75th Anniversary Empire Builder

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Great story and great pictures. Good to see Amtrak in action along the route with all the support of the locals.

There was one slight error on Amtrak's part when it told about the train when it operated under the Great Northern. True, it was the GN between St. Paul and Seattle, but it was the Spokane, Portland & Seattle (SP&S) that operated the Spokane-Portland section of the Builder. True, the SP&S was partly owned by the GN (along with the NP), but it was for all practical purposes its own railroad.

What a great story and rail trip report!

My wife and I are doing the EB fro Chicago to Seattle in September.

I noted with interest that many of the pictures taken from inside the train had that nasty reflection and glare. Anyone have any tips on how to minimize that problem?

Are there any places on the train that are open to the outside where you can stand and take pictures - I wouldn't tink so, but who knows?

Is the ride smooth enough that I can shoot at slower shutter speeds without too much blur?

Thanks for the input about this.

MrFSS said:
I noted with interest that many of the pictures taken from inside the train had that nasty reflection and glare. Anyone have any tips on how to minimize that problem?
Are there any places on the train that are open to the outside where you can stand and take pictures - I wouldn't tink so, but who knows?
To avoid reflection don't angle your lens to the window, but shoot directly out the window. Be sure not to use a flash either.

Opening vestibule doors/windows to stick your head out and take photos (or open it period) is prohibited by Amtrak and crews will strictly enforce this.

What a great article. Now I'm really wishing that I had gone up to Havre when the Builder came through.

According to my parents, who live in Williston, the local paper reported a turnout of nearly 200 people when the Builder came through. Maybe the mayor of Williston set up the derailment west of town so there could be a meet-and-greet session with David Gunn...

Thanks for the nice comments and the proper link.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back