A trip around Ireland

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sealink

Service Attendant
A day on Iarnród Éireann

PART ONE - Dublin to Galway
(Baile Átha Cliath go Gaillimh)

Irish Rail have a four day ticket for €100.00, which gives unlimited travel on all railways in the Republic of Ireland and this is the ticket I used.

Connolly Station
I bought my ticket here the night before I travelled, and the ticket buying process was straightfoward. Although the person serving me did disappear for about two minutes for some reason during the transaction.

I asked if there was a timetable to accompany the ticket and she said no and pointed to the information desk.

They didn't have timetables either, he said they were being reprinted and seemed genuinely sorry. When he saw my ticket he mentioned that a timetable would have been perfect for me, and then pointed at the individual timetable stand. Ho hum. Not the end of the world.

0830 Dublin Heuston to Galway

Dublin Heuston was a much more pleasant station than I recall from my last trip there (I was going to Millstreet) - I remember then it was incredibly noisy and dark - but then I wasn't there on a Sunday morning in Easter!

4514962920_8082616f08.jpg

4514949394_3d3d994a5e.jpg

Boarding started at about 0810hrs, there was quite a queue at Heuston with no one using the barriers. At first I thought the barriers were only for a certain kind of ticket, so I queued, which was weird for someone like me who has been conditioned into using barriers in the UK. I was a bit bemused by the queue of people handing their tickets to the ticket checker, who inserted it into the reader and then handed it back. At this point I walked over to the barriers and was through straightaway.

I was impressed that my ticket worked the barriers - the number of times in the UK that certain tickets are rejected by the barriers is quite annoying, so glad this wasn't an issue here.

The train was two x three car 22 sets, standard class throughout. I found the seats comfortable throughout the journey, although I did have a bay of four to myself. And the plug sockets were great as I was able to charge my phone and camera during the trip.

Another major plus point was that the seats align with the big windows throughout the train. Something that has escaped the designers notice for many recent trainbuilds in the UK.
4514316859_f783d3d619.jpg

4514953866_ffc8223964.jpg

A trolley service went up and down a few times, tickets were checked and I settled back with a coffee.

There were repeated automatic messages asking passengers not to sit in pre-reserved seats, and to their credit I noticed the passengers checking this.

I did find the first few stations from Dublin (Adamstown etc. ) to be very bleak looking affairs. The more traditional stations on the line seemed to have lifts and footbridges foisted on them: I know that the installation of lifts at stations is a legal requirement but I got the feeling that there was no sense of integrating this with the existing heritage of the stations. Most of the stations I travelled to today felt very stark in their design.

At some point past Clara the information system had a minor breakdown. And messages would appear like "This is the train for... 20.7kms" or something similar. At Athlone the information system announced that passengers for Galway should stay in the first three coaches, as the train splits for Westport.

There then followed a broken announcement from the driver (?) which I think was saying to ignore that automatic message, but it came out as

"Passenger... train... 'scommon and .... Port change at Ath....". Seriously. Finally someone came through the train asking if anyone needed Westport and advising them to change at Athlone. So, potentially some confusion caused by a malfunctioning computer, but dealt with by a real person double checking with the passengers.

The rest of the journey was uneventful.
4497426324_8cb55e5109.jpg

Had about an hour in Galway before commencing my next train... to Limerick.

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks like Galway station has been cleaned up quite a bit too since I was there about 10 years back.

In the Dublin area the electrified DART Howth/Malahide to Bray/Graystones through Dublin Connolly/Tara/Pearse and Dun Laoghaire seems to be the most developed and best maintained of the various lines. I am glad that they have started fixing up Heuston and the lines that leave from there.

Are they still running those British Mark III coaches? Or have they all been replaced by new rolling stock?

Thanks for this trip report -- I spent a little over a week in Ireland last year and didn't get to ride any trains! (I was with three friends who are not as "into" trains as I am.) Although we did stay in a bed and breakfast in Cork that had a view of the platforms of the Cork Kent station.

Love these illustrated reports, Sealink. Keep up the good work. I would guess there will be more on this trip.

My wife and I were in Ireland a few years ago and took a bunch of day-long train tours out of Dublin. I was surprised by how small Heuston Station is. Connolly Station is more of a sparse commuter terminal, but Heuston is almost quaint.

GALWAY to LIMERICK JUNCTION via LIMERICK
(Ghaillimh go Luimneach Acomhal trí Luimneach)

Galway Station doesn't seem to have any departure boards or any signs indicating where trains are leaving from. Now I know it has just the two platforms, but I still think a small sign for "Limerick Service" would have been welcome.

