A Better Amtrak Schedule Site?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When looking at flights on Google, they have a calendar showing the cost of return flights for each day. As of yet, i haven’t found anything like this for Amtrak. I understand that Amtrak operates differently than an airline but it would still be helpful to see how costs compare through time. Has anyone attempted to make anything like this in lieu of an official solution?

There used to be a website that would show 30 days of fares, but due to changes on Amtrak's systems, that website can no longer scrape the data together. :(
I've heard that Amtrak is in the process of creating something similar to what the airlines provide.

There used to be a website that would show 30 days of fares, but due to changes on Amtrak's systems, that website can no longer scrape the data together. :(
I've heard that Amtrak is in the process of creating something similar to what the airlines provide.

I'd love to get at Amtrak's APIs myself and make a website for it, but I guess I should wait to see what they come up with themselves.

I seriously doubt Amtrak exposes public or semi-public APIs.

If you can hack into Amtrak's internal APIs, more power to you. Just looking at the web page source, it looks to me as if they are using just a few monolithic APIs with a lot of different functions crammed into them. In other words a hairball architecture. If you can get past security, you still have that to contend with. More power to you if you give it a go, though!

I have suggested that Amtrak embrace "open data" and have publicly accessible information feeds... but Amtrak's IT department appears to be a shambles, and before that, they were openly hostile to sites like Amsnag. So.

Back