A Guidebook to Amtrak's California Zephyr DEN - SLC

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Not a lot more to say is there?
Are you referring to the Flashing Yellow Guidebooks by Eva Hoffman? Just curious. I only have one set, so no, can't buy mine... but I think you can buy them on-line and also in the Grand Junction station's convience store along the way.

If you are interested in route guide books and plan to the #7 or #8, check out the guidebook I wrote from Chicago to St. Paul, MN. www.outsidetherails.com

RT

i would also recommend henry's book. i think the guide you are referring to is one in the excellent flashing yellow series. to order by mail, send a check to flashing yellow guidebooks, po box 3533, evergreen, co. 80437. the price is $11.50 incl s and h. when i have ordered i have recieved my guides within a couple weeks

i would also recommend henry's book. i think the guide you are referring to is one in the excellent flashing yellow series. to order by mail, send a check to flashing yellow guidebooks, po box 3533, evergreen, co. 80437. the price is $11.50 incl s and h. when i have ordered i have recieved my guides within a couple weeks
There are also Flashing Yellow Guidebooks for the CHI-DEN and SLC-EMY legs of the Zephyr as well... I think if you order all 3 books you get a few bucks off per book. Or, to save on S&H, stop at the little store in the Grand Junction, CO station... they usually carry them.

ALSO, Flashing Yellow has good guidebooks for the Southwest Chief, Texas Eagle/Lincoln Service, and Sunset Limited.

They are VERY GOOD and I almost always take them along when I travel.

I have the Empire Builder covered in my book, Outside the Rails. wwww.outsidetherails.com -- just email me at [email protected] for ordering info... I'll give forum members $5.00 off the cover price.

There are also Flashing Yellow Guidebooks for the CHI-DEN and SLC-EMY legs of the Zephyr as well... I think if you order all 3 books you get a few bucks off per book.
unless it's a new policy there isn't a discount for buying the set (trust me, i've got them all) but they are well worth the price.

Doesn't Amtrak still provide a complimentary brochure of each major long distance train? I have some in my collection (sorry, not for sale), that date back to the pre Amtrak CZ "Vista-Dome Views"......

While these may be nowhere near as comprehensive as to what you are referring, for the casual passenger they are very nice. :)

Doesn't Amtrak still provide a complimentary brochure of each major long distance train? I have some in my collection (sorry, not for sale), that date back to the pre Amtrak CZ "Vista-Dome Views"......

While these may be nowhere near as comprehensive as to what you are referring, for the casual passenger they are very nice. :)
Yes, they do! I got the chance to meet the man who writes them for Amtrak a couple of times when passing through the Amtrak HQ in Washington. Nice guy and very thorough research.

You usually get one of the route guides if you are traveling in a sleeper -- it can be hit and miss in coach (there are sometimes stacks of them sitting on top of the water fountain by the stairs in the middle of the coach car)

Anyway, yes, the books (Flashing Yellow and the book I wrote) provide A LOT more detail about the route than the pamphlets. You're talking around 500 pages if you buy all 3 Flashing Yellow Guidebooks for the route of the Zephyr or Southwest Chief... and my book covers just the CHI-MSP section of the Builder in 300 pages (the first 100 pages of my books is just CHI-MKE)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back