3 Days of Food?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sis

Train Attendant
We will be traveling, 2 adults and 2 children, from D.C. to Seattle COACH! I just totaled the hours today and am a bit panicky. It's a 23 hour trip from D.C. to Chicago (but only 17 from Chicago to D.C.?). There's a 4 hour layover in Chicago and then about 46 more hours to Seattle! That's 73 HOURS! We will need to pack food for 73 hours!!! It sounds a bit daunting. Any tips or suggestions?

You probably should figure to eat a couple meals in the dining car, both for the experience and to cover at least a couple of meals. Breakfast is the most reasonable.

The train doesn't leave DC until 4:05, eat something before you board and just bring snacks that evening.

You also have a lot of time in Chicago to eat lunch. There are a lot of great food options really close to Union Station (me, I'm a fan of Al's Italian Beef, a block west of the station). An option I just thought of is to get a big pizza from Giordanos have some for lunch and take the rest on the train to eat cold and take care of lunch/dinner that day (I like cold pizza myself).

So just bring what you, and more importantly, your kids, like. Fruit, cheeses, snack crackers maybe some lunch meat. Your only real challenge will be the second day out of Chicago. You can order a cold fried chicken meal that they bring on at Havre, MT (afternoon that day) that is reputed to be pretty good. The cafe menu isn't great, but it isn't that bad (pricey for what it is). Here is a link to the cafe menu: https://www.amtrak.com/ccurl/198/849/National-Cafe-Menu-0515.pdf. Remember, Amtrak cannot heat your own food for you, only what they sell you. FDA health regs.

Last edited by a moderator:
There are two trains that go from CHI to WAS. The Capitol Limited (29 west. 30 east) is the quicker one and the Cardinal (50 east, 51 west) is the slower one. By the times you listed, it looks like you are booked on the Cardinal to Chicago and the Capitol Limited from Chicago. If you want to get to Chicago faster and leave later, you should try to change that leg to the Capitol Limited. It leaves DC later and arrives in Chicago earlier giving you more time in Chicago for the connection.

I would recommend food/drinks that do not require refrigeration or heating. You can buy food on the trains as well as at Chicago Union Station if time permits (if the train is delayed you may not have as much time in Chicago).

From Union Station Chicago you can walk 3 blocks north to French Market, an indoor venue with all kinds of foods for sale. You could also get sandwiches prepared at the Corner Bakery in the Union Station food court. If your budget allows, there is time between trains, and you can afford a taxi, there is a Whole Foods Market about six blocks south of Union Station.

You probably should figure to eat a couple meals in the dining car, both for the experience and to cover at least a couple of meals. Breakfast is the most reasonable.

The train doesn't leave DC until 4:05, eat something before you board and just bring snacks that evening.
From the 23 hours the original poster said, they are probably booked on the Cardinal which leaves earlier.

Here's the Capitol Limited dining car menu and prices: https://www.amtrak.com/ccurl/160/906/Capitol-Limted-Dining-Car-Menu-1115.pdf

I believe the Empire Builder is probably the same but the Cardinal is slightly different.

You also have a lot of time in Chicago to eat lunch. There are a lot of great food options really close to Union Station (me, I'm a fan of Al's Italian Beef, a block west of the station). An option I just thought of is to get a big pizza from Giordanos have some for lunch and take the rest on the train to eat cold and take care of lunch/dinner that day (I like cold pizza myself).
I second the recommendation of Giordano's!

So just bring what you, and more importantly, your kids, like. Fruit, cheeses, snack crackers maybe some lunch meat.
I'd be worried about the meat and cheese after a day or two.

Yes, did not notice that about the times indicating the Card. I agree, if eating onboard is a concern, I too would recommend switching to the Capitol Limited. Later departure out of DC and longer layover in Chicago. Or just figure on eating on eating a bit more in the cafe or diner.

You can get sealed snack cheeses (lucky cow?) that keep. I think even individually packaged string cheese would make it. But cheese that is not individually packaged, probably not. I do think given the concerns, a soft sided cooler that you could keep stuff like lunch meat in would be a really good idea.

I like those little packets of tuna, with whole grain crackers. I also like dried fruit and nuts. Be sure and include something to "treat" everyone, like chocolate. Stock up on a couple of gallons of water at the Walgreen's that is practically across the corner from Chicago Union Station. If I had to bring food for a family, I'd get a wire cart like this to carry it all:

pACE3-10633398enh-z7.jpg

A lot depends on your own tastes... You can buy food on the train, either in the dinner car, or the cafe car. Both are expensive for what you get, but they are an option.

You could look on it all as a sort of "camping out" trip, and bring food aboard the train with you. Cookies, crackers, bread, fruit, nuts, tuna tins, museli, corned beef, etc, etc.

Jennifer has it sorted, with the water, food, treats, and something to carry it in.

Live like explorers out in the wilds, and enjoy the occasional hot dog and coffee from the cafe car too!

Ed. :cool:

Be sure and bring some fresh veggies to cut up for something different. Hubby and I like green peppers and carrots, because they will keep for two or three days without refrigeration, as long as they aren't pre-cut. It is perfectly OK to bring a little pocket knife with you, it's not like airline security, LOL. I bring one of the little pen knives with a single blade and a pair of mini-scissors. It's pretty small, but works fine for apples and green peppers (and the scissors come in handy for the hanging threads I always notice)..

The bathrooms are usually well-stocked with paper towels, so I just spread a couple out on the tray-table at my seat, and go about preparing my lunch. Have a couple extra paper towels for everybody's lap and fingers, and just wrap your trash and trimmings up when you are done. There are big trash containers in every car.

