5 in a Roomette

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Having traveled with my wife and a toddler I can state that pushes the limit for a roomette. Hotbunking... well I dont feel it will be a fun trip for anyone.

My recommendation would be first two roomettes. One as a "quiet" room, the other as a "rumpus room" (with the door closed it should not bother other passengers).

Second would be the family bedroom (everyone together but less personal privacy).

Third would be coach with an attempt to get seating at the car end. As stated before there would be some room for a play area and for the toddler to nap. If you need a "quiet" area to be able to maintain communication ask for a lower level seat. There will be less traffic.

Regardless of what option you choose expect that you will become part of a community of fellow travelers, if you allow yourself to become outgoing and eagerly join that community you will LOVE the train travel

As a single parent, I am always dismayed when anyone with children asks for Amtrak travel advice on this forum.. they always seem to get masses of negative feedback. The best thing to remember is that most of the regular responders here just don't get out often enough.. I for one hope you can find a way to all get (or sneak, blagg, steal) into a roomette.
I love AMTRAK travel, and will be enjoying my next trip this monday.. God protect me from sitting next any of the negative individuals posting here!

Cheers,

Ed :cool:
uh, the question was how to subvert AMTRAK rules and put "5 in a roomette". I do get out, I do have kids, but I do pay for services what I receive.

Sorry if the answers did not comport to your fluid personality, but the are valid opinions of AMTRAK enthusiasts.

My suggestion: two roomettes. remember, meals are included.

As a single parent, I am always dismayed when anyone with children asks for Amtrak travel advice on this forum.. they always seem to get masses of negative feedback. The best thing to remember is that most of the regular responders here just don't get out often enough.. I for one hope you can find a way to all get (or sneak, blagg, steal) into a roomette.
I love AMTRAK travel, and will be enjoying my next trip this monday.. God protect me from sitting next any of the negative individuals posting here!

Cheers,

Ed :cool:
uh, the question was how to subvert AMTRAK rules and put "5 in a roomette". I do get out, I do have kids, but I do pay for services what I receive.

Sorry if the answers did not comport to your fluid personality, but the are valid opinions of AMTRAK enthusiasts.

Davey, that may be the way you took it, but I don't think it was the way he meant it.

As to those who don't like to have children around when you are out and about, you have my pity, but not my sympathy. As someone else said, it is not the disruptive kids I mind so much, presuming that they are not to the stage or condition to know better, but the "adults" of various ages who feel like they are supposed to have their way in every situation or are simply obnoxious due to either basic personality or booze.

Relax, go with the flow of the situation. One of my favorite oveseas memories is trying to stuff 7 teenagers, including two of my own, into a small Ford and noticing three Taiwanese teenagers on a motorscooter about to fall off it laughing at us. And, yes we on occasion did run with three on a motorscooter ourselves.

As to those people so rigid that they can't figure out how people live in other places: Don't go. Stay in you nice little cocoon. You will not only be miserable, but you will make all those around you, both foreign and local, miserable as well with your silly demands.

If the kids are under 50 lbs you can send them as checked baggage.

These guys usually ride 10 in a roomette.

packed-train-pakistan.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
With respect, I think we all need to lighten up a little.All she is asking is the best way to ride the train, for the least amount, and with the comfort of her family & others in mind.

I think most of us would agree with her on this.

Don't we all want to get the best value for what we spend & not have it be a hassle?

I really think coach would work out best keeping in mind the cost factor, with a possibility of upgrade to a family bedroom if reasonably priced.

If you book the roomette, ask to be placed on a waiting list for the family bedroom, it might work for you.

The privacy/diaper changing issue can be done in the downstairs ladies bathroom, which is larger. (If your coach has one, it's labeled ladies lounge)

If your toddler does get fussy, there are plenty of visual distractions that may help.

I think though, the chances are low that it would be an issue at all.

As I mentioned before, the flight with a toddler was tough. I can't imagine how the adults with him could handle it, they seemed pretty frustrated too.
They should have packed a flask!

(Just kidding) :lol:

Thank you so much sunchaser for your helpful suggestions - I think that's what we'll do if we decide to go the train route. I appreciate your insight and for your empathetic remarks.
They would have but the TSA banned that practice, along with coffee, tea, water or anything that might act as an adult pacifier. :cool:

At least with Amtrak conceivably you could sneak a flask on with no issue :)

I certainly agree we all need to be respectful and polite in answering questions and giving opinions. The original poster asked for advice. It seemed they didn't really want to accept it and so it became a question of them defending their position and then of course the comments became "stronger". The comments on this board will be nothing compared to the comments, disapproving looks, problems, and censure this party will experience if they take the trip as planned. They actually got alot of good feedback mixed with some humor and should appreciate the honesty of the responders.

Last edited by a moderator:

I certainly agree we all need to be respectful and polite in answering questions and giving opinions. The original poster asked for advice. It seemed they didn't really want to accept it and so it became a question of them defending their position and then of course the comments became "stronger". The comments on this board will be nothing compared to the comments, disapproving looks, problems, and censure this party will experience if they take the trip as planned. They actually got alot of good feedback mixed with some humor and should appreciate the honesty of the responders.
With regard to "strong" comments and subverting rules, since neither of you have read and understood this thread at all, I'm going to break it down Barney-style:

1. We are talking about putting the correct number of people in the roomette with the possibility of an extra child at times & on occasion, rotating an adult or child out as needed.

2. We would only have paid for and therefore expect meals for two people, those that had their tickets "upgraded" to the sleeper.

3. My children are not ill-behaved

4. The title of the thread was intentional - it was to make sure that the thread was not ignored. I guess in that regard, it was successful.

In summary, WE ARE NOT ACTUALLY PUTTING 5 PEOPLE IN A ROOMETTE. Actually, we do not even have a roomette booked as they are currently at the highest bucket, the family room is not available and the bedroom was close to a grand.

People responding "strongly" to assumptions that they made are not the same thing as thoughtful, helpful responses. And those responses came from people who read more than the title of the thread.

I re-read your original post this morning. You mentioned that you have ridden in coach many times. Are you signed up with Amtrak Guest Rewards? If you are, & you have enough points, you could defray some of the costs using points. It would be a two zone award for a bedroom, 30,000 points. You can also buy up to 10,000 points too. If you have 20,000 points, you could at least go part of the way. Just a thought.

EVERYONE understands what it is you would like to do. I think at first everyone really did try to be helpful and offer suggestions. You are trying to sell this to the wrong group, it is AMTRAK personel that will have to be convinced that it is in the best interests of all concerned. I said in my first post, "try it and let us know how it worked for you". I have offered my last thoughts on this subject and hope it dies from attrition.

EVERYONE understands what it is you would like to do. I think at first everyone really did try to be helpful and offer suggestions. You are trying to sell this to the wrong group, it is AMTRAK personel that will have to be convinced that it is in the best interests of all concerned. I said in my first post, "try it and let us know how it worked for you". I have offered my last thoughts on this subject and hope it dies from attrition.
GOOD!

I got all the help I needed well before you posted. ;)

You started this topic with a provocative title, got a lot of advice, both pro and con. Don't get all huffy because some people took exception to your plan. As I said before, I sure wouldn't want to be across the aisle from you in either sleeper or coach when you moved people back and forth. I've got nothing against families traveling by the train. The more the better, that's how we'll get the next generation of train travelers. Just be considerate of your fellow travelers. After all, they paid a lot of money for their trip. Just make sure your kids don't run amuck and everybody will have a good trip.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back