2 CCCs on Texas Eagle

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I rode 22 Last Saturday WITH a SSL.21 Wednesday/Thursday without. That day's northbound TE had one when I saw it in FTW.

Why is the diner on the TE still called CCC? I've been on the the CONO, and it operates very differently.
There are two different things, the type of car and how the car is used.

Diner-lite is the type of car.

CCC is the way a car is used.

A Cross Country Cafe (CCC) was designed to be the dining car and the lounge car (no sightseer) and serve an all day menu. The CCC is only operated in one type of car, a diner-lite.

Due to having too many diner-lite cars and deciding not to use the CCC concept on more that the CONO, Amtrak was forced to put diner-lite cars on the TE and the CL and use them like regular dining cars and still have a sightseer lounge.

Technically, the TE does not have a CCC, it has a diner-lite car. However, people still refer to the car as a CCC, even though technically, that would be incorrect.

Of course, this is all my interpretation of how it is, I could be wrong.

Actually, Diner-Lite is what the eastern car is called, but I guess the CCC would also count.

cpamtfan-Peter

I'm well aware that Congress mandated savings in food service on Amtrak BUT I would love to have the difference in the kazillions Amtrak has spent on different food service arrangements, plus the car "re-creation" costs. I'd bet they'd be at least a 10 to one ratio in costs to savings :lol: :lol:

I rode 22 Last Saturday WITH a SSL.21 Wednesday/Thursday without. That day's northbound TE had one when I saw it in FTW.

Why is the diner on the TE still called CCC? I've been on the the CONO, and it operates very differently.

A Cross Country Cafe (CCC) was designed to be the dining car and the lounge car (no sightseer) and serve an all day menu. The CCC is only operated in one type of car, a diner-lite.

Due to having too many diner-lite cars and deciding not to use the CCC concept on more that the CONO, Amtrak was forced to put diner-lite cars on the TE and the CL and use them like regular dining cars and still have a sightseer lounge.

Technically, the TE does not have a CCC, it has a diner-lite car. However, people still refer to the car as a CCC, even though technically, that would be incorrect.

Yes, you are incorrect. The Diner Lite is a single level car that has both dining meal service and lounge service in one car. The Cross Country Cafe is a Diner Lounge that is a Superliner car and incorporates both dining service, lounge service and in some cases an All-Day menu. It is currently used on the Capitol Limited and Texas Eagle with a Sightseer Lounge, on the City of New Orleans without a Sightseer Lounge and in some cases it is used on the Coast Starlight as a protection car for the Pacific Parlour Car.

Amtrak describes the Cross Country Cafe as a "Diner Lounge" Superliner food service car.

At least according to the relatively new Cross Country Cafe Virtual Tour.

Although I don't think it matters too much, I think this specific car configuration is named "Cross Country Cafe," much like how the lounges are called "Sightseers" or "Pacific Parlour Cars." The name and intended use for the CCC could change -- just like they have over the years for the lounge/observation cars.

The CCC is probably best known for its use as a diner-lounge on the City of New Orleans, but the car operates under the CCC name elsewhere in the Amtrak system. On its Texas Eagle schedule, Amtrak specifically refers to the dining car as "Cross Country Cafe."

Does anyone know if tomorrow's 21 will have the SSL? (7/27/09) :unsure:

i know for a fact its called the CCC as when i rode the TE 421 from CHI to LAX the menu said cross country cafe and the conductor said over the PA that this is a historical moment. today's it the debut of the CCC. this was may of last year.

When I took the CONO from New Orleans to Chicago on July 8, we had a rare consist for the present times. The consist was as follows: P42, Trans-Dorm, Sleeper, CCC, Sightseer Lounge, Coach-Baggage, Coach, Coach. I asked the conductor why the CONO had the SSL in the consist and he said that it was one of the normal consists from the TE. Why the crews in Chicago sent a TE consist to New Orleans on the CONO, I have no idea.

