91 on the Ground in Auburndale

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Viewliner

Engineer
I just got word from Sean Gilliam that 91 is on the ground in Auburndale. Fortunately, its only P-42 #20 and Baggage Car #1851 (one of the Vermonters) that are on the ground, according to him.

91 may be combined with Train 97, may combine the train or 97's crew may be split with 1 conductor and 1 engineer to 91 (which will be outlawing fairly soon). MIA may send a relief crew if necessary.

I received a second call just now saying that P-40 #834 running to Auburndale possibly to take 91 down to MIA (Auto Train Crew will take it out of SFA).

Sorry for the hastily written post. So much for things returning to normal. :(

I'll post updates as I get it from Sean, whos in Sanford now.

I just got another call, the latest is as follows:

P-40 834 is running light to Auburndale at 30 mph, and will move 91 into a nearby siding or yard, and P091 is annulled.

No word on 97.

834 will Deadhead on 97 to Auburndale to take P-42 #20 and Baggage Car #1851 back to Sanford if they're released.

The symbol used for this move is P357-08

Right now all I know is that 97 will run down to Auburndale to take on the Remainder of 91's consist (Dorm, Sleepers, Diner, Lounge, Coaches). It will then go up through Lakeland, wye, and head back on its normal route south to Miami.

At least it was not serious, hopefully this will not effect any of the trains tomorrow northbound.

There was talk that there was 1 more supertrain heading this way today. Didn't hear about a derail at 3:30pm.

Thank God it was able to stop! :rolleyes: We don't have the cars to fill the loss.

We could also use a break down here!!! :D We have changed more traction motors in the last 6 months, than we have in the last 3 years! :blink:

We are short on machinists!! :angry: We only have 3 working. Alot of overtime or locos waiting for repair. :(

Miami Joe B)

ummmmm - why would 97 go over to Lakeland? It's normal route would be what 91 was taking anyway, unless 91's grounded engine and baggage car have that section of track blocked. Or is it right at that section of track just before the canyard where there is a crossover, and maybe they have to go past 91 going west and then wye beyond it and come back to cut south of the grounded equipment into the canyard from the west side? Hard to visualize it without knowing exactly where they grounded. There usually is at least one csx engine in the vicinity, if I recall from all the times we've been through there, which one would think might be available to assist...

AmtrakWPK said:
ummmmm - why would 97 go over to Lakeland? It's normal route would be what 91 was taking anyway, unless 91's grounded engine and baggage car have that section of track blocked. Or is it right at that section of track just before the canyard where there is a crossover, and maybe they have to go past 91 going west and then wye beyond it and come back to cut south of the grounded equipment into the canyard from the west side? Hard to visualize it without knowing exactly where they grounded. There usually is at least one csx engine in the vicinity, if I recall from all the times we've been through there, which one would think might be available to assist...
Let me start off with how I found out about all this. I rode P09808 to Sanford and then walked over to the Auto Train facility. 53 was late arriving so they were working for a good long while, with 52 leaving at 1740 and the Yard Crew knocking off for the night at 1830. The crew had to move some cars around in E Clean to make room for the 9030 (in the Auto Train derailment) which started to get cut up for scrap today. An Emergency Crew was called in to bring the 834 out to 97, and then return to Sanford with equipment if Mechanical cleared it to be moved. 834 was tied on to the head end of 97 with Engine 6 as the trailer. Well to answer why we would've gone to Lakeland is because the dearilment happened on the connection track from the Sanford Sub to the Auburndale Sub. The derailment occured either on or just near the unprotected crossing on the south end of the sharp curve before you connect on to the Auburndale Main. When we arrived the engine and bag car were still on the ground. As the crew was climbing down for a job briefing with the Bosses, Mechanical, and CSX they heard O712 call in an Emergency on the Carters Sub, hit pedestrian out towards Lakeland blocking the Main. CSX quickly rerailed the 20 and 1851 (Adirondack Adam, not Vermonter) and repaired the track so we could use the connection track to go south. 20 and 1851 ran down to SE McDonald Connection, backed through McDonald Connection, entered the Carters Sub and waited for us to clear up the Sanford Main. We coupled up to 91's equipment from the Dorm back, waited for repairs to occur and proceeded south. The CSX foreman walked us over the derailment site at 5 MPH, we then moved at 20 MPH for another 4 miles and then resumed Maximum Speed, 80 minute delay. P35708 returned to Sanford with just the 20 and 1851, no word on what their Maximum Speed was. Back on 97 we made our stop at Winter Haven where we were supposed to meet the relief crew from Miami. Well they weren't there and didn't answer their radio so we proceeded south. We ended up meeting the relief crew at West Lake Wales, with a 50 minute delay on that. Once we got moving we only had one minor delay and that was taking the siding at Dyer (just north of West Palm) for K940. It was evident to me the Miami based Engineer (no offense to him) wasn't familiar with P40's as once he took charge of the train the slack was running in and out of the train a lot, whereas our JAX Engineer who knows the P40's had no slack problems. Long day, I ended up in Ft Lauderdale at 500. The train made it to Miami around 530 as the JAX crew was able to sign up at 1330 today, even though they didn't leave until 1545 due to a late turn from 97. 98 did leave on time, with a MIA crew taking the train to WTH and then the JAX crew from 91 taking it in the rest of the way. 98 was scrapped together with cars from Hialeah, proving the point that they have at least enough cars in Hialeah for a full trainset, and thensome.

