A Dumb Way To Die... rail safety advert.

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Way to go! Be negative without even watching the ending, which has the rail stuff! That's not dumb though...?

Ed :cool:
If a commercial (for any product or service) doesn't hold the viewer's attention long enough to get to the product or message, its not effective!
You are not the target audience since presumably you already know better than to step in front of a moving train, play

around on the tracks, or drive around a crossing gate. So whether it held your attention isn't necessarily a gauge

of this commercial's effectiveness. They weren't trying to communicate with you (to your credit).

Way to go! Be negative without even watching the ending, which has the rail stuff! That's not dumb though...?

If a commercial (for any product or service) doesn't hold the viewer's attention long enough to get to the product or message, its not effective!
You are not the target audience since presumably you already know better than to step in front of a moving train, play

around on the tracks, or drive around a crossing gate. So whether it held your attention isn't necessarily a gauge

of this commercial's effectiveness. They weren't trying to communicate with you (to your credit).
Yes, I'm aware of that. Regardless of rail safety (obviously, I didn't get that far into the clip), after several fairly repetitive verses, I was ready to bail by the time the three week old pie came around - and I did! If a train would have appeared sooner I might have stuck around :p

Hi fairviewroad,

Sorry not to have seen your original post! I came to the item late by following a thread from a speech by a feminist writer and activist. I have another non train life too!

I will concede that the advert seems not to work for most of you guys. I think the challenge is to find ways of getting folk to remember safety messages... finger wagging and saying "don't do that" does not always work. The next time I stop at a rail crossing I am pretty sure the "dumb way to die" tune will pop into my head as a reminder...

I wonder if it can be sung in Hindi, hundreds die on the rail tracks in India every year.

Back