2nd Motorcoach Amenities Poll (Please read OP before voting)

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Which amenities do you want the most on a motorcoach?

• Extra Recline (up to 50 degrees)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Extra Seat Padding

• Window Shades

• Enclosed Overhead Parcel Racks

• Overhead TV

• Personal (seatback) TV

• Lavatory with Sink & Running Water

• Extra Luggage Allowance/Capacity

• Bigger Windows

• Capped Air Vents

• Footrests

• Wi-Fi

• Power Outlets

• Indirect Lighting

• Mood Lighting (more useful at night)

• Thermopane Window

• Three-Point Seat Belts

• Total voters
Longest car trip: San Diego to New London, Conn. while in the Navy!
I would have to check but my longest trip is close. Manchester Conn. to Los Angeles Just for the heck of it, but I did not go back. Later went on to Hawaii.

Aloha
Did you at least use a motorboat to Hawaii? :p

Longest bus trip...New York to Fairbanks in 1970, with one overnight stop in Montana....

Longest Amtrak trip....a 30 day marathon on Amtrak in the late 70's on an unlimited USA Railpass....coast to coast to coast to coast, etc......

Longest plane trip....round-the-world, (JFK-NRT-HKG-LHR-JFK)....in four and a half days! :)

Longest space trip...TBD.... :p

Longest car trip: Ann Arbor to Fairbanks, while in college.

Longest Bus trip: Glenwood Springs to Ann Arbor, while in high school.

Longest continuous Train trip: San Diego to Baltimore, via Coast Starlite, Builder, Cap.

Chances of the Car or Bus trip happening now: Zero!!!

Chances of the Car trip happening now: It could happen.

Chances of the train trip ( if it was still possible!! Sigh) Vamanos!!

Satisfaction with Amtrak's Long Distance On Board Service, Food, and Amenities? Almost Zero!

AA to Fairbanks sounds like a heck of a fun drive.
I was indeed a "hoot", well before the AlCan was paved, all the way, as I hear it has been for some time.

I stopped in Jackson Hole, and we drove up to Glacier Park, (meet my roommates at the "Silver Dollar Bar" in JH, had to coordinate WEEKS in advance, remember kiddies, they "weren't no such thing as cell phones back in 1976!)

We backpacked thru Glacier for a week or so, (it rained almost every day, of course!) and then I said "Adios" and headed to Canada. Picked up a hitch-hiker along the way, just for company, and of course they found week on him at the boarder crossing, so that delayed my crossing about 30 minutes. (imagine today!) and OFF I DROVE.

Highlight of the trip, of course was after I dropped the car off in Fairbanks, I boarded the (then) State of Alaska's passenger train south to (then) Mt. McKinley National Park. Bopped around McKinley for a few days, and boarded the next train south, to Anchorage.

Hadn't been back 'til last summer, and I sure as heck didn't remember much of Anchorage at all, if any. Memory is the second thing to go.............

AA to Fairbanks sounds like a heck of a fun drive.
I was indeed a "hoot", well before the AlCan was paved, all the way, as I hear it has been for some time.

I stopped in Jackson Hole, and we drove up to Glacier Park, (meet my roommates at the "Silver Dollar Bar" in JH, had to coordinate WEEKS in advance, remember kiddies, they "weren't no such thing as cell phones back in 1976!)

We backpacked thru Glacier for a week or so, (it rained almost every day, of course!) and then I said "Adios" and headed to Canada. Picked up a hitch-hiker along the way, just for company, and of course they found week on him at the boarder crossing, so that delayed my crossing about 30 minutes. (imagine today!) and OFF I DROVE.

Highlight of the trip, of course was after I dropped the car off in Fairbanks, I boarded the (then) State of Alaska's passenger train south to (then) Mt. McKinley National Park. Bopped around McKinley for a few days, and boarded the next train south, to Anchorage.

Hadn't been back 'til last summer, and I sure as heck didn't remember much of Anchorage at all, if any. Memory is the second thing to go.............
When I rode the bus up the AlCan, it was gravel in the Yukon, and paved in Alaska, IIRC....the gravel was maintained easily by running a road grader over it periodically,, and consequently, it offered a superior ride than the frost-heave plagued paved section.....

I also rode the AuRoRa train from Fairbanks down to Anchorage....I recall it having some hand-me-down former US Army hospital cars that were converted into lounges like the ones Amtrak ran for a few years from the same source. There were no dome cars at that time, nor private cruiseline cars in the train. The oil pipeline had not been built yet, and the tourism explosion was just a trickle....the movie 'Ice Palace' had put Alaska 'on the map' after statehood....

One thing I vaguely remember was the jukebox in the lounge car, which accompanied the university kids dancing on board... :cool:

Back