When the CONO went Superliner it was customary for the Eagle and the City to exchange equipment. In cases of late trains they have been known to substitute each trains equipment in order to keep the OTP figures where Amtrak would like to have them.

Is it possible these double CCC substitutions on the Eagle are because of the Cascades out west needing the SSL's and a SSL shortage in Chicago?

Yes, you are incorrect. The Diner Lite is a single level car that has both dining meal service and lounge service in one car. The Cross Country Cafe is a Diner Lounge that is a Superliner car and incorporates both dining service, lounge service and in some cases an All-Day menu. It is currently used on the Capitol Limited and Texas Eagle with a Sightseer Lounge, on the City of New Orleans without a Sightseer Lounge and in some cases it is used on the Coast Starlight as a protection car for the Pacific Parlour Car.
While I am open to being wrong, I still contend that a CCC is the name of the service. The reason it is called a CCC on the TE is because they PLANNED to use it without a sighteer lounge, but changed their mind after everything was printed. If you look at the TE schedule, it does not list a SSL.

However, if you look at the CL schedule (which also uses a diner-lounge car) it lists a SSL and dining. It does not say CCC anywhere in association with the CL.

So it is my contention that the CCC is a service and not a car. HOWEVER, may people use the two (CCC & diner-lounge) interchangeably. So it really does not matter other than having a nice discussion about it. :)

Is it possible these double CCC substitutions on the Eagle are because of the Cascades out west needing the SSL's and a SSL shortage in Chicago?
I'm not aware of any extra Lounges being stationed in the Northwest for the Cascades service. But as GML stated earlier, its simply because another lounge went bad that was suppose to go onto one of the western trains and had to be swapped. And obviously compared to the Eagle, the SWC, CZ, and EB are much more scenic and much more needed on those trains, so the Eagle loses out.

While I am open to being wrong, I still contend that a CCC is the name of the service. The reason it is called a CCC on the TE is because they PLANNED to use it without a sighteer lounge, but changed their mind after everything was printed. If you look at the TE schedule, it does not list a SSL.

However, if you look at the CL schedule (which also uses a diner-lounge car) it lists a SSL and dining. It does not say CCC anywhere in association with the CL.

So it is my contention that the CCC is a service and not a car. HOWEVER, may people use the two (CCC & diner-lounge) interchangeably. So it really does not matter other than having a nice discussion about it. :)
It makes a big difference however when the train is full and there are only a few tables for pax to hang out in.

On the CONOL last week we couldnt get into the CCC at all except to eat until we were passed Jackson!(not that

there was that much to see but the roomette can get confineing after two weeks! :lol: Different story on the

TE,when there are two Dinber/Lounges do the pax get to use one as a ssl?I havent seen this one yet but have noticed

lots of TEs in Austin without SSLs and of course the diner crew gets off in Austin to spend the night!

When I took the CONO from New Orleans to Chicago on July 8, we had a rare consist for the present times. The consist was as follows: P42, Trans-Dorm, Sleeper, CCC, Sightseer Lounge, Coach-Baggage, Coach, Coach. I asked the conductor why the CONO had the SSL in the consist and he said that it was one of the normal consists from the TE. Why the crews in Chicago sent a TE consist to New Orleans on the CONO, I have no idea.
Is the CN still holding the "Chicken Bone Express" to a 30 axle minimum? If so, might that be where the TE's beloved Sightseers are disappearing to?

Is the CN still holding the "Chicken Bone Express" to a 30 axle minimum? If so, might that be where the TE's beloved Sightseers are disappearing to?
As has been mentioned dont believe so, the CONOL OBS said last week that the TE had gotten their ssl,

the TE has been running mostly without one?Id say that the Western trains are getting them since they are so full(SWC/

EB/CZ/CS)!Beech Grove needs to crank em out faster! ;)

Yes, the CN is still holding all Amtrak trains on the old IC mainline (CONO, Illini, Saluki) to the 30 axle minimum, which means that each train on the route must now have at least seven cars.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back