#5 (11) Held up by flooding in Colorado

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Moffat is open from what I understand. There is rail traffic moving through it as of 2 nights ago. 5/6 is still scheduled through Wyoming. As one person on a board I belong to, 5/6 is still penned for the next few days through Wyoming. If I hear anything else before it's posted here, I'll let you guys know. :)

He may have been referring to my note in that post about my friend having visited the area and seen that the fill has now been completed as of yesterday (10/3).
I was. If you clicked on the link I thought it was pretty self explanatory.

He may have been referring to my note in that post about my friend having visited the area and seen that the fill has now been completed as of yesterday (10/3).
I was. If you clicked on the link I thought it was pretty self explanatory.
I think Davy had just missed it. :D

Just to be a pill, the Wyoming bypass saves 10% of the time between Emeryville and Chicago. Why not make it permanent and leave the glacial canyon crawl for a tourist train?
Probably because a lot of passengers, for better or for worse, use it in part as a tourist train?
There's also arguably a lot better markets in western Colorado (Grand Junction, Glenwood Springs, etc.) for train travel than in Wyoming (which would be Cheyenne and a few other towns.)

I don't see it being beneficial to Amtrak to take the Wyoming bypass permanently.
If you look at the PIPs or the yearly station ridership reports, you'll see that there's very substantial "ski tourist" or "mountain tourist" traffic from Denver to Grand Junction. It's the third-most-popular part of the route, after Denver-Chicago and California-Reno.
If Amtrak had the money and equipment to run lots of trains, it might be advisable to run the Denver-California route through Wyoming and run a separate train from Denver to Grand Junction -- since the Grand Junction - Salt Lake City traffic is minimal. However, Amtrak doesn't have that option right now, and so it makes sense to try to capture as many markets as possible simultaneously.

5 and 6 are still showing disruptions on Amtrak Status. The way up to Moffat may be open but the CZ sure isn't using it.

I'm surprised that California-Reno is so popular with the CZ, that may drop quite a bit soon with ferocious competition from other operators. The only reason to ride the CZ on that segment is to go over Donner Pass and see Donner Lake, the transport element on that section is virtually pointless. JMO.

I will not reply to anyone who tries to veer off onto threadjacking by following my previous statement.

5 and 6 are still showing disruptions on Amtrak Status. The way up to Moffat may be open but the CZ sure isn't using it.

I'm surprised that California-Reno is so popular with the CZ, that may drop quite a bit soon with ferocious competition from other operators. The only reason to ride the CZ on that segment is to go over Donner Pass and see Donner Lake, the transport element on that section is virtually pointless. JMO.

I will not reply to anyone who tries to veer off onto threadjacking by following my previous statement.
Other railfan forums are reporting that the Moffat subdivision in Colorado is just a few days away from being opened again to all trains -- including the CZ. A few freight trains and work trains have been allowed through the area that was washed out last month, albeit at restricted speed.

The CZ route between California stations and Reno continues to carry many tourists, who enjoy the view (which is much better near the summit on the west side that achieved in an automobile) and the fact that the train tends to get over the line in all but the most severe of snowstorms, while the highway can be frequently closed for plowing or by accidents during the winter.

The earliest ticket one can book to ride between cities on the old Rio Grande route is October 19. From this I infer that Amtrak will detour through Wyoming as late as October 18.

The earliest ticket one can book to ride between cities on the old Rio Grande route is October 19. From this I infer that Amtrak will detour through Wyoming as late as October 18.
They said it would be rerouted for a month, I guess they really need a month to get stuff sorted out.

I'm surprised that California-Reno is so popular with the CZ, that may drop quite a bit soon with ferocious competition from other operators.
Maybe, maybe not. Startling numbers of people from northern California want to go to the Reno area, apparently. I don't see it, myself.

I'm surprised that California-Reno is so popular with the CZ, that may drop quite a bit soon with ferocious competition from other operators.
Maybe, maybe not. Startling numbers of people from northern California want to go to the Reno area, apparently. I don't see it, myself.
This one won't lead to threajacking, so I think it'll be OK to reply. Frankly, Reno is not fun at all. There's gambling, which is just a big waste of money, and there's nothing else at all. Lake Tahoe is better accessed from Truckee or South LAke Tahoe (the town), and skiing is really hard to access from any public transport without special ski shutttles like in DEN or SLC.

I really have no idea why a Californian would pay $100 round-trip to visit this plain little city at the edge of the Great Basin.

This one won't lead to threajacking, so I think it'll be OK to reply. Frankly, Reno is not fun at all. There's gambling, which is just a big waste of money, and there's nothing else at all. Lake Tahoe is better accessed from Truckee or South LAke Tahoe (the town), and skiing is really hard to access from any public transport without special ski shutttles like in DEN or SLC.

