3(20) and 4(21) Divert due to freight derailment in San Bernardino

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jis

Permanent Way Inspector
Staff member
Administator
AU Supporting Member
Gathering Team Member
3(20) and 4(21) diverted via Burbank--Palmdale--Mojave--Boron to/from Barstow. Passengers to/from Fullerton, Riverside, San Bernardino and Victorville were bussed eastbound to Barstow and westbound from Barstow. This was to get around a hazmat derailment just past San Bernardino.

I wonder if they bothered to turn the train at Mojave for the run down to Barstow. There is no direct connection at Mojave to go from the northbound UPRR to the eastbound BNSF, but there's a wye in the UPRR yard to do so. I would imagine they just ran backwards between Mojave and Barstow.

3(20) and 4(21) diverted via Burbank--Palmdale--Mojave--Boron to/from Barstow. Passengers to/from Fullerton, Riverside, San Bernardino and Victorville were bussed eastbound to Barstow and westbound from Barstow. This was to get around a hazmat derailment just past San Bernardino.
Is that the same diversion used two years ago during the Blue Cut fires (sans buses), and if not, what was the diversion used two years ago?

I wonder if they bothered to turn the train at Mojave for the run down to Barstow. There is no direct connection at Mojave to go from the northbound UPRR to the eastbound BNSF, but there's a wye in the UPRR yard to do so. I would imagine they just ran backwards between Mojave and Barstow.
Some months ago (due to a fire in Cajon Pass I believe), the train was "wyed" in Mojave to make the easbound run to Barstow in its normal configuration. On the transitdocs map you could follow the train on the map as this happened.

Some months ago (due to a fire in Cajon Pass I believe), the train was "wyed" in Mojave to make the easbound run to Barstow in its normal configuration. On the transitdocs map you could follow the train on the map as this happened.
People followed 3 and 4 on their detour on the tracker last night and this morning too.

Looks like it was a one day event. 4(22) is running it's usual route through Fullerton and the 3(21) schedule shows the normal route stops.

As I recall, this was the same detour Amtrak ran during the Cajon Pass fire. That lasted a little longer.

Missed my chance to get the rare mileage from Mojave to Barstow....route of the San Francisco Chief...
default_sad.png

Back