6 Amtrak P40's (Dash8-40pbh) for sale

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

A_Nonny_Moose

Train Attendant
Amtrak is selling 6 of the P40's according to Railway Age. most of the P40's have been in storage in Wilmington Del. for last two years.

Awww Dang, my favorite loco of them all is probably gonna be one of the ones sold, #803, because that unit hasnt been in service since early 2003. Well I suppose its better to see them sold and in action then just sitting there and rotting away, especially when they are still good/modern locomotives!

Because of their "young age" and "good condition" small toursit railroads or private railroads will most likely be unable to afford them. Most likely they will go into commuter service. I would also doubt to see them used by freight railroads as well.

I really couldnt see the P40s in freight service either, they really arent suited for that at all. But Id say VRE might pick a few up, or who knows maybe they wont find a buyer. But I have noticed from Geoff's website that more P40s have been used in recent times, so theres a good possibility that if they arent sold that maybe eventually they will come back to work for Amtrak.

If this story is indeed true, then I'm pretty sure that you'll see some commuter service scoop these engines up. After all the P40 is a cousin to the P32-ACDM. The P32's have a proven track record on Metro North at this point.

So while Metro North might not buy any P40's, since they lack dual mode, it is clear that this engine design can hold up under the rigors of commuter service. And who knows, MN might still buy a couple simply for use on the branch lines during times when they don't run into GCT.

Actually there was an F40ph that went into freight service a few years ago on the Ohio Central. They chopped off the nose and put on a front platform. It looks really odd, but I doubt the p40's will ever get that transformation.

A picture of that is found here. They sort of remind me of the sdp40's, that went into freight service on the santa fe as sdf40's.

I hope the MBTA is watching, since I am sure crews are familiar with the P40s from when they worked for Amtrak. The T's GP40s are getting to be a pain for commuters and need to be retired, good time to do it.

engine999 said:
Actually there was an F40ph that went into freight service a few years ago on the Ohio Central.  They chopped off the nose and put on a front platform.  It looks really odd, but I doubt the p40's will ever get that transformation.
A picture of that is found here.  They sort of remind me of the sdp40's, that went into freight service on the santa fe as sdf40's.
Remember, the F-40s were taken out of service after 25 years of passenger service. They were beat up, perfect for freight service. The P-40's on the other hand have only been in service for about 11 years. If the P-40's were placed into freight service they would require not only a platform deck on the front, but also on the rear.

Amfleet said:
engine999 said:
Actually there was an F40ph that went into freight service a few years ago on the Ohio Central.  They chopped off the nose and put on a front platform.  It looks really odd, but I doubt the p40's will ever get that transformation.
A picture of that is found here.  They sort of remind me of the sdp40's, that went into freight service on the santa fe as sdf40's.
Remember, the F-40s were taken out of service after 25 years of passenger service. They were beat up, perfect for freight service. The P-40's on the other hand have only been in service for about 11 years. If the P-40's were placed into freight service they would require not only a platform deck on the front, but also on the rear.
And also gear. "P" is designed for high speed while "F" is designed for slow and high torque.

Amfleet said:
engine999 said:
Yeah, I was just pointing out that Amtrak locos in the past have went into freight service. It is a waiste to leave the p40's in storage, especially when they are in pretty good condition.

Tri-Rail is a possible buyer for the engines. They currently own 6 ex-Norfolk Southern GP49's that are in pretty poor condition. They will need new power really soon, and if the Genesis has proved itself at VRE and MNRR, they might pick them up depending on the price tag.

No most of us railfans realized it a long time ago. They are starting to get it down at Tri-Rail because there are very few companies qualified to rebuild the units, and it might be more cost effective to buy the P-40's and get another 25-30 years out of them than to rebuild old one of a kind units that'll last 10-15 years.

If I rember correctly werent the F40phl's almost nearing the end of the line. They are rebuilds and probably about 15 years old now. I wonder what odd paint scheme tri-rail would conjure up to put on the p40's if they buy them. :lol:

They'd probably use the same side scheme they have now, as seen in this photo:

Tri-Rail%20F-40%20807-WPB-011904.jpg

As for the front design use the same bottom scheme, then set up at blue at the top similar to a Phase V Amtrak Engine, but with out the swoosh in the back.

Amfleet said:
Even more so, they could apply the palm tree scheme to the flat side of a P-40 and it probably wouldn't look to bad.
Or they could just wait for the next hurricane to apply a real palm tree to the side. :eek: :blink: :D :lol:

I personally don't think the palm tree scheme would look too good on an engine, a little vairety on the engine makes it look a little better than if it's just the same thing across the train. Even when you had a whole train in Phase IV the little bit of difference on the engine makes for enough variety.

Hey...yeah...um...just realized Amtrak isn't selling the locomotive we've all been thinking of. Amtrak is not selling their P-40, but rather the Dash8-40BPH, aka the P-32. Notice the title is wrong as the Dash8 is refered to as a P-40 when it is really a P-32. This quote from National Corridors Initiative.

For sale: Amtrak is selling a half-dozen GE Dash 8-40BPH engines (P-32s on Amtrak). In an ad in the August Railway Age, Amtrak says the locomotives were built in 1993. No asking price was published.

Amfleet said:
Hey...yeah...um...just realized Amtrak isn't selling the locomotive we've all been thinking of. Amtrak is not selling their P-40, but rather the Dash8-40BPH, aka the P-32. Notice the title is wrong as the Dash8 is refered to as a P-40 when it is really a P-32. This quote from National Corridors Initiative.
For sale: Amtrak is selling a half-dozen GE Dash 8-40BPH engines (P-32s on Amtrak). In an ad in the August Railway Age, Amtrak says the locomotives were built in 1993. No asking price was published.
Good point, its a p32-8bwh. Personally I think those locomotives were under utilized.

Amfleet said:
Well that makes far more sense than selling the P40's.

I just send a email to that editor as rhey are wrong. the Dash8-40BHW's are P40's not the P8-32BHW's Leo king says they are. I got the Amtrak advertisement in front of me. it is the Genesis 1's their selling.

A_Nonny_Moose said:
I just send a email to that editor as rhey are wrong. the Dash8-40BHW's are P40's not the P8-32BHW's Leo king says they are. I got the Amtrak advertisement in front of me. it is the Genesis 1's their selling.
Huh, you may be right. I also looked at Amtrak's recent 5 Year Plan and it shows all 18 P-32-8s still be operative in 2009. It also shows that the amount of P-40/P-42 locomotives will be dropped from 250 to 240 by 2009. So more than likely Amtrak is selling the P-40s as originally thought and NCI made an error.

Amfleet said:
A_Nonny_Moose said:
I just send a email to that editor as rhey are wrong. the Dash8-40BHW's are P40's not the P8-32BHW's Leo king says they are. I got the Amtrak advertisement in front of me.  it is the Genesis 1's their selling.
Huh, you may be right. I also looked at Amtrak's recent 5 Year Plan and it shows all 18 P-32-8s still be operative in 2009. It also shows that the amount of P-40/P-42 locomotives will be dropped from 250 to 240 by 2009. So more than likely Amtrak is selling the P-40s as originally thought and NCI made an error.
I thought Amtrak was going to dump the p32-8's. I would rather see them sell off a few P40's which are just sitting in storage. Why let a good loco go to waste.

Back