I really have no idea why a Californian would pay $100 round-trip to visit this plain little city at the edge of the Great Basin.
Maybe it's the other way around...lots of people from Reno want to go to northern California for a day? Not sure, just speculation. Either way would likely show up the same way in total rider statistics.

Maybe it's the other way around...lots of people from Reno want to go to northern California for a day? Not sure, just speculation. Either way would likely show up the same way in total rider statistics.
For a day? You can't do that on a train though, if you rode to merely SAC it would take over 5 hours each way and would be an impossible day trip. Maybe for 1- or 2-day trips, but again, other transport options are better when it's not snowing.

Don't go too much off-topic, then I'm going to become the threadjacker.

Please do note that the CZ is still running through Wyoming.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mount Rose ski resort on the north side of Lake Tahoe has daily ski shuttle bus service from Reno, but not from South Lake Tahoe, as the road on the east side of the lake is at times closed by snow. Besides, Heavenly Valley Ski Resort is adjacent to downtown South Lake Tahoe. Bay Area customers will often fill an entire coach of the CZ traveling to/from Reno.

News article update on amtrak:

http://www.9news.com/news/local/article/359053/346/Tracks-are-fixed-but-Amtraks-still-derailed

Two things in the article:

• Calli Hite of the Union Pacific Railroad tells the Glenwood Springs Post-Independent that there's a backlog of freight that takes precedence over passenger traffic on the UP's tracks.
  • Amtrak spokesman Marc Maglieri says he hopes to know more about resuming service by the end of the week
So there we have it. Moffat is open and hopefully soon everything will be back to normal in regards to Amtrak in this state.

FINALLY! The Colorado section of the California Zephyr route, will beggin running again starting tomorrow, Saturday October 12. Great news for our little store, and for all fans of the route. It took a while, but it was a huge job. They finished earlier this week, and Union Pacific spent the past few days getting freight trains through and over that bad backed up during the shut down. We would love to see any of you travelling this route to come in and say hello! We are located in the Grand Junction Amtrak Station, and carry drinks, snacks, sundries, and all kinds of Colorado and AMtrak and Rail related souvenirs. So glad they got this back up and running. They worked so hard to get it done

:cool: Glad ya'll get to Re-Open the Store Dave! I've been in ya'lls Store Several Times, especially Like the Coke Products! :wub:

I'm sure the Passengers taking this Route and the People of Central Colorado are Glad the Moffat Route is Open again! And Kudoos to UP, which Isn't always Friendly to Amtrak, for doing such a Quick Job of Repairing what was a Major Disaster!

FINALLY! The Colorado section of the California Zephyr route, will beggin running again starting tomorrow, Saturday October 12. Great news for our little store, and for all fans of the route. It took a while, but it was a huge job. They finished earlier this week, and Union Pacific spent the past few days getting freight trains through and over that bad backed up during the shut down. We would love to see any of you travelling this route to come in and say hello! We are located in the Grand Junction Amtrak Station, and carry drinks, snacks, sundries, and all kinds of Colorado and AMtrak and Rail related souvenirs. So glad they got this back up and running. They worked so hard to get it done
While part of me was interested in seeing the different route through Wyoming, I'm glad the traditional route is back. I'll be seeing you November 6!

Very happy for you, Dave. We'll be coming though there on December 27. Question: Do you have a mail-drop in the store for mailing the postcards we buy from you?

Thank you all. That was a long month of being closed. Great to see the passengers &crew again, come in and say hi! Trainmans Daughter, we are happy to mail any letters or postcards that our passengers and crew want to send. There is a drop outside the store, but the mail man does not always pick up regularly, so we drop items at the Post Office 2 blocks away. We always have tons of Coke products, knowing Amtrak only sells Pepsi. Here is train #6, the first one in this morning. Welcome back! Notice the

hands in the top window. (unless they always do that, or they are fake lol) and the news lady doing a story on the store and Amtrak service returning

1383893_533925230032901_1132462180_n.jpg

Thank you all. That was a long month of being closed. Great to see the passengers &crew again, come in and say hi! Trainmans Daughter, we are happy to mail any letters or postcards that our passengers and crew want to send. There is a drop outside the store, but the mail man does not always pick up regularly, so we drop items at the Post Office 2 blocks away. We always have tons of Coke products, knowing Amtrak only sells Pepsi. Here is train #6, the first one in this morning. Welcome back! Notice the

hands in the top window. (unless they always do that, or they are fake lol) and the news lady doing a story on the store and Amtrak service returning

1383893_533925230032901_1132462180_n.jpg
**LIKE**

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back