A Different Eagle

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

OlympianHiawatha

Engineer
I just arrived Chicago on the Texas Eagle from FTW and as soon as the train arrived FTW I noticed a couple major changes. First, with all the extra Heritage Bags now on hand, Eagle sets now have one in consist. Second our set had a Straight (Full) Diner though only half was used for pax and with just one Lead and one Server, they were over worked.

The Server said he much preferred the CCC and that will remain the car of choice for the Eagle. I caught a rare equipment swap.

Now to see if any surprises await on tonight's Cap.....

Replacing the CCC on the Eagles with a Full Diner happens occasionally as does subbing a second CCC for the Sightseer Liunge. The Bag Car has been on the consist most days for the past year, looking forward to seeing a New Viewliner Bag on the Eagles!!

Hopefully the Amtrak Suits don't decide to try the CONO expierement on the Eagles ( no Chef and moving the Cafe LSA to the CCC plus a Very Limited Menu).

I am surprised to hear that an Food service worker prefers a CCC as a Diner, most of the Diner crews dislike CCCs . ( Let us know how the Food is!)

Look forward to the rest of your trip reports I'll be riding the Eagle in Sept to CHI and the Cap and Eagle home from the Gathering in Oct.

Last edited by a moderator:
I haven't seen an Eagle set in several months and right away noticed it looks like a Real Train since it has a Bag. Chow was very good, especially the Steak. My table mates all had the Salmon and said it was very good. Now, they had no Omlettes next morning, but I survived on the basic eggs and potatos with a side of Chicken Sausage. Day 2 Lunch was limited to Meat or Veggie Burgers and anything from the now limited Children's Menu.

I got my first look at 2 Viewliner Bags coming into CHI and they are nice. Hopefully HO and N models are quick to follow.

We were on the Texas Eagle twice in the last month to/from Los Angeles from Fort Worth. Both had a full dining car and both were using both sides of it. We had two servers and the LSA.

As Jim said, the baggage is nothing new. On Sunset Limited days, they send the baggage car out with it.

Last month (June) SAS - CHI we had a full DC with one server and LSA. On the return, we had the CCC, again with one server and a LSA. Neither LSA did much especially on the return. Inventory was limited on the day we arrived in Chicago. Lunch was a burger (beef or veggie) and Breakfast had no omelet, and out of most side items. According to our SCA, managers want as little food as possible returning to Chicago. He said if lots of coach customers eat in the DC on the 21 train then the 22 will run short on the return.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back