One more thing, here's the full consist on 91:

2512-Possible Electrical Damage

62021-Plumbing Damage

8532-Temoinsa

28008-Pittsburgh

25054-Non Refurb

25036-Non Refurb

25028-Concept 2000

25059-Concept 2000

8553-Deadhead

You think his day was bad? :blink:

I hit the gate to work at 7:15am and I see this consist at the station. At first, I thought it was a supertrain, but then I noticed the 5 V/L's and where they were in the consist. There were 2 in the front, 1 in the middle and 2 near the end.

Got in the shop and heard what the mess was about. After the safety meeting, found out that I was being pulled out of PM to work the mess with 2 other electricians.

After going thru the wash, the train was split into 2 consists. We powered it up, carmen started shoeing and inspecting and we did a walkthru at 10:00am The cleaners started and we found a V/L with a waterleak. Had to cut the car. Also had a coach with a b/o door. The electrician worked it all day and did the opposite of everything I told him!

Did alot of A/C repairs,lights, etc.

The train(92) was supposed to go to the station at 2:00pm, but the engines were not ready. Went back to the coach to see the door problem and it was still b/o. They dropped power at 2:30 to replace the V/L. Then a foreman radios that #90 needs a another coach and it will come out of #92.

After a few calls, that move is cancelled. WE laced #92 back together, started HEP and sent the train to the station.

When I left at 3:20pm, the train was at the station with a bad door, #90 was still in the yard and nobody gave a damn. I got pissed and left. :angry:

Anybody know when it left?

Miami Joe B)

According to amtrak it left at 4:02 pm. Amazing how amtrak never realizes that all the atention cant always be put on the insignifigant parts at one time.

Miami Joe said:
You think his day was bad? :blink:
I hit the gate to work at 7:15am and I see this consist at the station. At first, I thought it was a supertrain, but then I noticed the 5 V/L's and where they were in the consist. There were 2 in the front, 1 in the middle and 2 near the end.

Got in the shop and heard what the mess was about. After the safety meeting, found out that I was being pulled out of PM to work the mess with 2 other electricians.

After going thru the wash, the train was split into 2 consists. We powered it up, carmen started shoeing and inspecting and we did a walkthru at 10:00am The cleaners started and we found a V/L with a waterleak. Had to cut the car. Also had a coach with a b/o door. The electrician worked it all day and did the opposite of everything I told him!

Did alot of A/C repairs,lights, etc.

The train(92) was supposed to go to the station at 2:00pm, but the engines were not ready. Went back to the coach to see the door problem and it was still b/o. They dropped power at 2:30 to replace the V/L. Then a foreman radios that #90 needs a another coach and it will come out of #92.

After a few calls, that move is cancelled. WE laced #92 back together, started HEP and sent the train to the station.

When I left at 3:20pm, the train was at the station with a bad door, #90 was still in the yard and nobody gave a damn. I got pissed and left. :angry:

Anybody know when it left?

Miami Joe B)
It left at 4:14(the palmeto) left yesterday. The time above was today.

Don't know. :(

I saw 834 at the station, when I got to work.

Didn't look at what locos were going where. :blink:

Sorry :(

Miami Joe

Thank goodness this happened far enough south, such that it didn't delay my trip on the AT.

In fact, we had zero meets from JAX to SFA on Friday morning. :)

Although we were still late by 2 hours, thanks to heat restrictions out of Lorton. That despite having left 10 minutes early.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back