Compared to Limerick and Cork, Galway Station was a bit ... naff. Very little for passengers, and it didn't feel very welcoming.
4496792695_cb10db8c97.jpg

A two car train was waiting at the station, at the very end of the platform and I was interested to see how busy the train would be as "Rail Users Ireland" (an organisation campaigning for improvements to services) were against the re-opening of this line, on the basis that there was no money for it. True enough, another line (Waterford to Rosslare) has closed to passengers due to lack of funding/passengers.

4496793895_68138d057a.jpg

I was amongst the first to board...
4496795103_245a10c350.jpg

We left a minute late, with about ten people on the train as far as I could tell, which was branded "Commuter".

The stations on the line where again very stark affairs, with the exception of Ennis. Which I didn't get a picture of.

4496796805_e694da9969.jpg

4496798461_da8379b068.jpg

4497432048_294d1608b0.jpg

At each station, there were passengers boarding and disembarking, but a one car train would have sufficed. (Ignoring the perception of overcrowding that a one car train would create). However the train was busier than the one I got from Limerick to Limerick Junction for the connection to Cork.

No ticket checks took place.

Before long we arrived at Limerick.

4497437388_8fbaa1e6c6.jpg

I think Galway to Limerick could be a "grower". The service didn't feel 'slow' despite its two hours duration. Bus Eireann at Galway were agressively advertising their Galway - Gort service "in 90 minutes" whereas Irish Rail's noticeboard appeared to be some photocopied sheets.

LIMERICK to LIMERICK JUNCTION
(Luimneach go Gabhal Luimnigh)

Limerick Station is another that has improved since my last visit - which was in the late 80s.

4514954934_a6ebb56404.jpg

My day continued, with a chance to spend some time at Limerick Junction, a station I have only ever travelled through.

I was surprised to find that I was boarding the same train I had alighted from 50 minutes previously, the very one that had taken me from Galway. I think it waits 50 minutes because to make a better connection at Limerick Junction for the Cork service.

4497437388_8fbaa1e6c6.jpg

Three people, myself included, boarded.

No ticket checks on the train, but I did get my favourite picture of the trip at Limerick Junction.

4497444534_878f9eaab7.jpg

Next trip... Limerick Junction to Cork.

LIMERICK JUNCTION to CORK
(Gabhal Luimnigh go Corcaigh)

The departure from Limerick Junction was late, there were no announcements at Limerick Junction; a rather cold day and the long platform made it feel a rather desolate station. It did have a nice waiting room however and it was staffed. There were three passengers waiting on the platform, including me.

4496806493_21ccd4483c.jpg

Even looking at this picture makes me feel cold!
4496807251_2fce7bd928.jpg

The Cork train arrived and I found a seat in an empty table of four and settled down for the journey. The seats on this train didn't line up quite the same as the Galway one, but you could still see the scenery.
4497444852_4da6ea276b.jpg

Again, it was uneventful - there were announcements to say not to sit in pre-reserved seats, but at this point in the journey no trolley service, and no ticket check.

We arrived in Cork on time or late, I didn't know, and I was suitably impressed with Cork station. More on this in my final leg : Cork to Dublin.

I look forward to the Cork to Dublin installment as there's a chance, though probably slim, that my SIL will get a job with his company in Cork and most likely I will fly into Dublin if I go to visit them. I have enjoyed reading all of your trip reports.

CORK to DUBLIN HEUSTON
Corcaigh go Baile Átha Cliath Heuston

So my last journey of the day (excepting a dander around Dublin and a packed DART from Tara Street to Lansdowne Road)...

First impression of Cork station: good. Further impressions: good. Several ticket machines, coffee shop and Everything a mainline station should be: bright and airy, and a big steam engine!
4497448482_2a87ccf0d5.jpg

4514322661_734f02d136.jpg

4496812225_bef4ee5bf1.jpg

I had a while to have a wander around the station, it's a lovely redbrick affair with some "retro" features...

4497446108_9f7ace08d8_m.jpg

My carriage awaits...
4497449918_73a6996dbe.jpg

It was the train that I had just arrived on from Limerick Junction. On the return journey, I decided to try First Class, the ticket office told me just to pay the supplement on the train.

The tickets were checked at the barrier in Cork, resulting in quite a queue, and I was directed to one of the Standard Class coaches. I explained that I wanted to pay for first class and was then directed to the front of the train.

I think IE, like UK rail companies, missed a trick here, by not mentioning the upgrade at any time during the call for boarding or any publicity at the station. The First Class carriage was virtually empty, but worse was to come...!

So I settled in to my seat, pleased that there were power sockets, and surprised to find audio channels (although only one channel worked).

4496816519_7eb24ff9f4_m.jpg

4497450628_72c63faf19_m.jpg

I liked the aqua theme on the train, it felt very relaxing.

