90 Palmetto and BIZ class

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wrjensen

Service Attendant
90 Palmetto today Alexandria, VA

04-JUN-09 6:13 pm

Consist

85, 1731,48160,25067,25009,25038,25015

Is the Cafe cafe half Biz Class? Both 80 and 90 always seems to have a cafe behind the baggage car.

What is the statue of the Amfleet-I to Club/Dinette Conversions? When the do these conversions what will happen to the BIZ class?

48160 is a Club-Dinette car, where you find half business class and half tables, with the cafe area in the middle.

There are no Amfleet I to Club-Dinette conversions taking place. AFAIK they are all done, and have been for about 3 years.

The only conversions that I'm aware of are the conversions of Amfleet II cafe cars to Diner-Lite cars, which I believe has been stopped for the moment any how.

In a Club-dinette car, one end of the car has the business class seating section with the 2 & 1 seats. Most of the cars have the fuax-leather seats, but a few have cloth seats. Then the cafe is in the center of the car, and the other end of the car has tables like a normal full cafe or dinette car would have. These cars are the only combination BC/Cafe cars that Amtrak has. There is an Amfleet I version and there is a Horizon version.

Otherwise, in the single level fleet at least, there are BC cars that only have BC seating inside the car. These cars have 2 & 2 seating and no tables or cafe counter. Then there are the Full-Dinettes, which have the cafe in the center of the car and tables at either end of the car.

Perhaps this list from OTOL will help.

But the bottom line is that if you sat in Business Class on train #54, then unless Amtrak had a big problem that day and bad ordered the normal car, you sat in a Club-Dinette. And if you were to ride the Palmetto in BC, then again you would be in a Club-Dinette.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back