3rd Amtrak in 3 years: CHI - SFC, SFC-PDX-CBS

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dvdapex

Train Attendant
Family is taking our third Amtrak trip in three summers. First two were westbound on Empire Builder starting from CBS, ending in PDX (with a stop at Glacier on the way).

This year is going to be California Zephyr CHI - SFC then on the way home going Coast Starlight from SFC - PDX and then PDX - CBS.

We left MKE this morning to go to CHI. A quick wait at the Metropolitan lounge for lunch and we were off at 2 pm.

Currently leaving Galeville, IL where a loss of power (while trying to fix a radiator) meant an hour or so delay and dessert before dinner (they couldn't cook anything w/o power).

So far the staff is super. Our sca is Scatman Crothers incarnate; Rebecca, the dining car manager is straightforward but efficient, the waitstaff has been full of smiles.

Steaks 3/4 with my wife having the mahi-mahi. Nothing like having steaks on a train.

It's only 7, but getting up early + meclazine means an early night.

14588076097_38da83a160_s.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
6 hours late arriving in Denver. The new Union Station allows for a close-up view of Coors Field as the train backs into the station.

14771317731_9755fd7c30_s.jpg

Every crew member has been great. Roland is our sca. From what I've been told, he's done this so long they built the train up around him.

14794374423_93af58fa62_s.jpg

14751600216_1910e615bf_s.jpg

14587925439_bb0d9d466f_s.jpg

14587974859_7ea5a3242c_s.jpg

Sounds like a great trip so far - except for that pesky 6 hour delay... but for me that would just mean more time on a train!

Woke up in Salt Lake City this morning. Based on the time and comments from sca, we lost another hour. So we'll probably get to SFC after midnight. I don't mind delays and more time on the train, but I prefer not to gather everone and detrain in the middle if the night (and then still be able to function the next morning).

14794541613_459c91b1e6_s.jpg

14588003689_d79519f912_s.jpg

14588170897_124f696639_s.jpg

Few hours from SFC. Since the train is supposed to terminate before dinner they had to break out the emergency beef stew and rice. Rachel, Judy and the woman with a contagious smile and an 18 yo son (but who didn't wear her nametag) were all cheery even though it's a long trip for them too.

Still have another 4.5 hrs to Emeryville, but we're getting there.

7 hrs late, but we're in San Francisco now. The Amtrak bus driver was taking people to the hotels if he was taken care of ;)

Learned an important lesson today: the day after being mostly idle on a train for 55+ hours is not the time to walk 12+ miles. By mid-day even the normally active kids were complaining of ailments like they were nursing home residents.

14595086530_8b57481b7c_s.jpg

14758868556_8dbab21763_s.jpg

We walked down the Embarcadero to the Exploritorium where we spent 4+ hours. Tuesdays might not be the best day of the week to visit. They're closed on Mondays, we arrived shortly after opening and there was a line down the hall and out the door. Oh and having a city pass was no use skipping the line as you still have to go through as if you were buying tickets.

On the way back, we stopped at Aquarium by the Bay. I heard a lot of negatives and it's not the biggest aquarium by any stretch, but it was a nice hour or so.

14759427706_1065919013_s.jpg

14759453706_c41a90481b_s.jpg

14782036722_21af14b383_s.jpg

More walking and stopping to watch/listen to buskers.

Dinner at In-N-Out (we'd never been).

After 6pm, the homeless appear rummaging through garbage and eating disposed-of food. I could do without that view to end my day.

Early to bed tonight because we're headed to Alcatraz first thing tomorrow.

Yesterday was spent at Alcatraz. We walked the Embarcadero in the cool fog for the 9:10 departure. We stayed until 1:30. The kids enjoyed the movie, audio tour and the two guided tours. It was definitely a tour we'll never forget. Finished the day sitting next to the campfire at Ghirardelli Square sharing a sundae and walking around that area.

14603723957_0135330155_s.jpg

14767308686_9450b8c132_s.jpg

14790326685_b197427865_s.jpg

14603610650_e607287efd_s.jpg

14603268438_da9e3d765b_s.jpg

Today, we had breakfast at Boudin's Bakery, rode the trolley to Union Square (the kids both got to "hang on" to the side), walked through Chinatown (kids were a little creeped out by the alligator paws on ice at a fish shop) to Washington Square, up Filbert to Coit Tower, down 400+ steps through Telegraph Hill back to Boudin's for the sourdough tour, to Fishermans Warf where the kids danced with a busker, In-N-Out for a snack, then out again for a ride around the city on a Duck seeing many great sites including seeing Bay Bridge from the east and AT&T Park. Time to plan for what we're going to do tomorrow.

Thanks for the comments. When we return home and I can use the non-mobile site, I'll post photos.

Yesterday we ate at the Hollywood Cafe for breakfast. HUGE portions and decent prices (for the area).

14619931139_ea209b0e91_s.jpg

14804214684_357db46986_s.jpg

The plan for the day was to visit the California Academy of Sciences. The concierge at the Courtyard suggested we take the F line all the way to Market and Haight. Met some helpful locals who pointed to the hidden bus stop. Waited there with some German tourists while multiple #6 busses came and went while we waited for #71. Once it finally arrived about half the city was on it. We were packed so tightly that I think I am now married to the little Chinese woman that was smashed up against me the whole time.

The Academy of Sciences was really neat. It was a PITA to get there, but worth it. Watching the butterflies and birds fluttering and zooming by in the Rainforest was cool. And the entire family was impressed by the living roof, aquarium, planetarium (you need to get passes, but they're free but 1st come...), penguin feedings.