4496817203_e1cc704514.jpg

Very soon we were on our way, and I spent far too long trying to take artistic photographs... ;-)

4497451470_f45cb694a4.jpg

Some train announcements followed: don't sit in seats with reservations attached, a list of stops and then one to say that the buffet/shop was open. There was no trolley service which was a shame but I made my way to the buffet area and ordered a cheeseburger and a beer, the burger was quite tastey given it was a microwave job and was served with plentiful condiments. The server was alright, not especially friendly. I don't expect conversation but maybe a smile would be nice?

I settled back in my seat for the rest of the journey, waiting for the ticket inspection and the chance to pay the upgrade supplement.

Which never occurred. No one visited the first class carriage, and even when I disembarked at Heuston, there were no staff to be seen.

I had paid €100.00 for my three days of DART and InterCity rail services. Excellent value, but IE didn't want my extra €20.00 :rolleyes:

I enjoyed my experiences, something I want to repeat on different lines again, I felt that with IE, there was something lacking. I am not sure if staff morale is good or not, but the whole experience felt very functional, none of the IE staff I encountered smiled, a bit like Ryanair in that regard.

But that wouldn't put me off using them again - every train I was on was on time, give or take a minute, I think the customer service could be better. (Still a lot better than I encountered on Irish Ferries, who didn't seem to have an Irish member of staff amongst them!).

The next day I went to Dublin Airport the long way: DART to Malahide and bus from there to the airport. Malahide station is very pretty.

Finally, a quick comparison to show that it isn't all bad on IE.

4497005795_e3a461e399_m.jpg

Cramped, isn't it? And it smells of loo. And the seat reservation displays rarely work. This is the First Class compartment on a Virgin Train. Virgin operate on the West Coast Mainline with these new trains.

THE END!

CORK to DUBLIN HEUSTON
Corcaigh go Baile Átha Cliath Heuston

So my last journey of the day (excepting a dander around Dublin and a packed DART from Tara Street to Lansdowne Road)...

First impression of Cork station: good. Further impressions: good. Several ticket machines, coffee shop and Everything a mainline station should be: bright and airy, and a big steam engine!
4497448482_2a87ccf0d5.jpg

4514322661_734f02d136.jpg

4496812225_bef4ee5bf1.jpg

I had a while to have a wander around the station, it's a lovely redbrick affair with some "retro" features...

4497446108_9f7ace08d8_m.jpg

My carriage awaits...
4497449918_73a6996dbe.jpg

It was the train that I had just arrived on from Limerick Junction. On the return journey, I decided to try First Class, the ticket office told me just to pay the supplement on the train.

The tickets were checked at the barrier in Cork, resulting in quite a queue, and I was directed to one of the Standard Class coaches. I explained that I wanted to pay for first class and was then directed to the front of the train.

I think IE, like UK rail companies, missed a trick here, by not mentioning the upgrade at any time during the call for boarding or any publicity at the station. The First Class carriage was virtually empty, but worse was to come...!

So I settled in to my seat, pleased that there were power sockets, and surprised to find audio channels (although only one channel worked).

4496816519_7eb24ff9f4_m.jpg

4497450628_72c63faf19_m.jpg

I liked the aqua theme on the train, it felt very relaxing.

4496817203_e1cc704514.jpg

Very soon we were on our way, and I spent far too long trying to take artistic photographs... ;-)

4497451470_f45cb694a4.jpg

Some train announcements followed: don't sit in seats with reservations attached, a list of stops and then one to say that the buffet/shop was open. There was no trolley service which was a shame but I made my way to the buffet area and ordered a cheeseburger and a beer, the burger was quite tastey given it was a microwave job and was served with plentiful condiments. The server was alright, not especially friendly. I don't expect conversation but maybe a smile would be nice?

I settled back in my seat for the rest of the journey, waiting for the ticket inspection and the chance to pay the upgrade supplement.

Which never occurred. No one visited the first class carriage, and even when I disembarked at Heuston, there were no staff to be seen.

I had paid €100.00 for my three days of DART and InterCity rail services. Excellent value, but IE didn't want my extra €20.00 :rolleyes:

I enjoyed my experiences, something I want to repeat on different lines again, I felt that with IE, there was something lacking. I am not sure if staff morale is good or not, but the whole experience felt very functional, none of the IE staff I encountered smiled, a bit like Ryanair in that regard.

But that wouldn't put me off using them again - every train I was on was on time, give or take a minute, I think the customer service could be better. (Still a lot better than I encountered on Irish Ferries, who didn't seem to have an Irish member of staff amongst them!).

The next day I went to Dublin Airport the long way: DART to Malahide and bus from there to the airport. Malahide station is very pretty.

Finally, a quick comparison to show that it isn't all bad on IE.

4497005795_e3a461e399_m.jpg

Cramped, isn't it? And it smells of loo. And the seat reservation displays rarely work. This is the First Class compartment on a Virgin Train. Virgin operate on the West Coast Mainline with these new trains.

THE END!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back