A few notes about the Cascades

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cascadia

OBS Chief
I often ride the Cascades 510/517 between Bellingham, WA (BEL) and Vancouver, BC, Canada (VAC).

News report Item #1:

I went up last Sunday, May 2nd, and the train was very full. I ended up sitting in the bistro car with another guy who boarded at BEL, because there were no seats left. The lounge car was full too. It was fine for such a short trip.

The reason the train was so full was that a large proportion of the passengers were going on an Alaska cruise! They actually separated us out when we went through customs, asking if we were going on a cruise and saying if we weren't we could go in the "expedited" line, they split the line-up, and I had never seen them do that before. It was fun to be around a bunch of people who were so happy to be traveling and heading out on a cruise. There was a girl sitting next to me in the bistro car who was going and had gotten her fare through VacationsToGo.com and her 6 night cruise was only 400.00! I looked it up and saw it was one that left May 5th. She was going to Victoria first. Pretty cheap for 6 nights anywhere (even at home! :)

News report Item #2:

When departing on Amtrak from Pacific Central Station in Vancouver, BC they have instituted a new procedure. There is a table with clipboards and piles of customs declaration forms, and you fill your customs declaration form out before you get in line for your seat assignment. Previously you would be handed a form when you checked in and you would fill it out in transit before you arrived at the border.

News report Item #3:

The 510/517 run is going to have Superliner equipment again soon! A crew member told me they will be starting the remodeling of all the Talgo Bistro cars and we will have Superliners on our run for the duration. I got kind of attached to the long-distance equipment when we had it for 3 years during the last round of repairs and refurbishment.

News report Item #4:

The second train to Vancouver, the one that used to overnight in Bellingham, will continue the extension to Vancouver until or through September, can't remember exactly what the ticket agent said. Canada Customs and Immigration is hoping to see 60 passengers a trip from that train to make it worth their while. I am glad they extended the service which was implemented for the Olympics and is a great improvement for the region, even though it doesn't do me much good because taking it either north or south adds a cab fare to my cost which is not very practical. It's nice to know it's available if I need it though, and it sure gives Vancouverites more options.

Was the train included in the cruise fare? I went on an alaskan cruise roughly 5 years ago, but I flew up, mostly b/c a train woulda taken too long from texas, but also, I didnt know you could get train fares included.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back