Wouldn't you know?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gingee01

Train Attendant
Wouldn't you know when we just decide to take a train, we hear about the metrolink crash. I know our train is not one of those but gad, it does give you the creeps.

Yup it does. But then planes crash too, as do cars. It's a proven fact that you are safer on a train or in an airplane, than you are in your own car.

It's safe to say this is probably the worst wreck since the Bayou Canot incident of 1993. Even the Auto Train incident of 2002 doesn't come close to this, and that one was pretty bad.

But why does there always have to have either a train crash or a plane crash or a ship sinking (well I don't know of any lately) when I make plans to go on something like it.

Maybe it is Murphy's law. Well we have had our crash for the year so it has to leave me alone. No more crashes.

We've already got a topic on this running under the commuter forums, since these were commuter trains.

Please click here to view that topic and to place further updates.

Shouldn't this thread be locked up, AlanB, to prevent duplicate discussion on the same topic?

Gingee01 said:
But why does there always have to have either a train crash or a plane crash or a ship sinking (well I don't know of any lately) when I make plans to go on something like it.
You know something until recently I had similar luck. Just a couple of examples, TWA 847 went down a week before I flew cross-country for the first time. I flew the day after ValueJet crashed near Miami, and nothing happened to me either time except for experiencing bad airline food, but I can understand having some nerves about it.

I don't see this topic as relating to the Metrolink accident per se, I see it as someone who heard of a train accident (who has an upcoming Amtrak trip) who is just experiencing some nerves about that.

On a similar but unrelated topic, does anyone have any details about the Smithfield incident of 94? I've seen a few pictures of it on Railpictures.net of it, but don't recall the circumstances around it. Anyone remember it?

battalion51 said:
On a similar but unrelated topic, does anyone have any details about the Smithfield incident of 94? I've seen a few pictures of it on Railpictures.net of it, but don't recall the circumstances around it. Anyone remember it?
Wasn't it caused by Mr. Smith in the cafe car, with the wrench? :lol: :D

You could look on the bright side: the percentages are now in your favor, there probably won't be a deadly accident for a few years at least...

I guess I am the only one with the nerves. LOL

By the way, am I the only one on this board that is female?

Gingee01 said:
You are in a minority, but there are a few other female members. Radsmom, is one that comes to mind immediately and I'm sure that there are a couple of others.

Gingee01 said:
How many people are signed up?
I think these boards are part of the fun of traveling.
The number is listed near the bottom of the first page, right now its at 429. And we add new members every day, in fact at least 3 people signed up today.

Of course some only post once or twice and then seem to fade away, others just come to read the posts but don't always post, still others are here every day contributing new info and insights.

And we appreciate each and everyone of our members, no matter what catagory they fall into. :)

Let me also mention, that while there is no easy way for us to count them, I'm sure that we have a fair number of people who visit regulary as guests. Some even post on a rather frequent basis as guests.

AlanB said:
Gingee01 said:
You are in a minority, but there are a few other female members. Radsmom, is one that comes to mind immediately and I'm sure that there are a couple of others.
Diane and Breeze also contribute quite a bit.

Back