91 delayed (5/13)

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dixie

Train Attendant
We are waiting for 91. Was supposed to be here (CLB) at 1:44, but about 1am we received word the train would be de delayed due to a possible trespasser incident in/near Camden.Latest estimate is a 4:05 arrival in Columbia.

At this rate the northbound train will be here first...

Hello, NotElvis :) Nice to see another Tweetsie fan around these parts.

I'm happy to report our northbound train from Florida was entirely incident-free and ran exactly on time. We even treated ourselves to a meal in the dining car, which was delicious.

Here is the only thing I've been able to find about this fatal incident, and it's behind a paywall:

Cassatt woman killed when hit by train
www.chronicle-independent.com › Crime-Police-Fire
  • 5 days ago – A Cassatt woman died after she was hit by a train four miles north of Camden near Sanders Creek Road.

A mention was also posted on the newspaper's Facebook page on May 16:
* Cassatt woman killed when hit by train Monday morning

Other than that, I haven't been able to find a thing. Guess there isn't much to say. A pedestrian doesn't have much of a chance against a train.

The woman that was killed, her death is suspected to be a homicide. At least by the people who knew her very well. I'm not going to go into detail, but this "male friend", had the PERFECT opportunity. Cops around the Cassatt area usually don't investigate accidents if the victim is intoxicated.

My belated thanks to Peaches for posting. Since I was booked for a points run on #91 from SAV to DFB, I'd looked but had trouble finding any news on the pedestrian accident. Thanks as well to Guest_peaches for offering what might explain the lack of any follow-up info.

Up to the time of the accident, the Star this night was running on time. I'd opted to do some "foaming" from the SAV depot until the 4:29am scheduled arrival. The Amtrak SAV station staff were most helpful with status updates, and eventually directing us to using the 800 number to switch tickets to that morning's Meteor, gaining a couple hours back from what would eventually have been a 4 1/2 hour delay.

The agent on the phone was a bit confused at first, since these trains take different routes at times. I was on hold while she called SAV to make sure this was a viable option.

I'd heard part of the reason for such a long delay was the crew ran out of legal running time. Does this mean the crew change for the Star is in Columbia, SC?

My belated thanks to Peaches for posting. Since I was booked for a points run on #91 from SAV to DFB, I'd looked but had trouble finding any news on the pedestrian accident. Thanks as well to Guest_peaches for offering what might explain the lack of any follow-up info.
Up to the time of the accident, the Star this night was running on time. I'd opted to do some "foaming" from the SAV depot until the 4:29am scheduled arrival. The Amtrak SAV station staff were most helpful with status updates, and eventually directing us to using the 800 number to switch tickets to that morning's Meteor, gaining a couple hours back from what would eventually have been a 4 1/2 hour delay.

The agent on the phone was a bit confused at first, since these trains take different routes at times. I was on hold while she called SAV to make sure this was a viable option.

I'd heard part of the reason for such a long delay was the crew ran out of legal running time. Does this mean the crew change for the Star is in Columbia, SC?
The crew change is Southern Pines, I believe.

Not 100% certain, but I believe the conductor and engineer change at Hamlet and Jacksonville. Under normal circumstances that's an 8 hour run. If the train is delayed 4 hours in between, yes, a crew could go "on the law".

The crew change is Southern Pines, I believe.

Crew change points for the Star going northbound are; Jacksonville, Hamlet, Raleigh.
Hamlet is correct; however, for a time, that operating crew change did take place at SOP rather than HAM at the request of the crews due in part to more varied accomodations & restaurants in the Southern Pines/Pinehurst area versus Hamlet. The extra running time between HAM & SOP is just enough that it was changed back for operational reasons.

Edit: clarity

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back