422 June 21 Bustitution?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I would rather ride on a bus for ten hours (and sleep) then drive my car 700 miles. And I suspect my Mercedes is a nicer car than whatever you rented.
Mercedes are indeed wonderful automobiles but NO car can make the drive from El Paso to San Antonio across the Big Nowhere seem fun!

I've driven it many times, done the Sunset and the Dog and believe me the Train and flying are the way to do this route!!

Really wasn't too bad, this was a hang out guys trip with my son and I anyway, so we made the best of it. Had a Tahoe as a rental, first time driving one of those, quite comforatable, I've owned a couple of Mercede's in the past, but moved on. My old 280 SEL (the larger 126 body) I had when I lived in Europe for a few years was a nice car, and I had an ML-320 that I bought when I moved back to the US, but just wasn't for me, had several problems with mine, especially electronics, whcih always seemed to need a part shipped in from somewhere else. Both were nice vehicles, but just can't justify the premium here in the US especially for maintenance, which my ML seemed to need pretty regularly.....It's funny, overseas they're just cars, most taxi's are MB even, but over here it's a pseudo status symbol. Just like Jaguar, (another brand I'll pass on ever buying again) they're pretty, but just not worth the expense for the headache from my experience, but some people really like em. My neighbor has an E Class, and it is nice, and when I go with him to the dealer to pick up or drop off his for yet another service, I like to browse, but just don't see me buying another one. Wife has a German car, which she loves, (VW Eos Turbo convertible) and so far it's been ok, but I question it's long term reliability too, but there was no talking her out of it. I do like the BMW M5, considering it for our next vehicle, maybe after the next gen comes out. Who knows...For now, between her VW, our Durango SRT8, and Ram, we've already got more than we need!

As to the bus, again, we probably would have, if they were ready to go when we got to ELP, but sitting around for 4-6 hours, THEN starting the long ride? No thanks, we enjoyed the drive ok, got dinner that didn't come out of a box, hit the pool for an hour or so, got a good nights sleep, and still got in hours ahead of when the bus ride (s) would have gotten us home. It worked out, didn't get the train trip we were looking for, but at least we didn't get stuck in the bus mess!

Last edited by a moderator:
I've never been driven to the dealer for service. They give me a loaner.

My next car/vehicle will likely be a Mercedes Vito which should be coming next year. It's got a 2.1 diesel 4, I'm gonna get it in passenger configuration. But it'll haul double the cargo my ML350 does while getting close to double the fuel economy. It's rear wheel drive and designed for commercial use so it'll be more durable and capable than a FWD minivan as well as bigger, and get better economy than a Sprinter or E150, whose capability I don't need.

It's not a status thing. I've owned all Mercedes, all but the ML350 diesel. Most of them very old- the ML is an American made heap of garbage compared to a real Mercedes, and also the only car I bought less than 10 years old. Imma buy the Vito new. In fact I'm going to order it. I am choosing because over it's projected 10 year, 300k mile life, I think it is going to be a world cheaper to buy, own, and maintain than anything else that can haul either 9 passengers or 200 cubic feet of merchandise.

As info, no points back, but got a voucher for a bit more than what it cost us to rent a car, hotel, and drive home, so not what I hoped for, but better than I expected, especially given it was out of Amtrak's control.

Been a Tahoe lover for a long time - owned four and a Suburban over the years,,,, if you enjoy driving 700 miles to see the twin sister of my former mother in law in a couple of weeks to start our EB journey like I do, it's much nicer in a Tahoe. Like sitting in my living room. I wonder what the SUV renter will be when I get to GPK?

El Paso to SA (or Houston) is a drive I made several times in my youth, I'd gladly suffer the indignities of flying than repeat that ordeal. I can only imagine the horror of that interminable grind in a bus.

I don't see anything listed for "service notice" on Amtrak site

Does no listing mean that there is no longer a problem that requires bus for ELP-SAS leg.

On Sat (06/28), I'll board SLtd for trip from HOS to LA. I would prefer to skip a bus ride through west Texas. But, I haven't been able find information as to whether this is an ongoing problem.

Where do you guys find info on service disruption? I've found site for tracking progress, but that site does not provide explanation for train delays.

This is my 1st post and I may not have it under the correct thread. Should question be posted in another place?

Hey all, I am fresh off the Texas Eagle / Sunset Limited, CHI-LAX #421, and arrived in LAX this morning.

When we were in Dallas, my sleeping car attendant told me that there was a strong possibility of bustitution from San Antonio to El Paso. He said that the previous day's train (which would have arrived in LAX yesterday) did have to be bussed.

I was sweating it out a bit, having sprung for a sleeper in an attempt to avoid being crammed into a vehicle for an uncomfortable rideif I wanted that I would have flown!

Fortunately, however, before we got to San Antonio, we were told that the washout had been fixed, and that the plan was to continue through.

The Sunset was quite late getting into San Antonio, and we didn't leave until 6 in the morning. But we did indeed go through, no fuss, no bus. A few of us were in the lounge when we *slowly^ passed the work crew still at the washout site, and gave them some waves, fist pumps, claps, and thumbs-ups! They deserved it!

Most of the time the UP work gangs do seem to handle repairs fairly quickly! The big washout in Colorado above Denver was a good example as is this one!

It's good that no-one else is having to Bustitute thru the Big Nowhere between SAS and ELP!!!

That is good news. Thanks for posting.

Guess this is one advantage to sharing rails with freight lines that operate on time-is-money basis.

Certainly, I will have kinder thoughts the next time Amtrak is held up by freight traffic.

Hey all, I am fresh off the Texas Eagle / Sunset Limited, CHI-LAX #421, and arrived in LAX this morning.

When we were in Dallas, my sleeping car attendant told me that there was a strong possibility of bustitution from San Antonio to El Paso. He said that the previous day's train (which would have arrived in LAX yesterday) did have to be bussed.

I was sweating it out a bit, having sprung for a sleeper in an attempt to avoid being crammed into a vehicle for an uncomfortable rideif I wanted that I would have flown!

Fortunately, however, before we got to San Antonio, we were told that the washout had been fixed, and that the plan was to continue through.

The Sunset was quite late getting into San Antonio, and we didn't leave until 6 in the morning. But we did indeed go through, no fuss, no bus. A few of us were in the lounge when we *slowly^ passed the work crew still at the washout site, and gave them some waves, fist pumps, claps, and thumbs-ups! They deserved it!
Just curious... Do you remember the consist of the TX Eagle? Are they putting the through sleeper (#421) behind the transdorm or is it hooked up way at the back (or perhaps some other configuration)? Also, was the through sleeper a refurbished one?

I wasn't on #421 but I can answer this one! When #21/#421 reaches SAS on the 3 days a week it runs the cutout Sleeper and Coach for LAX are switched to the End of #1 when it arrives from NOL and the #421 Sleeper is the tail on the Train unless a PV is on #1 or #2!!

Between CHI and SAS #422 and the #421 _Sleepers are behind the Transdorm and in front of the Diner and serve as the Revenue Sleeper for # 21/#22 and #421/ 422! (Same Train!)

The Sleeper you get is Luck of the draw,it may be a rehab right of Beech Grove or a Ratty old "Shop Qeen! But the Eagles usually are the orphans of the LD Superliner Trains!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back