#821 stranded - No Power

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

daveyb99

OBS Chief
Just caught a news story on WFAA CH8 Dallas-Fort Worth. (online video not yet available)

The southbound #821 Heartland Flyer was stranded in Sanger, TX (about 45 N of Fort Worth / 20 S Gainsville, TX). Engine apparently lost power.

The video showed a large response from many different communities as Sanger is very small. Passengers were school bussed to FTW.

The temp here is FTW today was about 105. Must have been quite an experience.

Just caught a news story on WFAA CH8 Dallas-Fort Worth. (online video not yet available)
The southbound #821 Heartland Flyer was stranded in Sanger, TX (about 45 N of Fort Worth / 20 S Gainsville, TX). Engine apparently lost power.

The video showed a large response from many different communities as Sanger is very small. Passengers were school bussed to FTW.

:) Temps are hellish all over Texas this summer, several times the TE #21 and #22have had engine problems while I was on them, perhaps the single engine on this train is the problem,

maybe old equipment or poor maintence???Once we had to back all the way to FTW on #21 when #22

broke down and a freight had priority and we sat for about 1hr. awaiting a replacement engine!The TE

has a much better on time record due to less freight traffic but the agent in AUS told me that

traffic is picking up as the economy slowly improves! :)

That's odd. That thing usually runs with two engines.

That's odd. That thing usually runs with two engines.
Actually the norm is to use one engine with a cabbage on the other end. There are several exceptions though.

Apparently the train hit a plow, which is why it became disabled and therefore stuck. Further details on things can be found here.

From time to time, the HF does have 2 P42s, and in my opinion is a much better looking train in that configuration. Lately, it has been running with a Cabbage on the north end and P42 pushing into OKC.

As a passenger on that train this past Saturday...let me just say that is was a miserable experience.

Welcome! Yeah, we are baking down here too, 16 straight days 100+ with hunidity but no

rain!Guess were trying to emulate the desert,hope your next ride is smooth,cool and on time!

Passengers were school bussed to FTW.
Given that school buses usually don't have A/C, I can't imagine that the bus trip was much fun.

Kudos to the people in the communities that helped the people.

It usually runs with a p-42 and a cabbage except when the cabbage gets taken to chi for maintenance then it runs with a p - 42 on both ends. I was on the train yesterday and they sent the cabbage up on 22 to chi. Also had a BNSF engine in front of (or behind depending on the direction) the engine that was on the disabled train and it ran with us all the way to okc.

Given that school buses usually don't have A/C, I can't imagine that the bus trip was much fun.

While school busses in the northern areas of the country either don't have a/c onboard or have the systems disconnected to save fuel - I know the Bluebirds my school district runs have disconnected A/C units to improve resale value - I'm pretty sure many Southern school systems have busses so equiped, possibly with strict rules about when the systems can be used- for example, when the temperature goes above, say, 95.

While school busses in the northern areas of the country either don't have a/c onboard or have the systems disconnected to save fuel - I know the Bluebirds my school district runs have disconnected A/C units to improve resale value - I'm pretty sure many Southern school systems have busses so equiped, possibly with strict rules about when the systems can be used- for example, when the temperature goes above, say, 95.
Well, it's not the South, but the school buses in my district in California didn't have A/C--and it regularly got to 115! Well, in my 4th grade year, we did get two new buses that had A/C. We always hoped we were assigned that bus!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back