5 Hours at the Chicago Station.

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
And better for you too* but if you are in a strange city with it raining and you have a case and a rucksack and are juggling an umbrella a taxi would be better.

*Especially if you are going to be eating the amount of really lovely but bad for you food that I'm intending to eat in Chicago!

Don't forget...if you are ordering a deep dish, it may take 30-40 minutes for it to arrive. Well worth the painful wait.

Don't forget...if you are ordering a deep dish, it may take 30-40 minutes for it to arrive. Well worth the painful wait.
I believe they will take advance orders.

I'm surprised that no-one suggested hopping METRA and taking a ride!!!

I'm surprised that no-one suggested hopping METRA and taking a ride!!!
Yes, that's exactly the thing to do!

When I was passing through Chicago eastbound, I bought a round-trip ticket for Fox Lake at the Metra ticket counter. Looking at the map, it seemed to be a pretty scenic route and of interest is the first section which follows the route of the Empire Builder.

Then later on, passing through Chicago westbound, I had time to ride the Metra. I got as far as Northbrook, just beyond Glenview, and got back in good time for my connection to the CZ. If the LSL had not been delayed, I could have made it to Fox Lake!

Hi Everyone! On my trip this July I'm going to have about 5 hours to spend at the Chicago Station. Is there anything close by that would be of interest to a California Boy that's never been to Chicago before? Thanks! Steve

If you want to do something rather unique to Chicago, on the Madison end of Union Station's north platforms, you'll find an entrance to the Chicago Water Taxi. For $4, you can buy an all-day pass to ferry you from Madison to Michigan Ave. If you're here on the weekends from Memorial Day to Labor Day, a $6 all day pass will ferry you from Madison to Michigan and Madison to Chinatown's Ping Tom Park.

Check out chicagowatertaxi.com

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back