Aboard a Non-Diverted Coast Starlight

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SubwayNut

Conductor
Just throught people would like to know that I am currently riding on the Coast Starlight that just left Burbak Airport and was scheduled to be diverted via Tehachipi but the track work ended early. I am quite disappointed having planned this trip just to ride it but didnt find out until I stepped aboard. I am in coach only going to Oakland (with the bus to SF) but still don't know what their doing to get me across the closed Bay Bridge. Happy I'm not in a sleeper because a Pacific Parlor must have been bad ordered so there is a CCC car instead.

Just throught people would like to know that I am currently riding on the Coast Starlight that just left Burbak Airport and was scheduled to be diverted via Tehachipi but the track work ended early. I am quite disappointed having planned this trip just to ride it but didnt find out until I stepped aboard. I am in coach only going to Oakland (with the bus to SF) but still don't know what their doing to get me across the closed Bay Bridge. Happy I'm not in a sleeper because a Pacific Parlor must have been bad ordered so there is a CCC car instead.

Not sure if we will be going the same way (I'm assuming) next month at the end of the month, but what is wrong with the tracks? what is a "CCC" car? We will have a roommette, I would have hated to pay all the $$ and then not be able to get to my destination the way we planned? We are going all the way to SEA. Good luck with the rest of your trip!

Not sure if we will be going the same way (I'm assuming) next month at the end of the month, but what is wrong with the tracks? what is a "CCC" car? We will have a roommette, I would have hated to pay all the $$ and then not be able to get to my destination the way we planned? We are going all the way to SEA. Good luck with the rest of your trip!
a ccc is a cross country cafe which is what substitutes for the ppc when it is bad ordered lately. pretty nice car but not a pacific parlour car. you shouldn't have trouble getting to seattle. up was doing planned track work which caused the cs to take tehachapi pass from lax-oak but didn't interfere with the rest of the route

Last edited by a moderator:
ross country cafe, amtrak's failed experiment thats a cross between a sightseers lounge and a diner, it was made to save money. PPC is always better though. Its scary to think that i'll be railfanning in seattle, dont want to see that thing.
help.gif

Just throught people would like to know that I am currently riding on the Coast Starlight that just left... Happy I'm not in a sleeper because a Pacific Parlor must have been bad ordered so there is a CCC car instead.
Perhaps a Pacific Parlor Car was bad-ordered because of a leaky roof. Our PPC for Feb 7 Tehachapi detour and Feb 8 continuation up the normal route to Seattle got all drippy on the 8th when we got rain in Oregon. As the tilt of the car changed, the drip kept moving around all the cafe tables, so I think we all got splashed with a drop or two.

That's the way it goes sometimes. That is why it is better to plan riding a known detour earlier in its detour for that reason--they often are conservative estimating the length of time to complete a project and end early. And a couple of weeks ago, the first planned day of this detour was also scuttled due to an unrelated disruption.

I was was all booked to go including round trip flights to ride this detour, and had to cancel at last minute due to a family accident. Everything is okay now, so will be watching for another round of this possibility......

Not sure if we will be going the same way (I'm assuming) next month at the end of the month, but what is wrong with the tracks? what is a "CCC" car? We will have a roommette, I would have hated to pay all the $ and then not be able to get to my destination the way we planned? We are going all the way to SEA. Good luck with the rest of your trip!
a ccc is a cross country cafe which is what substitutes for the ppc when it is bad ordered lately. pretty nice car but not a pacific parlour car. you shouldn't have trouble getting to seattle. up was doing planned track work which caused the cs to take tehachapi pass from lax-oak but didn't interfere with the rest of the route
Thanks! Whew!

I am in coach only going to Oakland (with the bus to SF) but still don't know what their doing to get me across the closed Bay Bridge.
You probably know this by now, but you will be riding BART across the bay. Work on the Bay Bridge was completed early and the westbound lanes are already open. Amtrak will resume bus service Monday morning.

Ah, AU. Track repairs that inconvenienced many "just regular riders" finished early; Bay Bridge work finishes 33 hours ahead of schedule; Amtrak manages to find a decent substitute for a bad-ordered car which the OP couldn't even ride in since he's in coach...and it generates a petulant posting. I'll bet everyone else on the Starlight was happy to enjoy the beautiful scenery on the coast, and that the sleeping car passengers enjoyed the benefits of the special lounge car provided just for them...I hope so anyway.

Those poor uninformed ("you mean we don't get to see Bakersfield??" "How dare a 50+ year old train car go out of service, and Amtrak replace it with another car which I can't ride in anyway!") non train-fans are probably lucky they didn't know how bad they had it.

Bummer! We traveled the loop on February 7th. We scheduled in December and incorporated the Tehachapi loop into our Around Our Great Nation Loop Tour starting and ending at WAS. As the supposed loop detour day grew closer, we grew nervous but maintained hope. Fortunately, we were not disappointed. For you and others, we have posted a trip log with photos: Once More Through the Loop.

scientist

On my CS trip a week ago the temperature was so cold in the PPC that it was unusable. It seems these cars have many problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back