6 Amtrak P40's (Dash8-40pbh) for sale

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The advertisement showed a build date of 1993. The P32-8 (Pepsi Cans) were built in 1991. I'd be willing to bet that Los Angeles Metrolink is taking a long hard look at the units for sale to use while they figure out their own motive mower issues. It sounds like their F40 rebuild project is stillborn, yet they have a new order of coach cars due from Kawasaki. Something has to pull them...

-Firebert

...at least they have some time to figure it out...

Wait whoa whoa whoa. :blink: Kawasaki? I thought the order was with Bomabardier. Did I miss something?

battalion51 said:
Wait whoa whoa whoa. :blink: Kawasaki? I thought the order was with Bomabardier. Did I miss something?
Something that had to do with kawaskki complaining to the government. I believe sound transit was going to sell some cars, but kawaski said the government would not be able to subsidize the purchase (sounder to metrolink). Now kawaski got the contract. I hope they make cars similar to the bombardiers. Would be a shame if they are not compatible with the existing stuff. Also would look od seeing those kawaski cars with the bbd's in a consist.

I thought Metrolink's order was with Bombardier not Kawasaki. I also believe Metrolink is leasing two sets of equipment from Sounder until the new equipment arrives to them in 2006.

battalion51 said:
I thought Metrolink's order was with Bombardier not Kawasaki. I also believe Metrolink is leasing two sets of equipment from Sounder until the new equipment arrives to them in 2006.
Yeah, I heard that too. Could be that bombardier is subcontracting to kawasaki. I believe they subcontracted for other projects, like the R142's and R143's. The leased trainsets, I know is true; but I also read somewhere that metrolink was interested in purchasing cars from sounder. I belive caltrain bought some cars from sounder last year.

engine999 said:
I believe they subcontracted for other projects, like the R142's and R143's.
Not to my knowledge. AFAIK Bombardier built 1,060 R142 cars for the subway.

Kawasaki also built R142 cars for the NYC subway, 600 cars to be exact. However, that was at the request of the MTA. It wasn't Bombardier subcontracting. The MTA wanted to spread the risk and the production around.

All the R143 cars were contracted to Kawasaki, none were built by Bombardier or even ordered from Bombardier.

Kawasaki filed a lawsuit against Metrolink when they tried to purchase new equipment by utilizing options for more cars that were on the Sounder contract. They demanded that bidding be open to all interested parties, and the move worked because they walked away with the contract. They won through this scoring system that Metrolink uses to evaluate the needs of the agency compared to what the builders are offering. From what I recall Kawasaki actually beat out Bombardier by a surprisingly wide margin. I am looking forward to riding the Metrolink system more often in the coming years, so it will be interesting to see how the new equipment stacks up against the old.

-Firebert

AlanB said:
engine999 said:
I believe they subcontracted for other projects, like the R142's and R143's.
Not to my knowledge. AFAIK Bombardier built 1,060 R142 cars for the subway.

Kawasaki also built R142 cars for the NYC subway, 600 cars to be exact. However, that was at the request of the MTA. It wasn't Bombardier subcontracting. The MTA wanted to spread the risk and the production around.

All the R143 cars were contracted to Kawasaki, none were built by Bombardier or even ordered from Bombardier.
Ok I guess I am wrong. I must be thinking of some othe rail production project where the contracter subcontracted. :rolleyes:

Back