50th Anniversary promotion

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I haven't tried to complete it since I plan to travel that ticket, but I wonder if the advertised policy is a 25% penalty, but the system is coded to allow the cancellation to a voucher without fees at least through September 6. I've booked a few during this sale, so I'll see what it shows on Friday if I try to go in and cancel it.

Following up on this: when I go in to cancel it, it shows that I'll get 100% of the ticket value onto a voucher. Of course, Amtrak may change this at any time (and their stated policy is that it should pull a 25% fee from that voucher) but at least for now it looks like they can be cancelled for a voucher without penalty. I also haven't completed the cancellation process (because I want to travel on these tickets still) so it's possible that it slips in at the last second.

Can you do that? That wouldn't give us problems when we check in?
You could verify that with Amtrak itself but in the past, you would have to list seniors & AAA as adults to get a better discount which was offered only to those not getting the 10% when Amtrak had a special. Now, it appears that if you list them as seniors or AAA, it adjusts the discount to get the better temporary one. Don't know if it does that for not putting in "adult".
It would seem stupid to charge more for kids than they were offering for adults but then, it is Amtrak after all!

If it's cheaper to book adult fares, I would do that... my hunch is the Conductor is not going to care if you paid for sale coach seats and some of the people in your party are actually kids. In the old days, when Amtrak used to have weekly rail fare specials on certain days/routes, there was no distinguishing fare types - and it was cheaper for me to book 3 rail fare seats, than it was to book an adult and two kids - for that sale.

Decided to roll the dice again and buy an Amtrak ticket during this sale. Bought a 93 NER ticket NYP to BWI for October. Hopefully Martz Trailways brings back the 7:30, 9:35, or 9:55 weekday runs to New York by then, otherwise I will have to switch to a later NER.

Back