9 Hour Overnight Layover in NOL

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kat

Hello all,

I'm researching a possible cross country trip for next fall from SEA to WAS using the southern route. For the transfer from the Sunset Limited to the Crescent, there's a 9 hour overnight layover at NOL. If I'm in First class on a guaranteed train, how is the long layover handled? Do they put me up in a hotel, on my own, or something else?

Also, they're showing a 1 hour layover from the Coast Starlight to Sunset Limited; Given past history, is it likely that I (and my bags) will make this connection?

I wonder if any of the trains on this run will have the new Amtrak American type cars by next October.

The overnight in New Orleans is on your own dime.

I've never tried to make the Coast Starlight-Sunset Limited connection.

Last edited by a moderator:
In theory Amtrak guarantees the connection at L.A. Most of the time, the southbound Coast Starlight arrives on time or early. That said, it can arrive late. If it doesn't arrive too late, Amtrak will probably delay the departure of the Sunset Limited. But don't expect Amtrak to do that if the Coast Starlight is ridiculously late, like 6 hours. And if you misconnect, remember that the Sunset Limited does not operate daily.

Hotels for the overnight in N.O. are a common question on this forum. Search for the answers.

I did this last fall. No problem with CS/SL connection. Given that 9 hrs is only one more than eight (and the SL is often 1+ hr late), I opted to stay two nights in New Orleans. Sure made life more pleasant.

If the CS is TOO late coming into LA, so that Amtrak doesn't want to hold the SL, they sometimes bus passengers from a stop in the San Fernando Valley (Burbank?) over to San Bernadino.

Many, many years ago, when the CS used to connect in LA with the SWC, the crew of the CS arranged for connecting passengers from a late CS to be bussed/taxied to San Bernadino from Glendale.

But, lookiing at my watch and the timetable, I estimated that I would still be able to catch the SWC at Pasadena if the cabbie hustled. So, I made that arrangement at the Glendale cab stand, and I caught the SWC at Pasadena with several minutes to spare, as the SWC had run into some signal problems between LA and Pasadena and was at least 20 minutes down at that point.

All of the other connecting passengers were sent on to San Berdoo in their cabs or buses, where they had to wait more than an hour for the SWC to finally arrive (not including that long ride without food from Glendale to San Berdoo). And I was just finishing my relaxing dinner in the diner when we finally arrived San Bernadino. And those connecting passengers boarding there were not happy campers with their very late -- well after 10 PM -- dinner options. While I went to my roomette and watched the climb up to Cajon Pass from darkened windows lying snug beneath fresh sheets and a comfortable blanket.

If the CS is TOO late coming into LA, so that Amtrak doesn't want to hold the SL, they sometimes bus passengers from a stop in the San Fernando Valley (Burbank?) over to San Bernadino.

Many, many years ago, when the CS used to connect in LA with the SWC, the crew of the CS arranged for connecting passengers from a late CS to be bussed/taxied to San Bernadino from Glendale.

But, lookiing at my watch and the timetable, I estimated that I would still be able to catch the SWC at Pasadena if the cabbie hustled. So, I made that arrangement at the Glendale cab stand, and I caught the SWC at Pasadena with several minutes to spare, as the SWC had run into some signal problems between LA and Pasadena and was at least 20 minutes down at that point.

All of the other connecting passengers were sent on to San Berdoo in their cabs or buses, where they had to wait more than an hour for the SWC to finally arrive (not including that long ride without food from Glendale to San Berdoo). And I was just finishing my relaxing dinner in the diner when we finally arrived San Bernadino. And those connecting passengers boarding there were not happy campers with their very late -- well after 10 PM -- dinner options. While I went to my roomette and watched the climb up to Cajon Pass from darkened windows lying snug beneath fresh sheets and a comfortable blanket.
San Bernardino would be a strange place to send SL passengers, since the train doesn't go there....and frankly, given the relative freeway v. SL times, a bus would have difficulty catching up with the SL in Ontario or Palm Springs...

When did the CS ever have a guaranteed connection to the SWC? The SWC Chief as an Amtrak train has never left LA later than 8 p.m, and for years and years has left at 730 p.m. or earlier.

And even in the best SP days, the old Coast Daylight never arrived in LA much before 7. As the Amtrak Coast Starlight, when were the arrival times before 8 p.m? And if there were a guaranteed connection of some sort, it would have been the tightest ever in Amtrak history, for sure.

And those connecting passengers boarding there were not happy campers with their very late -- well after 10 PM -- dinner options. While I went to my roomette and watched the climb up to Cajon Pass from darkened windows lying snug beneath fresh sheets and a comfortable blanket.
I think you meant to spell that boldfaced word up there with an "M." :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back