đźš‚ Amtrak One-Way Coach @ $683 âť“

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Devil's Advocate

⠀⠀⠀
I realize this is a long trip departing on Christmas day but I honestly did not know Amtrak coach was even programmed to reach these prices. It's not like most people would want the trip to be this long and who besides people with no other choice would ever entertain fares like this? In any case I hope Amtrak finds a way to operate standard length trains as soon as possible.

1640122797974.png

Looks like it isn't a direct train, so there may be an answer in determining which routing the website is trying to put you on.

I realize this is a long trip departing on Christmas day but I honestly did not know Amtrak coach was even programmed to reach these prices. It's not like most people would want the trip to be this long and who besides people with no other choice would ever entertain fares like this? In any case I hope Amtrak finds a way to operate standard length trains as soon as possible.

View attachment 26365
You don't want to the this route, it's convoluted and WAY to Expensive.

The Sunset Ltd ( 3 days. Week) would be much more reasonable most days it runs!

Looks like it isn't a direct train, so there may be an answer in determining which routing the website is trying to put you on.
As mentioned above thanks to the Sunset Limited's clumsy 3-per-week schedule this is the only routing available on that day. It seems like there should be a hardship discount applied to absurdly long coach trips like this. Or make the Sunset daily for a reasonable payment to the UP bridge troll and everybody wins.

You don't want to the this route, it's convoluted and WAY to Expensive. The Sunset Ltd ( 3 days. Week) would be much more reasonable most days it runs!
I've done it in a sleeper for less than today's coach fare. I'm just surprised they're not embarrassed to charge this much for Amtrak coach.

Business Class looks like a no-brainer on the OP's original itinerary!

Business class is just on the short STL > KCY portion.

That said, something is weird with this - I checked the three segments and the three segments separately are cheaper than all three together. The SWC looks to be the expensive bit, so I'm wondering if Amtrak's ticketing system is just hiccuping and throwing more segments into a higher bucket alongside it. It might also be that Amtrak simply doesn't want to sell that longer ticket (and would rather get multiple smaller segments) but I'm not sure the ticketing system is that smart.

Back