91 & 97 MIA Turnaround

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Both 91/92 and 97/98 each use 4 consists (train sets) to run the regular schedule. There are no extra consists sitting around.
The way I learned arithmetic, 4 is 2 more than 2. In other words, 91/92 has 2 train sets, not just the 1 as stated earlier by you, and 97/98 has 2 train sets, not just 1.

Both 91/92 and 97/98 each use 4 consists (train sets) to run the regular schedule. There are no extra consists sitting around.
The way I learned arithmetic, 4 is 2 more than 2. In other words, 91/92 has 2 train sets, not just the 1 as stated earlier by you, and 97/98 has 2 train sets, not just 1.
91 turns to 92 and 97 turns to 98. No extra train sets. If incoming is very late, outgoing leaves late.

Sent from my iPhone using Amtrak Forum
There are 2 91's, 2 92's, 2 97's and 2 98's. Hence, 91/92 has 4 consists, 97/98 have 4 consists.

So, if I have it right, 91(4) (yesterday's train from NYP) turns to be 92(6) (tomorrow's train from MIA)

91(5) (left this morning from NYP) turns to be 92(7) (Monday's train from MIA).

That's 4 trainsets for the Silver Star

Last edited by a moderator:
That doesn't make them "extra", since they're needed for everyday service. Nobody said that there was just 1 set.

Looks like 98 left Mia right on time this morning despite 97 not arriving until just before 5am.

I'm happy we were able to change our reservations and left yesterday. An extra day in NYC is a welcome bonus.

Looks like 98 left Mia right on time this morning despite 97 not arriving until just before 5am.

I'm happy we were able to change our reservations and left yesterday. An extra day in NYC is a welcome bonus.
I noticed that both 97 & 98 came thru WPK today with sleepers and baggage car on the back of the consist, how long has this been the case?

I believe it will be permanent - sleepers on rear. :(

:( I was in the last car, a sleeper once. Without weight behind it, the car bounced allot. I am sure when they get enough complaints, they will switch them back. Then they will complain about the train whistle over night every 10 minutes :) I don't know how the baggage being the last will fix that or not.

Bruce-SSR

Yes, the baggage car behind it fixes it - that's why they put it back there.
Good.. thanks. Just have to make sure to follow the signs to the dining car :)

<the following is for humor only, should not be taken at face value>

But I like being closer to the front of the train, so I can get to where I am going before the coach passengers do :)

Bruce-SSR

Turning 91's set for 98 shouldn't be an issue because all you have to do is add an extra sleeper. Since Miami is "home base" for the Viewliners there should always be an extra sleeper down there that they can add in. When 97 arrives they just cut out the third sleeper and the yard now has the same amount of equipment as when the night began. Looking at Dixieland it looks like 98 left on time and 92 left an hour late which gives credence to the theory that 91 turned for 98 and 97 turned for 92.

91 turns to 92 and 97 turns to 98. No extra train sets. If incoming is very late, outgoing leaves late.
There are 2 91's, 2 92's, 2 97's and 2 98's. Hence, 91/92 has 4 consists, 97/98 have 4 consists.
So, if I have it right, 91(4) (yesterday's train from NYP) turns to be 92(6) (tomorrow's train from MIA)

91(5) (left this morning from NYP) turns to be 92(7) (Monday's train from MIA).

That's 4 trainsets for the Silver Star
2 97's and 2 98's are not how the consists are looked at. The Silver Meteor has a 27:40 scheduled NYP-MIA trip time. Not going to have more than 2 trainsets in motion most of any given day. The Meteor currently uses 4 consists but it has run with 3 consists in the past. In that case, 2 of each does not work.

I took a look at Miami Terminal (or station if you like that better) through Google Maps website. That is a very large train facility with what looks like some maintenance facilities. But the equipment parked near to it doesn't look like Amtrak equipment, cant really tell by a satellite image.

Again, looking at the satellite image, it looks like what is the Amtrak platform, the tracks associated with the platform end at the end of the platform.

File this under, just curious. If I am seeing the appropriate platform and such, when the train arrives, does it first go around so it faces north, then backs into the platform, or does it pull into the station tracks, then backs out to go around so it heads north?

I am guessing that once it is parked on the stations tracks, it doesn't move till it picks up new passengers?

Bruce-SSR

Present station has a loop track encircling the station and loading / unloading tracks and platforms. Trains come in to dead ended stub tracks to unload passengers, then back up to the switch that joins into the loop's lead, switch is lined for the loop and the train is turned. Any set outs for maintenance will alter things a little.

After fixing and cleaning, train backs out of yard and goes reverse on one of the loading tracks to await NB passengers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back