a silly little question re: CPAP machine onboard

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

one-trip-only

Train Attendant
We are newbies on the SWC KCY-LAX in March, in a bedroom.

DH uses a CPAP w/humidifier. He says there is no concern with "sloppage" as his machine works well on lesser amounts of water. But I'm thinking I'm gonna have to plan for an extension cord to allow for his power. I'm guessing that the best place for him to place the unit would be under his (lower level) bed. Or if not, outside the bed under the ladder to the upper bunk. Yes? No?

At any rate, could anyone guestimate how many feet of extension cord (well, how many feet of cord in total, including his unit cord) I should plan to have on hand, to allow for him to place his unit in the best spot?

Thanks!

I traveled from LAX to SEA two years ago in the Coast Starlight with a CPAP in a standard bedroom. If I recall correctly I did not even have an extension cord on that trip and it seems to me I plugged into the outlet at the sink and had the machine on the floor and I slept in the lower bunk. Worked fine except I woke up in the middle of the night when the power went out due to an engine change (unscheduled I think) somewhere around Oakland or Sacramento. When you're used to the positive pressure and asleep it's kind of jarring when you breathe against the machine and it wakes you up. That said, I loved the trip and it gave me the bug for LD train travel. Last year I took the train from NPN to DEN with a roomette from WAS onward. That was trickier with the CPAP because, slow learner that I am, I still hadn't put an extension cord in my CPAP bag. I made it work with the machine on the floor again. The other limiting factor is the hose length. I've since put an extension cord in the bag but that was more because I got tired of hotels with terribly placed outlets that weren't close enough to the bed.

Blue skies ..

Depending on your CPAP model you probably will not need an ext. cord, My power cord would reach from the floor (roomette) to the wall outlet without an extension. Use smaller amount of water (or none at all) and you should be fine. The air hose is more of a problem for me than the power cord.

I carry a 6' standard household extension cord for other devices ie. laptop, ereaders, etc. but have not needed it for a CPAP.

Enjoy your trip on the SWC, particularly the segment through Raton and Glorietta Passes as this route is endangered.

There was recently a lengthy thread here about CPAP machines - maybe someone could find it as it might add some helpful context!

Last edited by a moderator:
I've used a CPAP on Amtrak, ScotRail, First Great Western and Thai State Railways in Thailand and to Butterworth, Malaysia. Never needed an extension cord in any sleeping car though I always carried a short one just in case. I was lucky in Thailand/Malaysia because I used 2nd class sleepers (open berths) and there are only two outlets per car--I had the berth next to one of the outlets, both times. It works on 240V so you don't need a converter, only the plug.

Thank you. Good to know we probably won't need one - but I will pack a short one to broaden our options, just in case. As Sky Pilot said, it'll probably come in handy in our hotel rooms too.

IMHO everyone who brings electrical stuff with them should carry an inexpensive extension cord. The utility versus weight & price of a 5 or 6 footer is amazing :hi:

I use a CPAP and always travel with an extension cord. It not only is useful on Amtrak, but in many hotels and motels where electrical outlets are not always convienently placed for the CPAP.

I just finished a trip on the Empire Builder, and filling my humidifier reservoir halfway worked fine. Up until this trip, I went "dry" without the humidifier on the train.

Last edited by a moderator:
As a user of CPAP on trains, I'd suggest the following:

CPAP's can be run w/o the humidifier. The humidified air helps keep the nasal passages from drying out. Yet I have had no problem using my CPAP on trips of 5 days w/o the humidifier so a night or two on the train w/o it shouldn't be a problem. Usually I just leave the humidifier at home and I carry a portable battery pack (designed for CPAPs) with me that can run 3 nights before recharge. It will even run my CPAP with humidifier on for 6 hours! The battery pack weighs about as much as the humidifier attachment and tank, takes up less space and provides a great convenience when traveling. I use it at night, charge it by day, can wait for days if needed when before charging.

Even when I plugged in my CPAP, I found putting it on the train wall side of my upper bunk by my face (with a pillow protecting me from the plastic) was not a problem. There is plenty of room. With the battery, I just place the CPAP on it next to my face.

Any CPAP user should be smart enough to carry an extension cord at all times when traveling. Not all motels (or relatives' homes) have an available outlet. I always carry one with a small 3-outlet end on the extension in case I need to plug my cell phone into it also. In Europe it was handy because hotels there think one outlet in a room is more than enough. I would just plug the extension into a 240V adapter and my cell and CPAP (which both do 120/240) into the extension so I could charge and use CPAP w/o having 2 adapters.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back