A Canal, a Ship and the Maple Leaf.

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NS VIA Fan

Conductor
This is a cool video: Time-lapse of a ship passing through the Welland Canal from Lake Erie down to Lake Ontario. And if you go to 6:10.....you will see the ship pause momentarily in the Flight Locks at Merritton just as VIA/Amtraks Maple Leaf passes before the CN Lift Bridge opens. (but you have to be quick.....this is time lapse!)

Amtrak’s Empire State Express didn’t have to worry about a possible delay from a ship in the canal when it ran between Detroit and Buffalo across southern Ontario. In went under the canal in this tunnel near Welland. Looking out from the rear vestibule.......

77-11Scan10040.JPG

And prior to the tunnel.....New York Central trains used this bridge over an abandoned section of the canal at Welland.

Image003.jpg

That was cool.

My dad used to take us up to the Soo Locks when we were younger. One of his favorite things to do is watch the ships go through the locks. He gets so excited, like a little kid at Disney World. We took him up there last spring, as it had been about twenty years since our last trip. The look on his face was worth it. ^_^

I cannot even imagine trying to steer those giant freighters into the locks. It's like parallel parking x 1,000,000.

If it's a freighter, it's a ship. "Boats" are small, recreational watercraft.

While they are often called boats, they are classified as a ship. Neither of us are wrong.

Not saying you are, sorry if it came off that way. I was just saying that the Laker crews call there ships, boats. Heck, the last serveral Canada Steamship Lines and Algoma Boats, were built in China, and made the long journey across the pacific partialy loaded with Chinese stone ballast. They had to add bracing in there holds for structural integrity. As Lakers are designed for calmer fresh water, and shallower drafts that was not a routine Ocean crossing.

Nice video, it's amazing that these canals and locks were designed and built so long ago before modern technology, and are still in use!
I thought the Welland Canal has pretty much been entirely rebuilt over the years? I remember visiting it as a kid and thinking it was pretty darn cool!

Nice video, it's amazing that these canals and locks were designed and built so long ago before modern technology, and are still in use!
I thought the Welland Canal has pretty much been entirely rebuilt over the years? I remember visiting it as a kid and thinking it was pretty darn cool!
There’s been four canals……basically on the same route across the Niagara Peninsula. The current canal opened in 1932 but has a newer 8 mile section to bypass the City of Welland that opened in 1973.

Back