A Song about my Favorite Rail Bridge

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jis

Permanent Way Inspector
Staff member
Administator
AU Supporting Member
Gathering Team Member

I always visit it whenever I visit Edinburgh. It is a short train ride to North Queensferry on any local train to Fife across the Firth of Forth. Take a local train and not a though train to Aberdeen or Dundee or some such, since they will more than likely, not stop at North Queensferry.

Any train that is not local to Fife tends to have its first stop in Fife at the next station - Inverkeithing.

Fife incidentally is Macbeth country. He was the Thane of Fife.

Last edited:
My understanding is that the Forth Bridge was designed shortly after the Tay Bridge blew over, and the designers were determined that such a fate would not befall the Forth Bridge. Certainly it looks "hell for stout."

I also heard that one of the two simply supported spans, when it was floated into place, was a few inches too short. With the engineer's approval, they built fires on the span, it stretched, and the workers pounded the pins in place and extinguished the fires. Wikipedia confirms that construction began a few years after the Tay Bridge collapse, but is silent on the issue of fire being used to assemble the bridge.

In any event, it is a beautiful bridge, and I hope to get to it some day. Thanks for posting.

I always visit it whenever I visit Edinburgh. It is a short train ride to North Queensferry on any local train to Fife across the Firth of Forth. Take a local train and not a though train to Aberdeen or Dundee or some such, since they will more than likely, not stop at North Queensferry.

Any train that is not local to Fife tends to have its first stop in Fife at the next station - Inverkeithing.

Fife incidentally is Macbeth country. He was the Thane of Fife.

Scotland likes its railway bridges so much, it puts them on its currency.3B32477D-11F7-4CAA-9174-FFBD9C39FD40.jpegDC180004-23D8-4EAA-8B36-F4458349474E.jpegDC180004-23D8-4EAA-8B36-F4458349474E.jpeg

Back