4 private cars on #19 from mei to nol

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Crescent ATN & TCL

OBS Chief
Today's Crescent picked up four cars at Meridian, MS and took them to NOL. One was Cimmaron River, one was a full length dome, another was a grey car, last was an observation car with a metal platform.

Adding the cars added about 45mins of delay to the train arriving in New Orleans. Also the lead engine ran out of fuel at Picayune,MS and the train which consisted of 13 cars and 2 P-42s continued to NOL with only one unit under power.

Where are the fueling spots? That shouldn't happen at all. Someone didn't do their job!
Steve
As far as I know they top off at Charlotte. Half the restrooms were also out of order because somebody forgot to empty the septic tanks either before the train left Sunnyside or at some point along the line at a service stop.

When the conductor receive fuel readings while the train crossed lake Ponchartrain the engineer reported that the lead locomotive which was #195 was out of fuel and inoperable, the second locomotive still had 800 gal.

Where are the fueling spots? That shouldn't happen at all. Someone didn't do their job!
Steve
As far as I know they top off at Charlotte. Half the restrooms were also out of order because somebody forgot to empty the septic tanks either before the train left Sunnyside or at some point along the line at a service stop.

When the conductor receive fuel readings while the train crossed lake Ponchartrain the engineer reported that the lead locomotive which was #195 was out of fuel and inoperable, the second locomotive still had 800 gal.
Aren't the tanks emptied and water added at ATL? That's a scheduled 25 minute stop that is often longer SB due to padding. :huh:

Steve

Aren't the tanks emptied and water added at ATL? That's a scheduled 25 minute stop that is often longer SB due to padding. :huh:
Water is generally added throughout a trains journey, but rarely are the tanks dumped while enroute.

Steve

Water is added in ATL, but there are no facilities to dump the tanks. That is done prior to departure - or at least should be.

Glad to see PV riding the rails again~ especially on the Crescent. I'm reading that the housekeeping is falling down on the TE and the City; now the Crescent. Just WHERE is management ??? And before we get into an anti-union bash the workers can't perform unless they're told to and supervised by a manger. If any manager at Amtrak has stress it's probably because they're feeling guilty about the trains that they DON'T ride. :cool:

I could have sworn that they fueled up in Atlanta. I however can't find a fueling dispenser along the ATL platform which leaves a fuel truck, but I can't find a space where it'd fit when a train is in station :p

I believe that the only time they fuel in Atlanta is when they have to terminate the train there because of issues that prevent it running through to New Orleans.

Seems like either the lead motor wasn't fueled at CLT or they just ran the lead motor really hard for part of the trip and then brought the trailer on-line a bit later...

Seems like either the lead motor wasn't fueled at CLT or they just ran the lead motor really hard for part of the trip and then brought the trailer on-line a bit later...
NS supposedly requires both units to be running from ATL-Tuscaloosa because of the hills. I guess they think a hugely over powered Amtrak train might stall while one of their under powered freights won't.......

I could have sworn that they fueled up in Atlanta. I however can't find a fueling dispenser along the ATL platform which leaves a fuel truck, but I can't find a space where it'd fit when a train is in station :p
No, no fuel in ATL, only water - however as noted above, there is fueling when the train is terminated in ATL.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back