2 Questions from a new Amtrak rider

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

da40flyer

Train Attendant
Does anyone know if on the Coast Starlight if there are power plugs available at seats for phone chargers, laptops, etc.? I've heard yes there are but some say there are few.

Also, since this is a 30 hour trip, is there anything on board for the kids to do? Am hauling kids with me.

Does anyone know if on the Coast Starlight if there are power plugs available at seats for phone chargers, laptops, etc.? I've heard yes there are but some say there are few.
Also, since this is a 30 hour trip, is there anything on board for the kids to do? Am hauling kids with me.
To your first question: not likely--if you're in coach. Very few of the Superliner coaches have been renovated (the ones that have do include plugs at each seat pair), and it's not likely you'll get renovated coaches. (Things may be different after the relaunch coming up in May, I believe.) Sleepers, however, do include power plugs.

However, there are two power plugs in every Superliner car, originally intended for the cleaning staff to use to plug vacuums in. I don't know the actual seat numbers--they've been posted elsewhere on this site (try doing a search for "superliner power plugs" or something). If possible, try to claim those seats when boarding...and if you bring along a power strip, you'll be everyone's best friend.

I did the Starlight when I was eight or nine (early '90s), and I don't remember ever being bored, although I've always loved trains and it thrilled me to just stare out the windows of the lounge for hours on end. In those days, they did play movies in the lounge in the evening, but due to high public performance fees from the movie studios, Amtrak had to stop doing that several years ago. I also seem to recall a children's play room in the lower level of one of the coaches, but I would bet that staffing cuts left that door locked several years ago, too.

However, I'm fairly sure there will still be a Trails 'n' Rails presenter in the lounge for the better part of the trip through Oregon (especially the Willamette valley), which I found interesting (I had been a fan of the Oregon Trail computer game, so hearing about those early settlers was fascinating).

Other than that, there won't likely be any official entertainment, so do plan on bringing some of your own. Since power may not be available, cards, board games, and other non-electronic forms of entertainment might be a good choice.

I also seem to recall a children's play room in the lower level of one of the coaches, but I would bet that staffing cuts left that door locked several years ago, too.
Although the time table makes no mention of them, AFAIK the kiddie cars are still in service. I'm not sure what games, if any, might be left in the room. But the cars are still listed on the active roster as being in service.

Aloha

All three trips north on the CS the outlets were seat 19 and 55 only one in lounge that I have seen. and a power strip with a flat plug is helpful. (wire out the side of plug)

DO NOT count on there being a kiddie car! At least 3 of them have already been replaced with "arcade room" cars (coin-op video games), though of course, they're sitting in the 7th St. yard right now....

There was no kiddie car running on the Coast Starlight any of the two or three times we rode it in 2007; it may be that there is still one or more available to the consist and we just got unlucky with a consist without it. When we got to play in it the year before that, it was just a lower level half-car (same area as a lower level coach seating area) with hard benches along the walls, some fairly sad toys, and a non-working tv/dvd system. It was a good place for kids to be able to be, though, and be able to run into other kids to play with, and we have missed it. I would totally bring toys to donate to it if it was reliably running on the CS!

Then again, it appears to me that the lowest bucket for the Family Bedroom has been raised to be out of reach for us to book it any time soon, so it may be many years before I ride the Coast Starlight again. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back