14620528438_17c7bef871_s.jpg

14620476060_4390ff1387_s.jpg

14807220415_f750114680_s.jpg

After the CAoS we walked along the park to catch a bus to the Golden Gate Bridge Plaza. Too much of this path was too close to cars rocketing by. As usual my wife (who has NO sense of direction) questioned my direction. It turned out (as it usually does) that we were headed in the right direction. But I probably should have looked for a different way.

We walked across the GGB and back (at least I think that's what we did but it was too foggy to be certain).

A other bus home, which gave my wife several opportunities to question my bus and stop selections. It bugs me at the time, but sets me up for my smug "I-told-you-so" face at the end.

Dinner at Knuckleheads at 9. A little unhappy that their menus online were old and the fish-n-chips were $16 instead of $11. Also not happy to pay the "SF healthy tax". But the food was fine and the service was there (mostly).

Late start today (we're all dragging after walking about 12 miles per day the last 4 days. Plus we're switching hotels, so that's the excuse I'm going with.

What's SF's "Healthy Tax?"

It sounds like SF's politicians went to the same Seminars on how to gouge the tourists as Austin's fearless leaders!*

*Austin specializes in fees and hidden charges that are actually taxes by another name!

Yesterday started late. We all slept in a bit and switched hotels so we didn't get started until after 11:30. Still, we managed to walk over 9 miles (much uphill).

We started by having luch at Boudin's. 1/2 grilled cheese on sourdough and chili in breadbowls took care of us since we'd skipped breakfast.

We were then going to take a cable car to the cable car museum, but since it was a weekend, the wait was too long. We'd already ridden one so we decided to walk. My son must still have been tired from the previous day since he suggested we wait (the previous night after waiting just 5 minutes for a bus, he wanted to take a taxi). We walked up into the sky where the cable car museum is.

After that we went to Chinatown and found the Golden Gate Fortune Cookie Factory. It's a neat little place. We were going to stay in Chinatown for lunch but after walking around and finding a spot, the wait was going to be 45 minutes. Since we weren't that hungry and we didn't want to slow down, we kept walking.

Up Filbert we walked. Then down Lombard along the crooked path. Then right nack up Lombard (the views aren't nearly as good at the top of the street as they are from the bottom). My son and I wanted to see what was on the other side of Hyde (?) at this point. The wife and daughter were too tired to be curious so they waited. My son and I discovered a park with basketball and tennis courts. There was a bikini top basketball game going on and I nearly had to leave my son behind as he didn't hear me repeatedly telling him it was time to go back to rejoin his mom amd sister. I'm sure he wouldn't have minded if I had left him...

We made our way the Ghirardelli Square for a sundae while my wife and daughter had cupcakes instead. There was a clarinet player which we listened to for quite a while before calling it a night.

Wow. What a day. After getting an Irish coffee at Buena Vista Cafe, we started walking, found ourselves on the Bay Trail and didn't stop walking until we were in Sausalito. We walked past Fort Mason, Crissy Field, Fort Point, the marina district, over the Golden Gate Bridge down the Coast Trail to downtown Sausalito where we took the ferry back to Fisherman's Warf for dinner at The Crab House. My wife loved her whole dungeoness crab. Finished the night at Ghirardelli Square (again). 18.5 miles walked today and we are all feeling it!

It sounds like SF's politicians went to the same Seminars on how to gouge the tourists as Austin's fearless leaders!*

*Austin specializes in fees and hidden charges that are actually taxes by another name!
It's a mandatory tax in SF restaurants. Goes to help pay health insurance for restaurant workers.

Last day in San Francisco. We didn't manage to leave the hotel until noon when we went to "breakfast" at Hollywood Cafe.

We then visited the Musée Mécanique at Fisherman's Warf. It's an playabe arcade museum. It rekindled my obsession with arcade machines.

We then watched sea lions that have just come back.

Some shopping and listening to music at Ghirardelli Square (no dessert this time).

At the Amtrak station next to the Ferry Building and just found out that the Coast Starlight is already running 4 hrs late which means we won't get on until 2 am or later. Geebus these trips can be frustrating!

It's a mandatory tax in SF restaurants. Goes to help pay health insurance for restaurant workers.
This was the only restaurant that called out this charge on the receipt.

This was the only restaurant that called out this charge on the receipt.
Not consistently applied or followed by the restaurants:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/01/28/healthy-sf_n_2567446.html

http://insidescoopsf.sfgate.com/blog/2013/01/25/the-city-cracks-down-on-restaurant-surcharge-fraud-with-amnesty-program-sends-letters-to-offenders/

Currently on the Coast Starlight. Had to sit in Emeryville station 4.5 hrs until 2:30 AM to board.

I don't know who the agent was at the Amtrak Station next to the Ferry Building (he had a jacket on over his ID lanyard) but he was a complete prick. Only 3 people said anything to him the hour we were there and he rolled his eyes, mocked their questions, made fake announcements so that others in the station could hear him mock the questioner. For example, when the bus was running a few minutes late and he was asked if he'd announce when the bus arrived he rolled his eyes, made a loud, slow sigh and said "what do you think? yessss."

Please let Customer Relations know about that jerk @ the Ferry Terminal Station when you get home! These are the kind of staff Amtrak needs to re-train or de-train!

Hope y'all don't have to walk too far to/ from the PPC, those swivel seats are habit forming!

Definitely report that guy. That is unacceptable.

Your trip sounds like a lot of fun! I can't wait to see pictures.

Arrived at Union Station in Portland. Quick taxi ride to Shilo Inn Rose Garden to find out the don't have our room. :|

Bunch of excuses from front desk person until I put and end to that approach and get a room which will work for us to get some sleep tonight.

I grew up in service industries and work in IT Service Management today. I get that many of times the person responsible for delivering the message is not the one who caused the issue, but giving excuses instead of working towards an acceptable solution will boil my blood about as quick as anything.

Back