A Special New Year's Eve

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bill Haithcoat

Engineer
Honored Member
I remember a rather unusual New Years. Left ATL to NYC on Dec. 30, 1983. New Year's Day came on a Sunday that year.Pleasant uneventful trip in my sleeper. I do remember clocking the train at 120 mph a few times between WAS and NY. I saw the white mileposts and knew to do that, I realized we were doing some serious speeding and I got curious. I ate dinner at a coffee shop at the Waldorf Astoria Saturday night. I was not quite dressed for the occasion and I am sure the waiter was pre-mouthing "special of the day" on his lips as I gave my order.

My hotel was my usual at that time, the Paramount on W. 46th Street. Just half a block from the action.Times Square!! New Year's Eve!! The first place I stood was near the beginning of a block and it was scarey. I felt I was being lifted off my feet by the crowd. But I was able to move to the block ahead of me and stand in the rear of that line and it was much more sane. Shortly after the big moment of midnight I went back

to my hotel ( I am not a "party animal", sorry to say).

Next day I wandered around town a little and left on the Crescent that afternoon to return to ATL. I ate dinner early....went to the lounge car for a diet soda. The lounge was very very busy, very loud, very noisy, I sort of was not enjoying the train as much as usual. I went back to my room. While the train was sitting in the station in WAS about 6 p.m. I made the decision to change into my p.j.'s, turn all the lights out in my roomette. And just sit there in the dark and put everything out of my mind---I was upset about a thing or two and decided to tune the world out- for awhile--even the train. Did not even check our on time progress....did not conciously do anything except sip on the diet soda and latrine duty. Nothing else entered my mind. Went to bed about 11 p.m. as usual. Slept normally. (remember I was not really sleep deprived, just sort of upset).

Woke up the next morning, still in my self induced state of relaxation, walked to the diner. As soon as I entered the diner(kitchen end) I heard the noise and laughter of the people and smelled the food and "came to" again.

In great shape for the rest of the trip.

We think of the neat things we can DO on the train, meeting strangers in the diner, walking around etc and I am all for that, and that is my normal style. But sometimes we need something else----as I did that time. I feel the only other place one could possilby "shut the world out" would be on a ship. NOT on plane, bus or rail coach.

It was just what I needed. Only on the train. Only in a sleeper.

(NOTE: I have foolishly tried to duplicate that experience a time or two but just wind up realizing I am making a fool of my silly self by shutting myself into my room like that...you have the to have a NEED in order for that to make sense. ) Again, only on the train.

The train is extremely relaxing to me, everything seems to go into this state of nirvana that is only the train, Amtrak is right: Something about a train is magic!!

I love when the tracks are so smooth and you cant feel that you are moving and you look outside and see that you are moving and it seems that you are hovering over the land, that is a neat feeling.

Amtrak is the WAY to travel!

They just need to get some of their problems straightened out, which is unfortunate.

I have to say I had a relaxing trip home yesterday on 97. Usually I'm found in the lounge talking with the crew, you know that sort of thing. But since we had a jerk for a Conductor yesterday I took my stuff, went back to the last seat in the 44 car, read a magazine and relaxed, I didn't even have my radio on. :blink: But I have to say that was the most relaxing trip I'd had in probably more than a year.

Good story.

It reminds me of when I took the "International" from Chicago to Toronto. I only had a coach seat but the Superliner coach I was in had very few people in it. It was so cool to let up the center arm rest and stretch out with a good book. Before I knew it, I was fast asleep. Just something about a train.

IGO

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back