#421 Low Bucket Bedroom B to E possible?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JC_620

Train Attendant
I have decided to rebook my trip out west from the Holidays to the end of March. Today I called Amtrak and made a reservation which was placed on a courtesy hold for 7 days. Coming out of Boston on #449, switching to the #49 sleeper in a bedroom in Albany on 3/27, spending the night in Chi-town just in case the Lake Shore Limited decides to become the Late Shore Limited, and then I will be traveling on the Texas Eagle #421 to Benson, AZ on 3/29. Of course I have been looking religiously for the lowest bucket fares for a bedroom around that time on the amsnag website.

Funny thing happened to me when I spotted what I believe to be, a low bucket fare. I spotted the bedroom fare on #421 at $631. Naturally, I grabbed it. I also spotted it at increments of $792, $942, $1103, and $1264 respectively. What is funny is that once I booked it with the reservation sales agent, the bedroom fare jumped up to $1264 when I looked at it again out of curiosity. Additionally, I was hoping to get into Bedroom E, but I am tentatively booked into Bedroom B right now.

Any thoughts on if E might be sold out at one of the different bucket prices? Maybe that was why bedroom B was offered at the "low bucket" of $631? I suppose that I should be lucky as I did not get Bedroom A with the slightly different configuration of the bedroom.

Any input would be welcomed. Thank you.

I have decided to rebook my trip out west from the Holidays to the end of March. Today I called Amtrak and made a reservation which was placed on a courtesy hold for 7 days. Coming out of Boston on #449, switching to the #49 sleeper in a bedroom in Albany on 3/27, spending the night in Chi-town just in case the Lake Shore Limited decides to become the Late Shore Limited, and then I will be traveling on the Texas Eagle #421 to Benson, AZ on 3/29. Of course I have been looking religiously for the lowest bucket fares for a bedroom around that time on the amsnag website.

Funny thing happened to me when I spotted what I believe to be, a low bucket fare. I spotted the bedroom fare on #421 at $631. Naturally, I grabbed it. I also spotted it at increments of $792, $942, $1103, and $1264 respectively. What is funny is that once I booked it with the reservation sales agent, the bedroom fare jumped up to $1264 when I looked at it again out of curiosity. Additionally, I was hoping to get into Bedroom E, but I am tentatively booked into Bedroom B right now.

Any thoughts on if E might be sold out at one of the different bucket prices? Maybe that was why bedroom B was offered at the "low bucket" of $631? I suppose that I should be lucky as I did not get Bedroom A with the slightly different configuration of the bedroom.

Any input would be welcomed. Thank you.
You can call and ask them to MODIFY your reservation with a request for Bedroom E. Of course, if that bedroom is already booked, they can't modify your reservation. Don't let them charge you a higher fare for changing bedrooms. If the agent tells you it will cost more to move to E, then ask for a supervisor

I took a look at your train and I believe you just got lucky on the fare as there was recently a release of low-bucket bedroom fares for the Texas Eagle, which was a first since at least November (after the price hike TE bedrooms had been no cheaper than the third bucket). Currently amtrak.com only shows one bedroom available from Chicago-Benson on your date of travel. So you getting B is very consistent with being the 4th sold (in the order of E, D, C, B, A) and that A would likely be the only one available. Making a phone call will confirm this.

I should be lucky as I did not get Bedroom A.
That's funny as I specifically request "A" when I travel alone on odd months (even months it's 2 adjoining bedrooms 'cause the niece comes along). "A" does not join the room next door, so you don't hear the people talking...and especially...them flushing!! "A" seems more private and quite.

Back