9800 and other NEC rants

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wrjensen

Service Attendant
As I was boarding my train today at WAS. (the second trip this week) I noticed on the end of the train was car 9800 a conference car converted Metroliner car. It was something I had never seen before. After walking toward the front of the train I noticed a Business Class car in the middle of the train and took the chance that it was a sub for a used for the coach passengers. I lucked out. But what I noticed on my way back into WAS tonight that there was 9800 facing the other way on I would bet the regional before mine and my biz call car still in the middle of the train. I have been taking the NEC regionals a lot and noticed the consist seem very static other then a few times having one less coach. Ok after my rant her my questions.

What is the 9800 car used for? Taking Amtrak big wigs on rides?

How many regional trains sets are there?

Why would they use a biz car as the sub, I can believe there not a spare coach at WAS?

What is the utilization rate for the NEC regionals?

I know the Vermonter must have 2 train sets that set on each end for 11 hours on each end so the are used a little over 50% per day. (my guess on of the lowers on the system)

And Newark Del is my new favorite station on the NEC

The last regional train I took had about 5 business class coaches throughout the consist. I don't think this is unusual.

There are at the minimum 30 trainsets used for Northeast Regional use and 16 of the 20 Acela Express sets are used on a daily basis. How the rotation works I have no idea all I know is that a computer sets up the days rotation. As for your extra Business Class car that's going to happen every once and a while. I've seen Amtrak use a Coachclass car for Business Class. So I think you got lucky. While I'm not the biggest fan of the Amcans I do like how Amtrak has refirbished the Amcans into the so called Capstone. To make things even better Amtrak has a few Amcans with the Metroliner logo and the old Northeast Direct logo and to make it even more better the Metroliner car is in the Phase 4 paint and I've been told that the Northeast Direct car is in the Phase 3 paint. All of this is due to the copyright that Amtrak put on the names.

The last regional train I took had about 5 business class coaches throughout the consist. I don't think this is unusual.
My friend at Georgetown who lives in Philadelphia always takes Regionals to/from school/home, and always writes to tell me whether he "won the Amtrak lottery" or not--whether there was an extra business class car serving as a regular coach car which he got lucky enough to get seated on :) I think he "wins the Amtrak lottery" about half the time, which suggests there are a fair number of business class cars subbing for regular coaches.

There are at the minimum 30 trainsets used for Northeast Regional use and 16 of the 20 Acela Express sets are used on a daily basis. How the rotation works I have no idea all I know is that a computer sets up the days rotation. As for your extra Business Class car that's going to happen every once and a while. I've seen Amtrak use a Coachclass car for Business Class. So I think you got lucky. While I'm not the biggest fan of the Amcans I do like how Amtrak has refirbished the Amcans into the so called Capstone. To make things even better Amtrak has a few Amcans with the Metroliner logo and the old Northeast Direct logo and to make it even more better the Metroliner car is in the Phase 4 paint and I've been told that the Northeast Direct car is in the Phase 3 paint. All of this is due to the copyright that Amtrak put on the names.

Actually, there is only one of each. Both are in the phase 4 paint. There are no phase 3 Amfleets on the road anymore.

cpamtfan-Peter

Keep in mind that Amtrak's fleet is over-taxed. Even those Vermonter sets are used more than a car is supposed to be. Take a look at their route-mileage compared to, say, NJ Transit's.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back