#97 5+ hrs late????

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Grandma B

Train Attendant
I usually check on Amtrak On Time Performance (NYP-WPB) each day to see how close to the scheduled time it arrives. When not finding it the usual way, I checked the Amtrak website. The Silver Meteor #97 due into WPB at 4:54 PM is being a given "estimated" arrival time 10:53 PM. Does anyone know why the Meteor is 5+ hours late????

Not sure exactly, but I believe they were held up by a disabled freight train. As to what the situation was, I am not really sure. If I get anything tomm, I'll be happy to post it. Maybe some of the others will chime in if they have better info. OBS gone freight...

All it would take is for a freight to break down, or hit a vehicle at a crossing, at a particularly bad location from a train scheduling standpoint, and then have that give you a domino effect of causing two or three other train crews to go "on the law", meaning that they were on duty for the maximum length of time allowed by federal law. If the railroad is unable to quickly get a relief crew to those trains because of where they "died", especially when it happens on a stretch of single track out in the boonies somewhere, the result is a scheduling disaster of major proportions. When that train crew "dies" under the hours of service law, the train has to stop, wherever it is, and stay that way until a relief crew arrives to take over operation of the train. Remember that when you have a single track, if the train on that section of track stops, ALL train traffic stops on both sides of that section. I don't know if that was the problem today, but a simple problem can snowball pretty easily given the right circumstances. Obviously they at least try to find a double-track section to stop at, and each crew knows when their time limit is, and they usually make sure the dispatcher also knows, but frequently they end up as the cork in the bottle.

It was definitely isolated. I got a voicemail from a friend of mine earlier (which I need to return) saying they have been running consistently early SB into JAX. No worries. B)

Thank you for your answers. So, the #97 could of been part of the domino effect from another train/freight breakdown/accident. We'll keep our fingers crossed that all runs smooth on the 18th and 19th and we arrive close or near to schedule in WPB. We're having family pick us up and they're an hour and a half away from WPB. I'd hate to have them sitting at the station for over 5 hours. Does Amtrak give any vouchers or refunds when unfortunately their trains are exceptionately late??

Thank you for your answers. So, the #97 could of been part of the domino effect from another train/freight breakdown/accident. We'll keep our fingers crossed that all runs smooth on the 18th and 19th and we arrive close or near to schedule in WPB. We're having family pick us up and they're an hour and a half away from WPB. I'd hate to have them sitting at the station for over 5 hours. Does Amtrak give any vouchers or refunds when unfortunately their trains are exceptionately late??
when i've been on a train running late and had friends picking me up, it's been obvious we'd be late for quite a while before my stop. i've just asked the conductor (nicely, of course, and in a calm moment -- i can't believe the way some passengers yell at train employees like everything is their fault) if he or she has a sense of when we're likely to get there. then i call my ride on my cell phone and let them know.

if you take a look at the schedule and it seems like you're running behind, quite likely you'll be able to let your family know even before they'd need to leave the house.

Thank you for your answers. So, the #97 could of been part of the domino effect from another train/freight breakdown/accident. We'll keep our fingers crossed that all runs smooth on the 18th and 19th and we arrive close or near to schedule in WPB. We're having family pick us up and they're an hour and a half away from WPB. I'd hate to have them sitting at the station for over 5 hours. Does Amtrak give any vouchers or refunds when unfortunately their trains are exceptionally late??
GB - tell your family they can check the status of your train on the Amtrak.com web site - right on the main page. Give them your train number and the code for your arrival city. They can plug that in and know instantly about what time you will arrive. That way, if you are running late, they don't have to leave until the 1.5 hours before the time Amtrak.com says you will arrive. They can start checking 3-4 hours before your arrival time and that should take care of the concern.

Thank you for your answers. So, the #97 could of been part of the domino effect from another train/freight breakdown/accident. We'll keep our fingers crossed that all runs smooth on the 18th and 19th and we arrive close or near to schedule in WPB. We're having family pick us up and they're an hour and a half away from WPB. I'd hate to have them sitting at the station for over 5 hours. Does Amtrak give any vouchers or refunds when unfortunately their trains are exceptionally late??
GB - tell your family they can check the status of your train on the Amtrak.com web site - right on the main page. Give them your train number and the code for your arrival city. They can plug that in and know instantly about what time you will arrive. That way, if you are running late, they don't have to leave until the 1.5 hours before the time Amtrak.com says you will arrive. They can start checking 3-4 hours before your arrival time and that should take care of the concern.
Very good idea....thanks! I'll definitely do that! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back