You can also take your own food into the Sightseer Lounge (which will be on the Superliner train you will have for the Empire Builder, but not on the Cardinal). They won't let you bring your own stuff in the downstairs cafe, but it's permitted upstairs. The views are fantastic, and the tables seat four easily. Just be considerate and don't occupy the table for more time than you need if the car is crowded.

12LOUNGECARONTHESOUTHWESTCHIEF-vi.jpg

Pack a suitcase of food like you would if you were going camping. :-( Eat before leaving DC and eat in Chicago. Try to take advantage of the dining car if you can. Try to take advantage of the cafe car but remember they often run out near the end of the trip. So, bring a suitcase of food. :-(

We will need to pack food for 73 hours!!!
Here's what I do... visit the cafe car for breakfast (hotdog and soda) and lunch (hotdog, chips, and noodle soup), then dining car for dinner (roast chicken and cheesecake). Works out fine every time.

P&SR, you have a hotdog and soda for BREAKFAST? Why not cold pizza as we did in college?

Bagels

Dry cereal. If you want milk on your cereal buy milk at the Café. I like Raisin Bran myself on the train and just eat it dry.

Pita bread

Canned tuna (in water)

I mix the tuna with individual serving mayo & sweet pickle relish packets I've been saving from fast food place visits.

(But, I've seen people use the packets out and available at the Café/lounge on the train too).

Trail mix - mixed nuts, raisins and M&Ms.

Crackers and peanut butter

Hard cheese lasts longer un-refrigerated than soft cheese. Also keep hard cheese in a sturdy ziplock bag.

I don't have any trouble eating 3 day old cheddar, colby, or swiss cheese on backpacking and train trips. Keep the cheese as cool as you can, like wrapped up in a kitchen towel.

Hard salami, particularly it is has the white mold outer cover also works for 3 days if kept in a sturdy ziplock bag.

I pack a cup electric heater to make hot water for tea, hot chocolate, coffee, etc.

Instant Immersion Heater Portable Beverage Warmer Coffee Water
Since there are 4 of you pack a couple cup heaters.

I use a 17 oz metal backpackers cup with a collapsible to heat the water in.

GSI Outdoors 75252 Backpacker Mug
Since there are 4 of you pack a couple cup heaters.

If you're really trying to keep costs down, bring a cooler and pack it as tightly as you can with ice and as cold food as you can. A good cooler with ice can easily keep stuff cold and safe for 12-18 hours. So perhaps do the first dinner that way.

Otherwise, definitely consider the dining car for at least one dinner (note, not cheap, but the experience is worth it in my mind). And perhaps the cafe car for others.

At an event where I was being VERY frugal on food I had a bag of sesame cold noodles I kept on ice and ate that for most of my meals for about 2 days. (even after the ice melted, it would keep for probably 1/2 a day, so I was set.)

Don't forget the charcoal for your grill. You are bringing a grill, aren't you? One of those big ones that uses charcoal or propane? They don't allow the propane and do keep the grill outside at least 10 feet from the door at all times.

:giggle: :giggle: :giggle:

Don't forget the charcoal for your grill. You are bringing a grill, aren't you? One of those big ones that uses charcoal or propane? They don't allow the propane and do keep the grill outside at least 10 feet from the door at all times.

:giggle: :giggle: :giggle:
Wouldn't it be easier to just pack a mini-fridge and electric stove? :) :)

Come to think of it, the above joke made me think of something. Aren't there some coolers (ice chests) on the market which can also function off AC? Would the power consumption be too high for the outlets in a sleeper? Of course, even if that would work, it'd be cheaper just to eat in the cafe lounge car than buy one.

Given the quality of food fare on the Cardinal on my last trip, I would bring my own food if I am going coach. If you have a cooler maybe see if you could put some dry ice in there for a few days extra to keep cool (not an expert on that, others more knowledgeable.) Do they charge for ice for coach pax? Heck, even if they do that might help keep a cooler cold enough and keep your budget low.. Depending on your budget there are some lunch coolers that have nice insulation that have long cold hold times. Personally, I bring a cooler for my vanilla Coke (I can't stand Pepsi-too sweet.) As for eats for the kids peanut butter sandwiches got me through school a lot times, cereal, trail mix. beef jerky, Heck get some MRE's. Or just hang out a fishing pole out the door over the rivers!

I hope your family has a chance to enjoy the beauties of our country as you travel!

Too true! I grew up eating 2 Ding Dongs and a Pepsi for breakfast nearly every morning of my jr hi and high school years. Cold pizza was a treat. LOL

So many great suggestions! I did not expect such an outpouring of responses! :)

One person suggested bringing your own bottled water. Some folks feel that it is necessary, and I won't complain if it's really that important to you. But the simple fact is that the water to which you have access is all potable. The tanks are refilled at service points, using the local municipal water supply. The tanks on the cars are inspected for sanitation periodically. The only problem is fitting a large container under the spigot.

It has been said that drinking the onboard water for over 25 years is responsible for my being crazy, but I assure you the water had nothing to do with it.

Enjoy your trip.

Tom

P.S. Many years ago, Christine Lavin had a song called "Cold Pizza For Breakfast". Recommended.

One person suggested bringing your own bottled water. Some folks feel that it is necessary, and I won't complain if it's really that important to you. But the simple fact is that the water to which you have access is all potable. The tanks are refilled at service points, using the local municipal water supply.
In the post-Flint era it is becoming increasingly clear that what passes for potable water may in fact be harmful and even poisonous.

Link #1: http://www.theguardian.com/environment/2016/jan/16/flints-water-crisis-what-went-wrong

Link #2: http://www.theguardian.com/environment/2016/jan/22/water-lead-content-tests-us-authorities-distorting-flint-crisis

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back