5/2 Northbound Auto Train Delay

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
That consist left Lorton April 29 on time, but endured delays due to flash flood warnings in the Carolinas. Arrived late into Sanford April 30. Left Sanford ALMOST on time April 30 with about 530 passengers. Stopped to inspect before Palatka, losing about an hour (it was a 50 car train). One diesel unit started having mechanical problems & the train lost time over the road. Picked up an extra diesel from #98 at Savannah. Train was then able to make road speed, but there were several delays due to traffic. At least one stop in the middle of the night was about 1-1/2 hour. T&E crew replaced at Yemassee due to hours of service. Arrived Florence about 7:00 AM, about 5 hours late. Got a fresh T&E crew for the north leg at Florence, but they ran out of time & had to be replaced at Richmond. A simple lunch was served to the 530 passengers, using available supplies, which were very limited. Finally arrived at Lorton around 3 PM May 1 (due 9:30 AM). I don't know what time that consist left Lorton southbound May 1, but it appears they were unable to recover the time & must have arrived late into Sanford May 2. If they couldn't shave time off during the Sanford turnaround, that would explain it. I have been told the train is now expected into Lorton about 3:30 PM, but that could change.

53(01) was held by civil authorities in Richmond, Va. just south of the James River Bridge around MP A 2.0. The Richmond PD was conducting an active homicide investigation (non-RR related) in the vicinity of the CSX North End Subdivision main line and had requested that all train traffic be halted. The delay to 53(01) amounted to several hours, compounded by engine problems enroute. 97(01) and 125(01) were also delayed, and I believe that 125(01) pax were bused from RVR to NFK.

The equipment off 53(01) did not arrive SFA until early afternoon, and the crew was not rested for an on-time call, plus the time necessary to turn and service the equipment at SFA. 52(02) was spotted passing Jacksonville around 0100 hours this morning.

If all this is so, then both consists are running late. It appears that most of the delays to both trains were caused by factors over which Amtrak had little or no control. The engine failure on northbound 52 on the evening of April 30 seems to be the one thing that can be blamed on Amtrak.

Correction to what I said yesterday: Julie says 52 due LOR on time today, so I'm guessing all delays were experienced by one consist, with the other consist running on time or close to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back