2011 SWC Room Pricing

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
UPDATE

Room prices for the SWC in 2011 have now been adjusted back to low bucket pricing. They are now releasing the dates at low bucket as well.

UPDATE

Room prices for the SWC in 2011 have now been adjusted back to low bucket pricing. They are now releasing the dates at low bucket as well.
Update Again

Things have changed again and they are now releasing dates at higher rates than I have ever seen.

Los Angeles to Chicago

Roomette: $730

Bedroom: $1393

The high prices start May 1st, 2011. Lets hope they come down.

I guess if I have to pay for Amtrak tickets I shall continue to buy 11 months out, paying what I have to, then I will watch prices like a hawk and buy for less, returning the high price tickets.

I booked our trip for the April 2011 the day they became available and the segment Chi-San Francisco on the CZ for a bedroom cost me $1195.00.I was told to book as soon as the price was available as thats when I would get the best price.I thought at the time this was a high price to pay for booking 11 months in advance but Hubby said it is a special trip just pay it.Better than sitting up all night for two nights especially at our age.For the Empire coming back it is one third the price for a bedroom.Would these be considered low bucket prices??????

I booked our trip for the April 2011 the day they became available and the segment Chi-San Francisco on the CZ for a bedroom cost me $1195.00.I was told to book as soon as the price was available as thats when I would get the best price.I thought at the time this was a high price to pay for booking 11 months in advance but Hubby said it is a special trip just pay it.Better than sitting up all night for two nights especially at our age.For the Empire coming back it is one third the price for a bedroom.Would these be considered low bucket prices??????
The last Amtrak Table I have shows the CHI - SFO being $554 - $1377 for just the bedroom - that doesn't include the coach fare which runs $145 - $284 per person. Of course with a room purchase the coach drops back to low bucket. So - for two people the low bucket for a bedroom would be $874.

I can't tell if you are saying the $1195 you paid is with or without the coach included. If it included the coach part, then you are probably at bucket three or four.

Keep checking, if your dates are flexible there is a good chance the prices will come down, maybe not to low bucket but a buck is a buck as we say here! DO NOT cancel our first reservation until you have the new,lower priced one booked, this will prevent you not having a room @ any price if someone else books your old room while you are dealing with an agent!Good luck! ;)

MrFSS

the $1195.00 was the price for the bedroom only.One way trip Phl-Chi Cardinal 2senios $334.90 1 viewliner roomette $179.00. Chi.-SFW 1 bedroom $1195.00 2reserved thruway seats inc. Total amt.$1708.90.

MrFSS

the $1195.00 was the price for the bedroom only.One way trip Phl-Chi Cardinal 2senios $334.90 1 viewliner roomette $179.00. Chi.-SFW 1 bedroom $1195.00 2reserved thruway seats inc. Total amt.$1708.90.
Then you have a very high bucket price. A has been mentioned, keep checking back as the price may fall the closer you get to travel time. We are seeing this more and more where the prices start out hight, come down later and then go back up as demand increases.

BUT - don't change your reservation until you know you have a better price in hand. You could loose it all together, or end up paying even more. I just had that happen to some friends on the EB. If you see a lower price, call and discuss it with an agent, quickly, and emphasize to not cancel one until the new one is made at the lower price.

I checked out (just playing around) Feb 7th & found it to be around $860, I believe total for 2 in bedroom. I also checked 2 roomettes for 1 person in each & it was a little less. ( I checked roomettes thinking if you are seniors, you both could have lower bunks plus views of both sides of train, if you got them across from one another). But you would have to use the shower down stairs (but you could also book the downstair roomettes!)

RF

Just realized my biggest problem with this issue of releasing dates at high prices on the SWC. I am planning a trip that will connect to another train. All the other trains ARE NOT releasing at the high bucket. That means if I wait a month or two for the SWC price to drop, the other trains price has a lot better chance of going up.

I guess Amtrak does not want me to take a trip next year.

AMTRAK is losing over $ 1BILLION per year. You have to imagine Boardman doing something to close that gap.
Releasing dates at highest bucket 11 months out, then lowering it a month or two later (9 or 10 months out) does not seem to me to be the way to do that. Lets punish (drive away) those who are willing to give their money to Amtrak 11 months before using it.

Well, it has changed again. They have dropped all the dates to low bucket and again are releasing dates at low bucket. If they will just keep doing that for a few more weeks so I can get out tickets.

Looking at next summer's travel, I find that sleeper prices on the Empire Builder bounce up from the lowest bucket ($220 CHI-SEA) to the next bucket (or higher) starting the week before Memorial Day. I suppose that this could be travel agencies grabbing blocks of rooms, or Amtrak trying to maximize revenue...

Looking at next summer's travel, I find that sleeper prices on the Empire Builder bounce up from the lowest bucket ($220 CHI-SEA) to the next bucket (or higher) starting the week before Memorial Day. I suppose that this could be travel agencies grabbing blocks of rooms, or Amtrak trying to maximize revenue...

I would guess that it is indeed Amtrak trying to maximize their revenue, just like the airlines and hotels do. I am sure Amtrak doesn't put out inventory any cheaper than they think is needed to sell it. The time period you mention is the beginning of the busy summer travel season.

I would guess that it is indeed Amtrak trying to maximize their revenue, just like the airlines and hotels do. I am sure Amtrak doesn't put out inventory any cheaper than they think is needed to sell it. The time period you mention is the beginning of the busy summer travel season.
I certainly hope that this is the underlying reason, since Amtrak deserves the revenue. I booked my travel at the higher price and will check to see if I can rebook at a lower price later, the same way I went from $75 to $59 a ticket on a MSP-MDW Southwest flight next month. Let's here it for no change fees!

I bought my tickets this morning for next years trip (first day they were open) and the Coast Starlight was low bucket. The Southwest Chief was not, doggonit. I will keep checking to see if the prices go down and rebook.

I, of course, had to call to get my room assignments. They told me 17 & 18 on the CS which would be in the transdorm. That does not make any sense since I got low bucket. He rebooked us into 5 & 6 in the 1430 car.

Now, to wait for the return trip date to open up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back