“Dark Territory” used by Amtrak

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oreius

OBS Chief
Most main railroad lines are signaled, and many have PTC. However, smaller short lines often have no signals—this is called “dark territory.” The WNYP, which runs on the former Erie-Lackawanna mainline between Hornell, NY and Meadville, PA is all dark territory. There is a signal in Corry, PA that protects the junction there with the former Philadelphia and Erie (Pennsylvania RR) line between Erie and Johnsonburg. Both lines cross at Corry Diamond. Are there any sections that Amtrak trains run on “dark territory?”

Adirondack in Canada and Ethan Allen Express in Vermont.

The article states the Adirondack only goes 10 mph on parts of the Rouses Point Subdivision. I don’t recall going THAT slow back in 2012. That’s really putsy-putsy! We probably did 25 mph on the segment from the CBSA facility to Cantic. Perhaps 35 at top speed between Cantic and the CN junction south of St. Lambert. I guess the condition of the track deteriorated more by 2018?

I was in the caboose Coach. I remember a CN track man boarded my car at Rouses Point. He then threw the switch which allowed the train to transfer to the Rouses Point Subdivision. He got off I believe after we cleared inspection…

Back