#21/#1 Question. I know this has been asked before

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Michael061282

Lead Service Attendant
I know this is a multiple repeat question, but I'm on my phone and I can't do a search. Please forgive me. I booked a trip for next week on #21/#1. A bedroom on #421 was $850, I got separate rooms on #21 & #1 combines for $250 less (Thank You Amsnag!) My question is, when do they board #1 in San Antonio? Is it just before the 2:45am departure or is it soon after the 12:05 arrival? (assuming everything is close to on time of course). Again, apologies for the repeated ad nauseum question, if I could go back and search, I would. I'm a night owl so it really doesn't matter all THAT much, but I would like to know ahead of time.

When #21 Arrives into SAS around 9:30PM you will have to get off the Train! When #1 Arrives around Midnight, the #421 Cutout Coach and Sleeper will be Switched to the Back of #1, then #1 will be Pulkled up on Track #1 by the Station! Normally you have to wait to Board in the Station or on the Platform until the Boarding Call for #1 is made (around 2:15AM) but if you talk with the New Conductor (they change Crews in SAS)and the SCA on your Sleeping Car on #1 (Front of the Train) you MAY be able to Board, Ive seen it happen both ways but it is up to the Conductor and the SCA! Good Luck!

thanks! I've done the Sunset/Eagle once, in 2001 .. the bad old days, but we had the through sleeper on that train. I couldn't justify paying an extra $250 just for the right of staying in a room an extra 3 or so hours. Actually, the money I saved is more then my return flight from LAX to Richmond a few days later

Last edited by a moderator:
Try to book around SAS ... Like changing at SMC or DRT, or others - keep trying different option.. That would get you through SAS without changing rooms. Try to remain on #421 the entire way and you might be able to keep the same room. BUT .. if you do have to change, at least you will be onboard moving rather than sitting in a station all night.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back