3G or 4G coverage SWC, PC, and Empire

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

FlyingBoat

Train Attendant
I am taking a long trip this fall from ABQ to MSP. What cellular data plan would be best for this trip so I could get on the internet?

Would T-Mobile do well?

Would PagePlus work OK across the Verizon network? (Verizon rep tried to tell me PagePlus only has some of Verizon's coverage area.)

I know Verizon is likely best, but that is an extra $30/month forever + $20/month for hotspot.

PagePlus is $30/month including voice but only 100MB data.

Tmobile looks to be the best for what I want at about $50 prepaid for unlimited though eventually throttled data.

I think I am leaning now toward just buying a cheap non-contract 3G Verizon phone and enable it for the month I am on the trip. All I really need data access for is when I am on a trip.

Thanks, don't you need to pay an activation fee to activate it each time?

I am thinking of getting a Palm Pixi Plus which can be hacked for free hotspot use, then I would only be paying the $30 monthly fee to swap out for my non data phone when going on a trip. If I set this up as a new service then I would be charged the activation fee. They said the same if I picked up a 3G hotspot card, that I would need to pay the $35 activation fee.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back