40th Anniversary Train Schedule

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Acela150

Super Buff
Is there any word about the next round of the Anniversary trains Schedule? I would have to imagine it will be released by the end of the month. Any ideas on where it will be headed for the next batch?

The scrollbar on the bottom has dates until the end of October. Here's how it goes:

Code:
Scranton, PA: Sep 3-4
Galesburg, IL:Sep 24-25
Chicago, IL:Oct 1-2
Jackson, MI:Oct 8-9
Milwaukee, WI:Oct 15-16
Seattle, WA:Oct 22-23
Portland, OR:Oct 29-30
Figured I'd ask here: anything planned for Albany? The weekend of the scheduled exhibit there was also Hurricane Irene weekend.

Last edited by a moderator:
The scrollbar on the bottom has dates until the end of October. Here's how it goes:

Code:
Figured I'd ask here: anything planned for Albany? The weekend of the scheduled exhibit there was also Hurricane Irene weekend.
Still nothing for the South, i.e., Atlanta and beyond. :( :(

Code:
Still nothing for the South, i.e., Atlanta and beyond.
Looking good for the west (i.e. correct) coast, though!

NY Penn: The scroll bar you display omits St Louis on Sept 10 & 11. Is this scroll bar the latest info? Hope not... I am planning to attend the St Louis event. The 40th Anniversary web page has not deleted St Louis the last I checked.

NY Penn: The scroll bar you display omits St Louis on Sept 10 & 11. Is this scroll bar the latest info? Hope not... I am planning to attend the St Louis event. The 40th Anniversary web page has not deleted St Louis the last I checked.
Hasn't been deleted for me, either... Are you planning on Saturday or Sunday? (My current plan is Sunday because of how I thought out getting downtown, heh)

Yes, St. Louis is there. I just missed it. Sorry.
sad.gif

Code:
It was in ALB last weekend as planned. It was also in Steamtown as planned this weekend.

Anyone going to New Orleans this weekend (Jan 28-29) to see the 40th Anniversary train? I am traveling from Atlanta and will be there on Sunday....I'm always happy to meet other Amtrak fans! You can send me a private message, too.

Chris

Anyone going to New Orleans this weekend (Jan 28-29) to see the 40th Anniversary train? I am traveling from Atlanta and will be there on Sunday....I'm always happy to meet other Amtrak fans! You can send me a private message, too.

Chris
I'm planning on visiting the 40th Anniversary train on Sunday as well.

I ran over to Oklahoma City a couple of weekends ago to see it. That is as close as it will get to me. Spoke with a lady who works in Albuquerque. She said it will only be going to stations that have a minimum number of boardings (don't know that number) or places with state sponsored trains (like OKC).

I ran over to Oklahoma City a couple of weekends ago to see it. That is as close as it will get to me. Spoke with a lady who works in Albuquerque. She said it will only be going to stations that have a minimum number of boardings (don't know that number) or places with state sponsored trains (like OKC).

Amtrak stations? PA had two stops that were not even at Amtrak stations.

Any word when it will wrap up?

Perhaps she was talking about the remainder of the stops or those were simply an exception.

Those two stops were set up when great amount of tourists would be there. Strasburg was set up for the Thomas the Tank Engine event and Steamtown for Lackawana Railfest.

Stopped at New Orleans UPT today to check out the Exhibit Train. Had pretty much the same table exhibitors from National Train Day in the concourse along with a Large Lionel layout and a Chuggington area for the kids. My 3yr daughter made a beeline for the playset, heh.

The Sunset Limited was open for walk-throughs again. The Exhibit Train was very cool. Looks of great memorabilia on display.

Those two stops were set up when great amount of tourists would be there. Strasburg was set up for the Thomas the Tank Engine event and Steamtown for Lackawana Railfest.

In my opinion they should have skipped the Thomas weekends at Strasburg. There was hardly nobody touring the Amtrak train. There was some families with kids but the kids were not very well behaved and most just wanted to run through the train. Parking was also a nighmere. I bet they would have more through the train if they made it a special "railfan weekend".

In my opinion they should have skipped the Thomas weekends at Strasburg. There was hardly nobody touring the Amtrak train. There was some families with kids but the kids were not very well behaved and most just wanted to run through the train. Parking was also a nighmere. I bet they would have more through the train if they made it a special "railfan weekend".
Just for the record parking is always a nightmare on that weekend. I've been there in past years and it's been plenty worse. The heat was dreadful this year and that kind of kept people away. At least the weekend I was there. Amtrak felt there would be enough fanfare those weekends. When I was there there were a fair amount of fans touring. This is the train in Strasburg. Right after I took this I went on and toured the train. Maybe 20 people at best. Here's the NPCU. Everyone seemed to be photographing this... Rightfully so.

The trip down to see the 40th anniversary train was great - the Crescent got delayed 1hr 10min around Tuscaloosa due to track/freight interference but the magic of schedule padding had us in just 23 minutes late. Food was great.

If you have a chance to see the exhibit train near you, check it out. Of course I took 3 hours to go through and see everything on display; most people probably wouldn't spend that long!

It was enlightening to speak with some of the Amtrak staff - I recognized one gentlemen working the cafe/lounge on the Crescent and we had a good exchange about the company.

One of the regional managers on board was very passionate about Amtrak trying to improve customer service and make it more standardized across the LD trains - I said there was definitely an improvement but that there are always a few bad apples here and there. And the NEC is a toughie, but even there I have run into some really pleasant Amtrak staff.

He also said that if you look at food costs and price recovery, the food does actually make a profit but that those profits are rolled into wages, benefits, etc so it's still an overall loss (obviously). He felt that the food should have a separate line item budget so it can be demonstrated to the politicians that the food itself is not subsidized. He also stated the plastic "china" disappears constantly - apparently it is very popular and that it is a significant loss to the company. I told him it would be harder to sneak off a table setting for 4 of real china and he laughed and agreed, but that the budget is getting tight again so they probably won't add china (and a dishwasher) anytime soon but that it would be preferable to the plastic stuff.

For those of us who live in Atlanta, there is "hope" for a new Amtrak station - everyone in Amtrak management knows it's a huge problem that needs to be fixed; he wasn't sure if the holdup was due to the Georgia DOT, Norfolk Southern, or something else. But that if we can be patient a better solution is definitely coming down the road...they get a lot of complaints about the stairs, narrow platform, cramped waiting area, etc. We shall see...

Go see the train, it's really cool! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back