1st class lounge in Chicago

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ronnie1a

Train Attendant
Am taking the Empire Builder to Chicago in a bedroom then change to the Lakeshore Ltd to NYC. Have never been to Chicago and never been in a 1st class lounge. Wondering what to expect and how different (if any) is it from the regular waiting room? Assuming everything is on time it looks like I have about a 6 hour layover.

You'll love it! It is a large room with comfortable upholstered furniture, TV's, baggage room, snacks & soda fountain & the slowest computer on the planet. Leave your luggage in the manned baggage room (remember to tip the Red Cap Attendant) & check out the Station. Food Court is amazing, or walk around the streets of Chicago!

Have Fun

They have better, more comfortable seating than in the regular waiting room and they also have free coffee. You can also check carry on bags if you want to go eat or explore Chicago. On every occasion that my husband and I have been there, the 1st Class lounge has been PACKED with no seats available..... :blink:

It's a nice Lounge where you can unload your carry ons at the Attended Baggage Hold (tip a buck or 2 per bag), grab a comp soft drink or coffee and head out to explore the surroundings for a few hours. Since the LSL is last main train out for the day, you should pretty much have the place to yourself by the time you are called to board. They just put new furniture in there a little over a year ago and as of last January it was still holding up quite well. There are a couple big TVs usually tuned to CNN or similar and a couple status boards to let you know how your train stands.

You might want to consider dropping you bags at the lounge and heading out to get a bite to eat if you have time between the arrival of the Empire Builder and the departure of the Lake Shore. The Lake Shore Limited does not serve dinner after leaving Chicago. Sleeping car passengers do get a reception on the train prior to leaving (you must be boarded from the lounge), but that far from a meal.

They have better, more comfortable seating than in the regular waiting room and they also have free coffee. You can also check carry on bags if you want to go eat or explore Chicago. On every occasion that my husband and I have been there, the 1st Class lounge has been PACKED with no seats available..... :blink:
Just wanted to compliment you on your excellent slideshow's. I have only completed a couple of them, but it is gorgeous, well done photography. Thanx

Last edited by a moderator:
Whatever you do, don't spend all six hours in the lounge! If nothing else, go upstairs, look at the Great Hall, then go out and look out over the river.

Just wanted to compliment you on your excellent slideshow's. I have only completed a couple of them, but it is gorgeous, well done photography. Thanx
Glad you're enjoying our slide shows! My husband and I enjoy photography and we enjoy sharing our travel experiences with others.... :cool:

Glad you're enjoying our slide shows! My husband and I enjoy photography and we enjoy sharing our travel experiences with others.... :cool:
Aloha

Since the two of you enjoy Photography, how about sharing your technique's in the Photography Forum with other rail photographers.

Mahalo

Am taking the Empire Builder to Chicago in a bedroom then change to the Lakeshore Ltd to NYC. Have never been to Chicago and never been in a 1st class lounge. Wondering what to expect and how different (if any) is it from the regular waiting room? Assuming everything is on time it looks like I have about a 6 hour layover.
My favorite perks:

1) The ability to check your carry on baggage and retrieve it (or have a Red Cap take it) when you board.

2) Boarding trains through the back door of the lounge.

And yes, it is close to the food court.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back