1st phase of Moynihan Station project to begin

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/05/09/newyork-pennstation-idUSL1E8G909A20120509

Only first phase and 2nd phase is still unfunded, but its still a start to give NYC a legitimate station and not that ghetto of a station under MSG.
Many think that the portion beyond providing additional access routes to platforms is a phenomenal waste of money and mostly a subsidy to New York real estate interests. But that of course is neither here, nor there. Phase I mostly falls in the category of additional access to platforms, through more "ghetto tunnels". :)

http://www.reuters.c...E8G909A20120509

Only first phase and 2nd phase is still unfunded, but its still a start to give NYC a legitimate station and not that ghetto of a station under MSG.
While it was a travisty to destroy Penn Station and build MSG above it, I do not consider what is a the current station a "ghetto". And the MSG and station better than the Boston Arena/Station combination.

Aloha

There was a post yesterday previewing the NYP-Moynihan Phase 1contract award here. Maybe the moderator could move your post to the thread. I was going to post some comments in that thread.

Moderator comment: posts moved to original topic.

Last edited by a moderator:
I wouldn't call it a "ghetto" its just kind of sad that the busiest train station in the country is totally underground and doesn't leave you with any lasting positive impressions. While Kansas City, MO has an amazing station that you won't soon forget. I think it will be great to have more places to wait and board trains while in NYP.

It's funny. When I saw this article yesterday, I was at Penn Station. When I actually read the article, I was standing at the corner of 8th Ave. and 33rd St, looking right at the entrance of the Farley Post Office building. So it gave me a good chance to really visualize the project. The Post Office actually looks like an old train station.

Typing from ClubAcela, Penn Station.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's funny. When I saw this article yesterday, I was at Penn Station. When I actually read the article, I was standing at the corner of 8th Ave. and 33rd St, looking right at the entrance of the Farley Post Office building. So it gave me a good chance to really visualize the project. The Post Office actually looks like an old train station.

Typing from ClubAcela, Penn Station.
It looks like an old train station because it was intended to match the architecture of the original Pennsylvania Station across the street. Even shared some of the same architects....

You can see some of the same features in the design of what remains of Chicago's original Union Station, no doubt due to the Pennsy's financial majority in its ownership.

Even though the Pennsy did not have nearly as many trains in and out of that facility as co-owners Burlington and Milwaukee Road did, the tell-tale position light signals tell who 'the boss' was...... :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back