6 hr layover in Washington D.C. - Siteseeing?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
B

Bill Needles

We are connecting from the Capital Limited to the Crescent and have a 6 hour layover (hopefully but I'm sure it will be more like 4 or 5). Is that time enough and is the station close enough to do any sightseeing in D.C.?...if so, what would you suggest and what about transportation options. Thanks, Bill

Aloha

depending on time of day explore the station it is impressive. Have lunch. Last time I was there, their was a Hundai Art exibit. Explabation, cars decorated to be something else.

My sister who lives near say they have exibits all the time.

The DC Metro runs to the station., Their was a lookout that I sent some time at when I was there, also several Private cars on a track but I was not allowed on the platform that morning.

Hope I have helped

If you like train watching, go to the parking deck, there is plenty to see of the amtrak platforms....

Or go to the wraparound porch of the 2nd street Railway express office near the NARP office and you have a nice view of the north end of the terminal, be careful, you will most likely look suspicious.

If train watching isnt your thing, the US capitol is very close by, and the Postal Museum which is very good, is right next to the station.

Have a fun trip!

If you only have a few hours I would recommend the following:

Check your luggage into the storage room ASAP and jump on the Metro RED LINE to "Metro Center' station (2 stops from Union Station). Take the 11th Street exit stairs and head 2 blocks south for the FORD's THEATER NATIONAL HISTORIC SITE where President Lincoln was shot, and across the street is the house he died in. This will take about 90 minutes total of your time and still get you back in time to eat and make your train.

If you end up with 5-6 HOURS sightseeing time, immediately check your luggage into storage and take a taxi to ONE of the Smithsonian Museums, the Air and Space Museum being closest, the American History or Natural History museums being the furthest on the National Mall,.

From the National Mall it is about a 15-20 walk past the FBI Building up to the Fords Theater, then you can take the RED LINE Metro back to Union Station.

Allow 2 hours per museum on the Mall if you attempt to see more than one, and plenty of time for going back and forth in the DC traffic if you are using taxi's!

It takes about 25-30 miutes to walk from the A&S museum back to Union Station, most of it up a slowly inclining set of streets. If you are in good health it is a nice walk past the Reflecting Pool and the Capital Building.

Back