaced - by two others!

*According to the British newspaper Lloyd's List, the original death toll of 90+ was revised downward when a group of people reported missing was found not to have been aboard, and some passengers thought to have perished were found unharmed.
More at the link above.

Back