A Better Track-A-Train

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Train2104

OBS Chief
Since I was getting tired of Track-A-Train's "complexity through simplification" interface, I made this, using the same data feed and base map.

• Any location errors or missing trains on Amtrak's interface will show up here.
  • The color coding is not the same as is used on Dixieland. Red >= 30" late, yellow >= 15" late (20 and 15 for Acelas) Gray for service disruption.
  • Times in italics are estimates. This really lets you see the "real time schedules", by looking at how much time Amtrak thinks late trains will make up between two stations...
  • Advisory messages are only shown where available and are by no means exhaustive or guaranteed correct.
  • Trains shown on Track-A-Train as not having yet departed their origin are filtered off the map.
http://asm.transitdocs.com/2015-04-02_18-53-38.png

I realize that I don't have a search feature, but I don't expect having the time to figure out how to make one in the near future.

Last edited by a moderator:
I like what you did. Amtrak's own tends to not work half the time.

I wonder what is wrong with today's Southwest Chief no. 4 that is arriving into Chicago and why it is running so late.

I like what you did. Amtrak's own tends to not work half the time.
Note that when Track-A-Train says "tracking is not available", this won't work either.

Also, I made a typo in the original post, the yellow threshold for Acela is 10".

Nice work! This ought to make it a lot easier to start those "What's Up With XYZ?" threads.

I noticed your new website shows a reason for today's Coast Starlight (2/11) being later - struck trespasser. I couldn't seem to find that info on Amtrak's Track a Train, but maybe I didn't know how to find it. Are the reasons for significant delays such as this unique to your website? If so, where does that information come from?

So. Good.

I have found the "Track a Train" interface to be quirky (and that's being kind) on my Mac. Clicking on a train may give the desired data, but also may cause the application to crash, and most often, do nothing.

One of the things that Mrs. George really appreciated was being able to track my trip to PSX and EMY last September. However, knowing when I was going to be back in Chicago (so she could pick us up at CUS!) was the best.

Thank you for an outstanding job.

I noticed your new website shows a reason for today's Coast Starlight (2/11) being later - struck trespasser. I couldn't seem to find that info on Amtrak's Track a Train, but maybe I didn't know how to find it. Are the reasons for significant delays such as this unique to your website? If so, where does that information come from?
It's in Amtrak's version, but never displayed to the public.

Thanks. Not knowing the kinds of things that are in Amtrak's version (and not displayed to the public) I'm curious about what your website will tell us: Collisions? Equipment problems? Derailments?

Thanks. Not knowing the kinds of things that are in Amtrak's version (and not displayed to the public) I'm curious about what your website will tell us: Collisions? Equipment problems? Derailments?
This is free form text and can be anything Amtrak chooses. Sometimes there's reasons for delay, sometimes operational notes.

I really like this. Easier to navigate and zoom on a smartphone than Amtrak's pop up window. However, on my android device, the text doesn't zoom and it's really little - hard to see. And I can only zoom in so far before it snaps back to a higher coverage.

Very nice, good go at it. I've bookmarked it on my phone!

I'm aware of the mobile browser issues (on mine, it can't seem to tell if I want to zoom in the map or zoom in on the page itself, leading to very blurry icons). Of course, the OTP list also falls off the screen.

I don't intend this to be a replacement for Dixieland.

Oh boy!. New challenge.

Deciphering the operational notes.
They're mostly self explanatory...the codes at the end have to do with some internal reference that employees can use to get more info.

I really like this. Easier to navigate and zoom on a smartphone than Amtrak's pop up window. However, on my android device, the text doesn't zoom and it's really little - hard to see. And I can only zoom in so far before it snaps back to a higher coverage.

Very nice, good go at it. I've bookmarked it on my phone!
I think what you are experiencing is with Google Maps. Zooming in is actually zooming in the map, not the size of the page.

One work around i found is to select a train, then zoom in over the station stop details. This zooms in the page and not the map making everything larger.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back