Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

battalion51

Engineer
I've recieved some information from a friend who has ARROW. He's reported to me that Viewliner Prototype 2301 (62091) is in revenue service. It's currently showing as the 5000 car on the the EB Cardinal. Last week she recieved some suspension work and was placed back into service. As for 2300, the news is not so good. As of the last report in September of 98, its shown in storage at Beech Grove.

On a more oddball note, Horizon Coaches are being shown as DHs on P091(02). Cars 54506, 54013, and 54067 are shown on the rear of the SB Silver Star. I plan to travel on 91 tomorrow, and will take pictures. I will see if I can dig up some dirt as to why they are coming south. I'm also hoping to dig up dirt on Silver Service schedule changes effective later this month. Will advise.

I'd be interested in those photos. Thanks for the info on the prototypes. As for 2300 I thought it was stored at DPF (Bear, Delaware), could you double check it? I'll update my roster tomorrow.

battalion51 said:
On a more oddball note, Horizon Coaches are being shown as DHs on P091(02). Cars 54506, 54013, and 54067 are shown on the rear of the SB Silver Star. I plan to travel on 91 tomorrow, and will take pictures. I will see if I can dig up some dirt as to why they are coming south. I'm also hoping to dig up dirt on Silver Service schedule changes effective later this month. Will advise.
I think during one particularily bad winter, Horizons were sent south to thaw out. Maybe this is in response to that big storm out east. As far as I am concerned, these cars could be dumped into the bermuda triange. They are some of Amtrak's worst equipment.

Steve4031 said:
As far as I am concerned, these cars could be dumped into the bermuda triange. They are some of Amtrak's worst equipment.
Actually Steve, they don't need to send them all the way to the Triangle to get rid of them. They can just add them to the old NYC Subway cars that are now being dumped off the coast of Delaware.

After being stripped of anything useful or environmentally harmful, our 40-year-old cars are being used as a base to form new coral reefs of the coast of Delaware.

Even though they started changing over train sets the last time I was here six months ago, it is still strange to see silver cars running on the number 7 line. As much as I don't like the redbirds the replacement cars look so out of place.

AlanB said:
Steve4031 said:
As far as I am concerned, these cars could be dumped into the bermuda triange.  They are some of Amtrak's worst equipment.
Actually Steve, they don't need to send them all the way to the Triangle to get rid of them. They can just add them to the old NYC Subway cars that are now being dumped off the coast of Delaware.

After being stripped of anything useful or environmentally harmful, our 40-year-old cars are being used as a base to form new coral reefs of the coast of Delaware.
Its kind of ironic, I thought about that when reading steves post too.

Something I completely forgot about reminded me why they are coming down. The Safety Patrol Special is coming up here in a couple of weeks. The safey patorl special is organized by some rich guy thanking safety patrols (elementary school) for their hard work, and rewarding them with a trip to Washington. The Conductor on 91 explained the evolution of the special to me, he said it started about 10 years ago when he first came on the job and used Amfleet I Cars. The train eventually moved on to Superliner equipment, but this was discarded A) because Amtrak doesn't have the rolling stock to spare, B) it was nearly impossible to get a 1000 kids upstairs with all their bags and what not. So they finally have come to Horizon equipment, which is not exactly ideal, but it suits the purpose. I will post the date of the special once I get word of it.

With regards to the upcoming schedule change, I have unconfirmed reports that Train 90 (the NB Palmetto) will now leave out of Miami at 1500. There is a curfew somewhere along the tracks, whether its a South Florida curfew or a curfew up in the Carolinas it is not known. But I do have unconfirmed reports that P090 will now leave Miami at 1500. Will advise as more information becomes available.

battalion51 said:
With regards to the upcoming schedule change, I have unconfirmed reports that Train 90 (the NB Palmetto) will now leave out of Miami at 1500. There is a curfew somewhere along the tracks, whether its a South Florida curfew or a curfew up in the Carolinas it is not known. But I do have unconfirmed reports that P090 will now leave Miami at 1500. Will advise as more information becomes available.
Well so far Arrow doesn't yet know about the changes, and NARP does not seem to know either. That's not saying that it's not possible, but if it's coming soon, then they better hurry up and publicize it.

Should the change actually happen, it would probably be a welcome thing for Tampa as the Palmetto would call at a better time for such a major city.

Of course the real question is what kind of a curfew? A crew curfew? Can't be a curfew on the tracks, as local communities have no say over what times trains can run. This is something that residents in both Colorado and Washington state have recently learned. The Federal Government and FRA rules forbid local towns from imposing such rules.

Frankly it would make more sense to me to find out that Tri-rail wanted Amtrak out of the way for rush hour, and asked for the change.

That's definitely not the issue Alan. Tri-Rail currently does not dispatch the Miami Sub, which FDOT owns, and 99.9% of the time we are forced into the hole for them. I am pretty sure that the curfew has something to do with track work (temporary) as the double track project down here has a few high speed switches that need to be installed. Other employees on the board that have worked up to FLO say the curfew is up there. We heard one rumor that P097 is going to leave out of FLO 1/2 hour earlier because of track work. It's all rumors at this point and I will advise. No word on 2300 Viewliner, will check with my source later.

Lots of luck getting that curfew to stick. As Alan pointed out becaue railroads are governed by entities of the federal government municipalities cannot place restrictions on them such as a curfew. Some minor point about the regulation of interstate commerce or something relating to the Constitution there. It is the same reasons there are problems enforcing curfews at airports, however many of those have voluntary curfews but that is another issue for another board :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back